Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1741 - 1760 of 1784 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Wait, were people actually thinking anyone here was suggesting Gonzaga would join an eastern-based conference?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Wait, were people actually thinking anyone here was suggesting Gonzaga would join an eastern-based conference?
Sadly, jp was up too late one night and said A10 should throw them an invite, and went into how it could work on a 4 year trial period. Zags to the BE has been floated by pundits off this board.

They better not do something dumb like cave to public haranguing and can Mark Few for an alleged DUI (or actual DUI for that matter).

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,776 Posts
The wild thing is this. What if the MWC adds St. Mary's for hoops only? Would that be enough to push Gonzaga's hand? It's hard to say, but man would that be a weak conference without those two.

GCU and Seattle U would be the only likely adds, IMO. SeattleU is Jesuit and close to other WCC schools.

NMSU could possibly be added, but seems like a major long shot. Their football stinks, but the closest team to Las Cruces is 10 hours away. They don't seem to fit the WCC profile at all besides being one of the best western teams without a good home.

The WCC has virtually no good options for adding teams. I do think GCU would be a nice add. Seattle U is pretty bad, but who knows what you'd do with such few options.
I just don't see what a move to the MWC does for Gonzaga or St. Mary's. As is, they're surrounded by peer institutions and finish at or near the top of the conference every year. For the millionth time: know who and what you are, who and what you aren't, and try your best to maximize the former. Too many athletics departments live in "We can all be the next BLANK" fantasy land.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just don't see what a move to the MWC does for Gonzaga or St. Mary's. As is, they're surrounded by peer institutions and finish at or near the top of the conference every year. For the millionth time: know who and what you are, who and what you aren't, and try your best to maximize the former. Too many athletics departments live in "We can all be the next BLANK" fantasy land.
This is true...I was just curious to see if an even further depleted WCC would bother the Zags. Obviously losing BYU isn't that major as they were not members all that long.

I am more curious to see what happens to Temple, Memphis, Tulsa and of course Wichita.

Lesson to Wichita for joining the AAC. There will be more moves on the horizon. Do you want to be in a conference in which the top remaining three programs are all football schools that'll jump at the first whiff of a good offer?

I still think the AAC can be the best G5 for football, but their days of being the best hoops conference outside of the P5 + Big East is likely over.

IMO, the new AAC will probably struggle with identifying programs that can win v. programs that are in desirable locations. I'd go for the former as I do think you'd get more eyeballs on a game featuring Marshall or Louisiana than you would in Atlanta with Georgia State.

Teams have to be good to generate interest. Just because a school exists in a major MSA does not mean you'll get that market.

My vision of the new AAC is this:

Memphis, SMU, Temple, Tulsa, ECU, USF, Navy, Old Dominion, Louisiana, UAB, UTSA and Tulane.

If I'm Memphis, Tulsa or Temple, what do I do? I think Memphis and Tulsa could fit into the Mountain West, but 14 teams might be too many.

Do they stick with the above conference? I see no avenues in which any of them end up in a conference better than the above or the MWC. I know AAC has a good TV contract now, but that sure as hell won't be the case losing three top programs.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Yeah... that Gonzaga thing simply won't happen. If they did anything crazy like that, it would be with the Big East. Really, though, what's in it for GU to change anything? They essentially rule the roost in the WCC. When BYU leaves, what changes tangibly for the Bulldogs' program? Nothing.

Who might the WCC add? Anyone? Stay at nine and get back to the 16-game round robin? Few schools out west fit the league's private, Christian profile. Grand Canyon has the whole for-profit thing going against it. Gonzaga probably doesn't want an in-state neighbor in Seattle U. Cal Baptist is still new to D1, but has a solid facility. University of Denver, maybe?
If the WCC adds someone to replace BYU, it would definitely be Cal Baptist. Gonzaga has always been anti-Seattle (and the WCC ain't going to add them unless GU leaves). Denver is too far/not a fit/hockey school. Grand Canyon, while being in the Phoenix market, started as a for-profit, and while they've transitioned to a non-profit, they're still the stink on them of a diploma mill school. The Presidents would never go for them.

And the WCC has already been playing a 16-game schedule. That's the concessions they made to Gonzaga along with the NCAA unit formula to prevent them from going to the Mountain West previously.

Sadly, jp was up too late one night and said A10 should throw them an invite, and went into how it could work on a 4 year trial period. Zags to the BE has been floated by pundits off this board.

They better not do something dumb like cave to public haranguing and can Mark Few for an alleged DUI (or actual DUI for that matter).
I live out west! I'm always up late compared to you guys! I don't think Gonzaga would join the A-10, or Big East, because I think it's just a little too insane travel wise.

When I was 37, I messaged by female BFF with the question of "am I too old to date a 22 year old?" and her reply was "Oh, honey, you let her decide that!"

That's where I'm at with Gonzaga. It almost certainly won't work as a marriage, but we could be a lot of fun in the short term if they're willing. And if they're willing, why the hell not? If Gonzaga wants to screw up her life by banging a better basketball league... we'd rather it be us.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I am more curious to see what happens to Temple, Memphis, Tulsa and of course Wichita.

Just because a school exists in a major MSA does not mean you'll get that market.

My vision of the new AAC is this: Memphis, Temple, Tulsa, ECU, USF, Navy, App State, Louisiana, UAB, Marshall, UTSA and Tulane.

If I'm Memphis, Tulsa or Temple, what do I do? I think Memphis and Tulsa could fit into the Mountain West, but 14 teams might be too many.

Do they stick with the above conference? I see no avenues in which any of them end up in a conference better than the above or the MWC. I know AAC has a good TV contract now, but that sure as hell won't be the case losing three top programs.
Right, if the AAC is looking for schools who "check all the boxes" they're going to struggle to come up with more than two. I'd see UAB and Buffalo being their two best.

If they go market hunting, there's every chance they bring in schools like Charlotte, Rice, FAU and UTSA... who are good markets, but turned C-USA into a one-bid league.

I think the most likely scenario, is they take the best choice from each philosophy. Someone who's good in football, someone who's pretty good in football and pretty good in basketball, someone who's in a big market all to themselves, and someone who's just in a big market, regardless of how bad they are.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Right, if the AAC is looking for schools who "check all the boxes" they're going to struggle to come up with more than two. I'd see UAB and Buffalo being their two best.

If they go market hunting, there's every chance they bring in schools like Charlotte, Rice, FAU and UTSA... who are good markets, but turned C-USA into a one-bid league.

I think the most likely scenario, is they take the best choice from each philosophy. Someone who's good in football, someone who's pretty good in football and pretty good in basketball, someone who's in a big market all to themselves, and someone who's just in a big market, regardless of how bad they are.
I just don't think UB has the facilities or fan support that would allow them an invite to the league. Also, I don't think Buffalo is a strong enough recruiting base for any of the schools in terms of football.

Football is still what drives this move, and I think UB has too many knocks against them, which is unfortunate as they have built a good athletic program over the past decade.

While Old Dominion, has not been great on the field since they've joined the FBS ranks, they have a great stadium and are located in the southeast in a growing city. They obviously have a strong basketball history, so I think they'd make sense.

Louisiana is not in a major city, but located in a football recruiting hotbed and not far from Houston or New Orleans. I think they'd get an invite.

UAB is another Louisiana, so I think they'd get the nod, too. I'd have to imagine the AAC would want to go to 12 teams, but I have no idea what to expect there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I was 37, I messaged by female BFF with the question of "am I too old to date a 22 year old?" and her reply was "Oh, honey, you let her decide that!"

That's where I'm at with Gonzaga. It almost certainly won't work as a marriage, but we could be a lot of fun in the short term if they're willing. And if they're willing, why the hell not? If Gonzaga wants to screw up her life by banging a better basketball league... we'd rather it be us.
This may be my favorite analogy ever on this board!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
A 22 year old decided she wanted to date a 34 year old back in the day. A couple of years later, and six weeks before the wedding, she decided she had been there and done that.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The question I have is whether this 22 year old was like Gonzaga or where they more comparable to Fordham.

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
I think temple basketball is simply a relic at this point. They went in on football too much for too long, and basketball there is largely dead.

Add them back if you want, but don't expect them to be the temple of Dunphy, let alone Chaney.

·
Piker
10,286 Posts
Bernie should call and speak to Temple, Memphis and Wichita State. Why not?

Reactions: JonBoy

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Not Memphis, but TU and WSU definitely. Temple because of the past ties. WSU because they're still just a BB school. Not sold on Memphis due to location and they are still a realignment target. However, we have some bloat already and unless a school leaves on their own volition we're stuck with the 14 we currently have for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Temple belongs in the A10, bring them back if they want to come back. I wouldnt reach out the them though, I would let them come crawling back. They did make the NCAAT a few years ago so its not like they are so far down a hole they can never get out from.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
I would welcome Temple coming back. Relevant history and rivalries in the A-10 would be good for the Owls. Some used to question having 3 Philly schools in the conference, but I don't think it was ever a detriment. As for Temple football, they could go independent and perhaps work out some sort of scheduling alliance with other independent schools, particularly the Northeast schools like UMass, UConn, and Army?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe I'm off here, but there's NO way Temple is pulling the plug on their football program just yet. A few months ago they were talking about building an "on campus" stadium, but that was put on hold. They've been pretty solid over the past decade or so making seven bowl games and hosting a college game day against ND. Not saying hosting GD matters, but it builds excitement around the program. Averaging around 30,000 is pretty good for G5 football.

They've had more success than UConn, and look at how poor most of the independents are right now. UConn is a mess and UMass has been very poor. D1 Independent football is more pointless than going undefeated in the MAC.

Having an independent football is very difficult right now. With most conferences going to an additional conference game, it'll be harder than ever to put together an attractive schedule to recruits.

Would I want Temple back in the A10? Of course, they are a great brand, and while they've been "down" the past years, they've still made eight NCAA appearances since 2008.

I would much rather see what WSU is interested in doing. The AAC is an absolute mess, and there's no way Memphis and SMU/Tulsa are looking to stay long term. Once those two leave, you're in a hoops conference worse than the CUSA.

Have to imagine MWC makes a run at them, too, as they might be losing teams in the near future (SDSU, CSU, Boise).

Schools like Temple still think there's a shot at getting a spot at the big boys table, which is highly unlikely. But I guess if Buffalo fans think they have a shot, then Temple most certainly does...

1741 - 1760 of 1784 Posts