Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
19 games in, almost a quarter of a season... And the Pistons are still respectable! Past half-decade-plus we've lost that status by the tenth game! Already doubled our 30-game-win-total from last season. 11 more games? Maybe they win 6 or 7... They could be at 16 or 17 wins through 30 games. I don't want to get too excited, maybe that's downright crazy talk for a Pistons fan, expecting 16 or 17 wins through 30?

But I keep thinking... just keep your heads above water until Jennings is ready to come back, stay strong through 40-45... He can play himself into shape by game 60-65, and then they've got that boost when they need to climb over the other teams for seeding. I think that the starters are going to be dead come the playoffs... but the bright side is that they're mostly young legs, and guys like Dre have proven that they'll do what it takes to improve each off season where they need to (yeah yeah, I know: he should have gotten around to free throw shooting by now).

This season's grinder will be good for the young guys, and they'll feel like a million bucks next season after Van Gundy has had another off-season to fill out his bench (and assuming they're not missing key pieces again).

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Just imagine if they could upgrade Ilyasova to a better stretch 4 who could actually rebound a little and possibly even defend. I'm not talking about Draymond Green, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, or Paul Millsap even but maybe somebody like a Ryan Anderson or a Mirotic with a more well-rounded offensive game. The rest of their starting 5 seems like a good match.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what future off-seasons are for. The five year Van Gundy plan has plenty of time built in right now.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still respectable! Half a game off the pace for the 2-seed in a competitive East, and only one game ahead of the 9-seed (the 1-non-seed?). 17-12 is a hell of a place to be for a team that started last season 6-23 through 29 games. This is where last year's team took off (11-3 over the next 14 games, part of a total 12-3 stretch that culminated in Jennings' 21 assist game and then blowing out his achilles the next game).

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
svg is a good coach..he pretty much made Dwight into an elite player
SVG has done two things "wrong" in his career as a head coach:

1. He was the guy in the wrong place at the wrong time when Pat Riley decided he wanted another ring.

2. He was the guy Dwight Howard wanted out if he was going to stay in Orlando.

I'm going to say that, looking back on it, neither of those things was really his fault. And he's been a consummate professional in response to the Riley thing, I don't think he's EVER expressed any bitterness, or even let on that that was the reasoning behind his leaving. I'm happy to have him in charge of the Pistons, he seems to be doing some pretty great things. It is going to take a major catastrophe for him to not wind up in Detroit for more than the next three seasons.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pistons were 5-0.... Pistons were 17-12... Pistons are 42-37. They got out to that 5-0 hot start, and they've been a .500 team since - 37-37 over 74 games. Normally I don't like to take out 'hot' stretches when looking back on a season, but 34-40 or 35-39 would make me feel a lot more irritated about the way the season has gone considering the 5-0 start.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Just imagine if they could upgrade Ilyasova to a better stretch 4 who could actually rebound a little and possibly even defend. I'm not talking about Draymond Green, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, or Paul Millsap even but maybe somebody like a Ryan Anderson or a Mirotic with a more well-rounded offensive game. The rest of their starting 5 seems like a good match.
Thats what future off-seasons are for. The five year Van Gundy plan has plenty of time built in right now.
Would ya look at that?

Do you think Tobias Harris is that guy? I happen to think that he could be. Given solid progression from Drummond, KCP, Stanley Johnson, and possibly from Tobias as well, this team could be in the mix for a top 4 seed this coming season with just a few small moves to fill out the bench unit with competent veterans.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would ya look at that?

Do you think Tobias Harris is that guy? I happen to think that he could be. Given solid progression from Drummond, KCP, Stanley Johnson, and possibly from Tobias as well, this team could be in the mix for a top 4 seed this coming season with just a few small moves to fill out the bench unit with competent veterans.
What they have, I think, is a recipe for "Toronto." This group could mature into a group that is yearly what Toronto seems to be now. Damn good team, not a team you think is gonna win rings. My hopes are hinged on either Drummond learning to make 60% of his free throws or Stanley Johnson turning into a true centerpiece. If one of those two things happen - they go from Toronto potentially to a legit championship contender.

Of course, neither of those things is likely. But my fingers are crossed. I think "likely" is this core turns into a Toronto caliber team. Highly unlikely is they break through to a Finals with this team. Pipe dream, but its there, is the Stan or Dre hope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts