Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1821 - 1840 of 1882 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was thinking UNCG would be a perfect candidate for the A10. For the past decade they've been a team that has made the NCAA tournament a few times and have often been competitive against some of the top teams in the nation. I know that Wes Miller when to UC. But they replaced him with the former radford coach and so I still expect them to compete in the SOCON. Davidson would then get another team within the state and that could lead to another rivalry series within the A10. I think that would be the best team that the conference could add

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,809 Posts
I was thinking UNCG would be a perfect candidate for the A10. For the past decade they've been a team that has made the NCAA tournament a few times and have often been competitive against some of the top teams in the nation. I know that Wes Miller when to UC. But they replaced him with the former radford coach and so I still expect them to compete in the SOCON. Davidson would then get another team within the state and that could lead to another rivalry series within the A10. I think that would be the best team that the conference could add
What does UNCG bring to the league that it doesn't already have? They feel like more of a CAA fit than anything else.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I'd put Northern Kentucky ahead of UNCG.

I want someone who's just churning out 20-win seasons year after a year after year. I don't care about making NCAA tournaments, because the degree of difficulty getting to the NCAA's is so vastly different than being an A-10 member (and it's not that great as an A-10 member compared to the Cartel Cakewalk).

But Davidson was a great add because even if the A-10 was "four games harder" than the SoCon, that meant Davidson was gonna win like 17-22 games a year instead of 21-26 games a year; and if they're winning OOC at a high clip, they're helping the league.

That's why I key on Belmont, because that's what they do: 20 win seasons, constantly. And just because Belmont just joined the MVC doesn't mean we can't add Belmont anymore. We still can if we have a reason to.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I'd put Northern Kentucky ahead of UNCG.
Stop it. Both you and GMU fan. We don't need to add. We don't need to analyze who's the best left out there between directional/regional state schools. We're too bloated already. Division I should shrink by about 120 schools and/or 6-8 conferences. The A10 should shrink by about 2-4 schools.

Seriously.. UNCG? NKU? Can I get a Vermont or Siena mention while we're at it? Even Belmont - nice school and program and all, but without a subtraction do they add anything? We're in a good spot. We don't need to play the catch up or replacement game right now because any impact program is already in a good home. The only way we could find ourselves squirming is if Wichita State was actively looking and we couldn't offer because - see above - we're too bloated.

The A10 is going to be what it is unless a faction breaks and joins with the 3 or 4 desirable schools out there that might want/need a new home and they form a new conference. Kick off the lawsuits and after a few years of litigation and a lot of hard feelings, we'll have our east coast version of the WAC/MW divorce. And you'll still have 18 schools that need everything to go perfectly all season to get an AL bid to the dance.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Twitterverse saying Murray State to MVC is imminent. My two cents: none of these schools move the needle and will have no effect on the real issue: the P5 and Bigeast breaking off having their own tournament. They may find a way to get schools like Dayton VCU (zags to Pac 12 basketball only) involved but everyone else will be in the same boat if that happens whether they are in the MVC or A10.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,809 Posts
We have a good group of basketball-focused (mostly) schools—many of which have strong traditions over the decades. The issue is implementing firm, enforceable league protocols regarding facilities and scheduling. The Duquesne model has been fantastic, as others have said, and needs to be adopted by La Salle, Fordham, GW, and anyone else who isn’t expected to compete for an at-large bid in a given season. If we do that, then expansion is unnecessary. Nobody out there moves the needle like VCU or Butler did.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What does UNCG bring to the league that it doesn't already have? They feel like more of a CAA fit than anything else.
There's virtually no one left that adds any real value to the conference. Sure, Siena or Charleston could be OK adds, but would not be a major player in the conference.

What we really need is for programs to commit to scheduling better and put a hard cap on buy games. Bringing in a program with a miniscule hoops budget will likely lead to a team that goes 4-9 or 5-8 most years OOC. No thanks.

I much rather have St. Bonaventure play a home game against Coppin State than go on the road to play Duke or Ohio St. most years.

A10 currently has a strong top 8. The rest of our conference is too inconsistent to be relied upon.

We really should be a four-bid league each year and not two maybe three.

Please tell me why VCU, Dayton and Saint Louis should be locks most years?

Throw in Davidson, St. Bonaventure, Richmond, URI and Saint Joe's/GW (maybe) and that gets you to four or five NCAA teams.

It's time for the A10 to pad their schedule OOC and stop playing a ton of road games year, after year because they won't pony up $40K to avoid a trip to some middling crap low major.

Bona has a good schedule this year, but let's hope they don't revert back to their typical schedule of four or five crap road games before A10 play starts.

I know Bonaventure isn't the only one at fault here (looking at you Davidson and Joes), but we really shouldn't be taking yearly trips to Syracuse or UNC, etc. Those games are pointless and you win 10% of the time at best.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Fordham could build an arena tomorrow and it won’t matter if if P5 and Big East decide to have their own tournament. Duquesne The Bonnie’s George Mason et al are not getting invited to that cool kids party. Wake Forest and DePaul are the bottom of that league.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,809 Posts
…if P5 and Big East decide to have their own tournament.
I have seen no evidence of this being a realistic threat. It’s been speculated about for years, but the current iteration of “March Madness” is the financial bell cow.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
None of the MWC schools are leaving for the AAC. This is now confirmed as of this morning with CSU and AFA officially saying they're not moving. Looks like C-USA and SBC will be approached now (potentially the MAC if they look at Buffalo or Toledo).

UMass will still be waiting patiently for an invite that won't come.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have seen no evidence of this being a realistic threat. It’s been speculated about for years, but the current iteration of “March Madness” is the financial bell cow.
football is the evidence. It’s is all but done there and they are raking in the cash without sharing it with the smaller conferences. the idea that there are not discussions about why are we sharing tournament cash with all these smaller conferences when we can just play each other in the regular ooc season (tv would love that) and have our own tournament, is naive. I do not want it to happen but it is very possible If not probable. First step would be to get rid of automatic bids.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,809 Posts
football is the evidence. It’s is all but done there and they are raking in the cash without sharing it with the smaller conferences. the idea that there are not discussions about why are we sharing tournament cash with all these smaller conferences when we can just play each other in the regular ooc season (tv would love that) and have our own tournament, is naive. I do not want it to happen but it is very possible If not probable. First step would be to get rid of automatic bids.
In football, though, there was never a single entity as lucrative as the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. It would never have the same widespread appeal if it exclusively included the P5 and Big East.

·
Registered
592 Posts
In football, though, there was never a single entity as lucrative as the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. It would never have the same widespread appeal if it exclusively included the P5 and Big East.
that is certainly the argument against it happening but the BCS made a lot of money, the current system makes more. The argument would be sure we are making money now but we can make more with our own tournament. I am sure there is some number crunching going on.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
FYI I've been seeing posts by some very sad Wichita fans at this point. They know the only real expansion plan for the AAC is back in the East, and there's not a good combination of football and basketball available in that group. With Memphis having one foot out the door*, basketball in the AAC is going to suffer even more without being able to grab MWC schools.

*Was reading up somewhere, apparently the B12 media contract limits them to a max of 14 teams at any given time. With Texas and Oklahoma not out yet, they're currently unable to invite any more, which is potentially why there's a lot of "There will be more in the future" as opposed to any moved right now. Legally unable to add anyone else yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the news this morning there is a possibility that UMASS might leave. Would probably want to add one team. That's why I was suggesting adding UNCG to the A10

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
lol there is a near 0 chance that UMass leaves. If CUSA gets desperate enough after an AAC raid, they might look our way...but they also might just invite JMU to jump up to FBS instead.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Stop it. Both you and GMU fan. We don't need to add. We don't need to analyze who's the best left out there between directional/regional state schools. We're too bloated already. Division I should shrink by about 120 schools and/or 6-8 conferences. The A10 should shrink by about 2-4 schools.
We don't disagree. Which is why I said "if we have a reason to" at the end of the post!

At the same though, complacency and not paying attention to, or being prepared for, the ever-changing world we exist in is a really bad strategy. We could keep the same membership for the next 40 years and be fine with what we have... and we should keep a list of the top four schools we'd want to add to join the A-10 (or the top 5 candidates to replace our head coaches) at all times, because that's just what you do.

I mean, this stuff isn't as fun to talk about as say, actual basketball! But it's the offseason. (You really want me talking about everyone's OOC schedules again?). Everyone's recruits are going to be awesome, everyone's returnees are going to be improved, and all 14 of us are going to finish in the top half of the league. Recruiting talk is silly and pointless because it's subjective (last coach to say "Well, these were just the best kids we could get, we're not really excited about our incoming class" ?), While the aspects of conference realignment have way more objective data points (and I'm a huge nerd).

1821 - 1840 of 1882 Posts