Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1861 - 1880 of 1882 Posts

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,809 Posts
Yet the AAC says, "We have zero interest in that. That's not in our plan." :rolleyes:
For the millionth time: know who/what you are, who/what you aren’t, embrace that reality, and work your cock off to maximize your strengths. Over time, significant progress can be made.

The AAC leadership and most of its members always seem to be mimicking others (in vain) and chasing the dragon.

·
Registered
592 Posts
There is no way the P5 allows this to continue:

Media rights have not been priced for regionalization, a source said. The Group of Five currently splits a 22% share of the $600 million annual CFP payout. Power Five conferences each get $66 million annually.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,809 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Now that the public school barrier has been crossed by adding UConn, it would make sense for the Big East to pursue Wichita State as a “travel partner” for Creighton. Other than the Shockers, there aren’t any obvious candidates (considering regional politics and market redundancies).
Pretty sure UCONN was only an exception due to their previous history with the Big East. There was another tweet that came out saying they wouldn't care about geography in their discussions (aka they might think about Gonzaga before realizing it wouldn't work). But also the most logical fits that would be more in the footprint would be Dayton and SLU. Whether or not they get invited is a different story.

This could all just be a "hey we're signing a new media deal, we should check with the networks to see how big a raise we can get if we add specific teams. If it's not good enough then we won't add any more teams" though. Which is an entirely reasonable viewpoint when your media deal is most of the way through.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
JP: Inflation? You are really reaching and literally don’t have one actual number to support your position. It is also evident you are not an antitrust lawyer. For the P5 the OOC season is already meaningless. That is why they are increasing the conference games and neutral sight games against other p5 teams (also to hurt mid majors). Also with less teams sharing in the tournament they can get less tv money but still make more. Tv may pay more for OOC games. You literally have no idea what the numbers are. But we do know that the big conferences continue to do everything they can to separate themselves. If you don’t think they are looking at this you are naive.
No, I'm not reaching. What's the percentage of revenues that P5 earns in college athletics vs non-P5? If you can provide a number, we can talk about the amount of cash the BCS stands to gain by breaking away from the NCAA.

Then you can go average football ticket price vs attendance for OOC games and see if making their OWN LEAGUE, playing only themselves actually makes sense. (It does not). Like I said, there is nothing left to accomplish by breaking away.... they have such a high percentage of money that they are TOTALLY WILLING to set "non-AQ" criteria and pay off the G5 to prevent lawsuits.

They are far better off dominating the NCAA than they are forming their own separate league. I absolutely fucking hate the entire BCS with a passion. If you ever see a news story saying "Syracuse University's campus burnt to the ground and there was a substantial amount of salt left at the scene" your number one suspect is JP...

But PRETENDING it's a fair playing field in football and basketball is a ridiculously better business plan for the BCS/P5 than breaking away.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
As an addendum to my post above: here is quote from a mid major coach to Matt Norlander on why he thinks the move of Texas and OU to SEC is bad for College Basketball:
  • "It concerns me as a mid-major coach in that I believe we are headed to the Autonomy Five attempting to break off."
You're using a coach quote as your argument? Coaches know jack shit about how the world of college athletics work. Boeheim would rather be in the Big East than ACC. They don't understand why they're playing on a Monday or Tuesday on national TV instead of a Thursday/Saturday model.

The number of coaches I've had ASK ME to explain how RPI and scheduling actually works would blow your mind. They are head basketball coaches because they know the Xs and Os of BASKETBALL, not because they know the BUSINESS OF SPORTS.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You are an expert in literally none of this. You are an internet poster theorizing. You do not provide one number to support your opinions that they are better off the way things are. the P5 on the other hand are looking at the actual numbers. If you don’t think midmajor coaches are figuring out how this effects them then you are delusional. Their career path dictates they engage, remember the coaches were against the transfer rule (high and mid major) because of the effect it would have on mid majors. The powers that be ignored them furthering the divide between the haves and have nots. Now they are sounding the alarm about a potential split.

I will end with how this began: it is a perfect time for there to be a split. I do not want it to happen. But it is being considered and every action by the P5 has been to the detriment of smaller conferences. That is a fact and I see no reason for it to not continue. It’s all about media rights money, not ticket sales. And who says ticket sales won’t be better if they split? You do not know the answer to that question regardless of how much you pretend you do.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Rich, to be fair, I think JP works in sports administration at the college level. He may come across as an opinionated know-it-all, but this is actually in his wheelhouse.

Personal opinion, I believe they squeeze the little guy out of AL bids but the NCAAT is lucrative enough - for now - that they don't want full autonomy, just the biggest slice of the pie possible. However football is a different animal and if they can make it work, they will break that off.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Regardless of his position, unless he has the actual numbers the P5 are looking, their projections, knowledge regarding tv contract negotiations, status of renegotiating the tournament contract then there is no way he can declare what the best business model is. It is impossible. The information everyone knows is the trend for every move to distance the top conferences from everyone else.

Agree on automatic bids and said that a few pages ago. Whether they break off, who knows but it is certainly a possibility given the recent changes and this is the window to do it.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,809 Posts
Regardless of his position, unless he has the actual numbers the P5 are looking, their projections, knowledge regarding tv contract negotiations, status of renegotiating the tournament contract then there is no way he can declare what the best business model is. It is impossible. The information everyone knows is the trend for every move to distance the top conferences from everyone else.

Agree on automatic bids and said that a few pages ago. Whether they break off, who knows but it is certainly a possibility given the recent changes and this is the window to do it.
Rather than eliminating auto bids, which makes March so exciting, why not expand to 72 teams? The 15s and 16s should “play in” for each region. That would open up more at-large bids for the top 50ish teams.

·
Piker
10,321 Posts
Val Ackerman put out "in the back of my head I am thinking of proposing Big East expansion and it sent several A10 fanbases into a tizzy.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Rather than eliminating auto bids, which makes March so exciting, why not expand to 72 teams? The 15s and 16s should “play in” for each region. That would open up more at-large bids for the top 50ish teams.
I liked Lunardi's dual-bid proposal he floated around last March, with an 80 teams tournament. Conference regular and auto-bid champs get in and you round out the field with AL's until you reach 80. I think he also said no improving resume via conference tournament, unless you win obviously. That could make the tournament even better. Not sure the P5's want "better" though.

1861 - 1880 of 1882 Posts