Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1581 - 1600 of 1643 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The logic is flawed. None of those schools improve our basketball cache. And any commissioner that would sign on to any of these, quite frankly absurd, scenarios should be hung in public square.

There is no school out there that (we know of) is looking to leave their conference that improves this one. None. Despite bandwagon idiots, Siena fan bois, southern reclamation projects, Vermont ass sniffers, none. End of list. The list is zero.

When you find a school looking to mover that would consistently be top 4. Let me know. Find me the next VCU or Davidson. VCU left the CAA because they weren't O D fucking U. Davidson is here because they destroyed their conference year in and out.

Someone is going to say Belmont. And Belmont is awesome. I stand by my zero statement. I reserve the right to change my mind in 5 years :)
That's because there is no logic. If this was started from ODU or Charlotte, then it was from their perspective and not of the A10's and there is no reason that the league should be considering this.

Belmont was the correct choice instead of GMU. But we chose poorly and it's too late now.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I don't know that Belmont was any better choice than GMU. Belmont is still good, but they're also in the OVC which isn't the A10. I think when VCU and GMU joined the conference, the CAA was flying high and they were arguably the 2 best programs in the conference. The hope was that it would sustain and only VCU has been able to. It's very possible the same thing could have happened to Belmont.

At this point we should probably assume it's a ridiculous rumor. Personally what I wish would happen is SMU and Cincinnati get poached from AAC, who then poaches a couple football wannabes, and Wichita State joins A10 because their FB program never gets off the ground. But now that BE took UConn I could see them taking WiSU as a 12th and we stay untouched except maybe lose UMass, who IMO is not replaceable with anyone out there.

Man we need more games and fewer cancellations.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For how good Belmont has been the past decade, why can't they draw 3,000 fans?

I feel like that might be a bit of a deterrent to adding them. They win a ton of games, which is great, but people down there don't seem crazy about hoops. They're as good as they will most likely ever be record-wise, and yet the support is not there.

I assume this has an impact on TV deals, but adding Belmont wouldn't seem to help us. We have too many apathetic fan bases in the A10 as is, so why add another unless a school is leaving?

I can't imagine they would be a consistent top flight A10 with what they offer especially in a much better league. OVC is rarely ranked in the top 18 of conferences.

If the day comes for us to add a school, the only schools that seem appealing are in the Missouri Valley. Big fan bases, good facilities, but obviously location is a killer.

My only wish for the A10 is this: La Salle (and maybe Fordham?!) builds nice 4,500 seat arena, and the bottom half of our conference schedules like Mason did last year.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
My only wish for the A10 is this: La Salle (and maybe Fordham?!) builds nice 4,500 seat arena, and the bottom half of our conference schedules like Mason did last year.
Nice being the operative word b/c simply adding 2,000 seats gets you nothing other than more empty seats. A new facility at Fordham has to incorporate all the amenities us fans don't see on gameday. Duquesne's remodel/renovation looks like a great example of what needs to be done.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I'm totally sold on "no one moves the needle, stand pat" and "14 teams is enough."

I'm also totally sold on "statistically there's a line where someone helps the league" and that's a consistent performance of OOC results which increases the value of our conference games. I think Belmont hits it, but that alone doesn't warrant expansion. I don't think a ODU/Charlotte combo consistently hits that mark. And I see Belmont/OVC to A-10 comparison like Davidson/Big South.

The whole BCS conferences expand, teams get poached, leagues backfill all the way down to the bottom probably has no economic reason to occur and no athletic/academic candidates to start it.
The Pac-12 has no one to invite; Big 12 is doing just fine and doesn't need Cincy/Houston to make them a better league. Who makes those leagues better?

The AAC has no real reason to grow because they have their exemption for a championship game without having 12 members, and 11 teams is perfect for a 20-game Double Round Robin in basketball; which is the same reason the Big East has no reason to expand.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Nice being the operative word b/c simply adding 2,000 seats gets you nothing other than more empty seats. A new facility at Fordham has to incorporate all the amenities us fans don't see on gameday. Duquesne's remodel/renovation looks like a great example of what needs to be done.
I haven’t watched a game at Rose Hill in person, but on TV it looks like it has some charm. Who knows if these older building can be renovated, but as you pointed out smaller but state of the art facilities is the best route for the A10.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
For how good Belmont has been the past decade, why can't they draw 3,000 fans?

I feel like that might be a bit of a deterrent to adding them. They win a ton of games, which is great, but people down there don't seem crazy about hoops. They're as good as they will most likely ever be record-wise, and yet the support is not there.

I assume this has an impact on TV deals, but adding Belmont wouldn't seem to help us. We have too many apathetic fan bases in the A10 as is, so why add another unless a school is leaving?

I can't imagine they would be a consistent top flight A10 with what they offer especially in a much better league. OVC is rarely ranked in the top 18 of conferences.

If the day comes for us to add a school, the only schools that seem appealing are in the Missouri Valley. Big fan bases, good facilities, but obviously location is a killer.

Belmont hasn't had good teams visiting them for games in like an eternity. In the last five years, their best OOC opponents are Vandy, VCU, MTSU and WKU. And when VCU visited a few years ago, and they had 4800.

One thing to remember is that conference affiliation is a two-way street: We're looking for what someone brings us to the conference, but being in our league is going to change the status quo of that program/school and hopefully make them better and stronger. The most extreme example would be TCU basketball, who before being accepted into the Big 12 was 1-15 in the Mountwain West, couldn't beat Air Force or Wyoming at home; but give the Big 12 resources are so vast from where they were, now they got the players to beat No. 2 Baylor last year.

You're not necessarily looking for the "best team" but the best "what that program will likely be WITH US rather than where they are." Which is why the Davidson comparison is so strong in my mind for Belmont. Those two schools look ridiculously similar in terms of consistency in their lesser leagues. Belmont's actually BETTER at being consistent that Davidson was: Belmont has won 19+ games for 16 straight years. Davidson's last 16 years before joining the A-10, they won 19+ games 8 times.

You mention the OVC not being in the top 18 conferences... Davidson's last 2 years in the SoCon that league was ranked 27th and 30th. You have any regrets on Davidson? They've been over .500 in the league every year but one, and that one year was 8-10. I certainly have no regrets about adding Davidson. They made our league better.

Belmont should be our number one expansion candidate (unless Gonzaga calls us). The harder decision is on the actual need to expand.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Belmont hasn't had good teams visiting them for games in like an eternity. In the last five years, their best OOC opponents are Vandy, VCU, MTSU and WKU. And when VCU visited a few years ago, and they had 4800.

One thing to remember is that conference affiliation is a two-way street: We're looking for what someone brings us to the conference, but being in our league is going to change the status quo of that program/school and hopefully make them better and stronger. The most extreme example would be TCU basketball, who before being accepted into the Big 12 was 1-15 in the Mountwain West, couldn't beat Air Force or Wyoming at home; but give the Big 12 resources are so vast from where they were, now they got the players to beat No. 2 Baylor last year.

You're not necessarily looking for the "best team" but the best "what that program will likely be WITH US rather than where they are." Which is why the Davidson comparison is so strong in my mind for Belmont. Those two schools look ridiculously similar in terms of consistency in their lesser leagues. Belmont's actually BETTER at being consistent that Davidson was: Belmont has won 19+ games for 16 straight years. Davidson's last 16 years before joining the A-10, they won 19+ games 8 times.

You mention the OVC not being in the top 18 conferences... Davidson's last 2 years in the SoCon that league was ranked 27th and 30th. You have any regrets on Davidson? They've been over .500 in the league every year but one, and that one year was 8-10. I certainly have no regrets about adding Davidson. They made our league better.

Belmont should be our number one expansion candidate (unless Gonzaga calls us). The harder decision is on the actual need to expand.
They've been successful no doubt. The attendance figures are still odd to me as there are a handful of teams that play in similar conferences, but draw double to triple what Belmont does.

BUT, that's besides the point.

Would the A10 have any issue with Belmont's location? They are about five hours from StL and Dayton, and the next closest team is Davidson at 6 1/2 hours. About 10+ hours to everyone else.

Belmont does have a large budget which is nice, but man, having to go that far for so many sports would be tough.

Old D has won 22+ games in 11 of the last 17 years. The football aspirations are not ideal, so they don't seem like they'd fit what we ideally want in a member.

I don't want to get murdered for saying this, but would Siena be that awful? They've won 20+ in seven of the last 14 and they draw nice crowds.

FOR THE RECORD, I'd only add Siena if we lost three or four members. There's just not many desirable teams on the east coast.

I wouldn't mind having only 10 conference members so long as that 10 includes UD, SLU, VCU and Richmond....and The Bonnies of course.

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
I haven’t watched a game at Rose Hill in person, but on TV it looks like it has some charm. Who knows if these older building can be renovated, but as you pointed out smaller but state of the art facilities is the best route for the A10.
You can have a quaint, small arena. Players don't really prioritize that. Practice facilities and other amentities, though, are a must.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Oh, come on, ace. I love the hot dog and pretzel coffee tables.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Think ODU is an acceptable replacement of LaSalle, which is in dire straits. They had NCAA success, near many universities and would not affect travel expenses negatively and keep us with an even number of teams.

Whether or not a university plays football should not matter, but what matters if they will help the conference and had a history of NCAA success. ODU checks those boxes and many university play football at various levels. It's their basketball program that matters most.

Both mid-west A10 teams Dayton and St Louis are at risk for the Big East. While Nashville would be a nice travel location, think a more consolidated footprint would be desirable as Covid has put a strain on athletic budgets..

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
NCAA success is misleading as hell though.

Winning consistently is far more important than "did they win 3 games in row in March?"

I once statistically broke down the difference between Siena and LaSalle (probably like 8 years ago, by now) over like 20 years in terms of their wins/losses vs RPI ranges in conference and non-conference. La Salle with one NCAA bid, Siena with like 8 NCAA bids. Siena LOOKS LIKE a stronger program....

... but the breakdowns are about the same by win pct. The difference is that Siena might play Syracuse and lose OOC, while LaSalle is DEFINITELY playing Villanova, Temple, Drexel and Penn OOC every year; and then gets to face teams like Dayton, VCU, SLU, previously Xavier, Bona, URI or "insert A-10's top teams here," while the MAAC doesn't have anyone near as good at the top, and a handful of teams who are decent (Iona, usually), and then a bunch of bad teams.

Basically, LaSalle and Siena are the same program: One misses the NCAA Tournament by finishing mid-to-bottom of a strong conference (and facing Nova every year), and the other can go 24-8 while playing only a handful of games against anyone who'd be top half of the A-10. Siena can win the MAAC tournament in any given year with 3 wins, one upset over a good team; while LaSalle's gotta win four and beat three good teams IN A ROW to win the auto-bid.

It's not ODU's fault the bottom half of the league makes them a one-bid league. ODU, WKU, MTSU, Marshall, La Tech, UAB can all play and are peers with many of the A-10's inconsistent programs that bounce between A-10 favorites and rebuilding (i.e. Saint Louis).

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Last time UMass was relevant in basketball.
As far as winning in March, UMass was in the NIT Final 4 in 2008 and 2012 and did make the Big Dance in 2014 and currently in the top 4 of the A10 standings.

While some St. Joes and St Bonaventure fans dislike football. Saying resources should be concentrated on basketball, you should be respectful as many A10 teams play football at different levels, as Dayton, Dukes, Fordham, URI, Richmond, and UMass. UMass facilities are at the top end of the A10 so not even a valid argument. Pathway for major bowl access along sky rocketing athletic budges ended for most G5 conferences with the CFP which only allows P5 teams to compete in the playoffs and most major bowls. It's an inappropriate, bias view you should not support football and allocate more to basketball. This goes for potential A10 universities as ODU.

1581 - 1600 of 1643 Posts