Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1421 - 1430 of 1430 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
RMU seems to have another problem, and that is football. As a poster on the Bucknell board pointed out, when Monmouth left for the MAAC, the NEC told them they were not welcome to remain as a football-only member. They struggled to find a league and ended up in the Big South. Presumably RMU has taken this into consideration, but it's certainly not clear where football will land.
The NEC is at 8 football teams now. Kicking Bobby Mo to the curb would leave them at 7 schools, which I believe is the minimum to retain their automatic bid to the FCS playoffs. With it not being rare for teams at that level to move, or even drop football, they might be cutting off their nose to spite their face if the make the Colonials leave. They may have to swallow their pride in this case, as it just seems too risky to operate on the edge like that.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
True for Vermont, however I feel good for NJIT on this one. Much better geographic fit in there for them and also makes it so the conference is almost entirely connected by states on the map (only UMBC is a bit of an outlier, and not really by much with very little ground to cover through either Delaware or PA to get to NJ).

However...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hmmmm... unverified profile? I’ve seen the NJIT move reported from multiple sources—some prior to Goodman’s tweet. We’ll see, but this one makes too much sense to not eventually happen. For the Highlanders, playing in the A-Sun is preposterous.
That was just one of the first replies I saw to the tweet.

However, if you go to the commissioners page on their website, this account is linked: ASUN Conference

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Very interesting, indeed. Either way, it’s sort of a lame, small-time look from the ASUN commissioner.

It’s doubtful that NJIT built its new arena to host teams from Florida, Alabama, and Kentucky. One would think the AE would welcome the upgrade in facilities.

1421 - 1430 of 1430 Posts