Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure maybe this one deserves its own thread.

Surprised?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
That's not gonna make the guys in the Power 6 happy.

·
Piker
9,112 Posts
People love to say P6. Not sure why but oh well. It is P5 due to football. Maybe it is just me that finds it funny.

Reactions: Bill Russell

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
People love to say P6. Not sure why but oh well. It is P5 due to football. Maybe it is just me that finds it funny.
Yeah... it’s a Big East thing. They want to shoehorn themselves into that company, but the “P5” term is rooted in the soulless, corporate football conglomerates. Academics needn’t apply.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Somewhere in my past studies, I remember some negative consequences when the “haves” took more and more and more and more from the “have-nots”. Can anyone refresh my Bushmills’d memory?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yeah... it’s a Big East thing. They want to shoehorn themselves into that company, but the “P5” term is rooted in the soulless, corporate football conglomerates. Academics needn’t apply.
I went to an ECU football game last year with a friend that is a season ticket holder. They had P6 stuff everywhere, including the first down markers. It supposedly came from the conference advocating for it. Maybe it was just me, but it came across as desperate.

·
Piker
9,112 Posts
I went to an ECU football game last year with a friend that is a season ticket holder. They had P6 stuff everywhere, including the first down markers. It supposedly came from the conference advocating for it. Maybe it was just me, but it came across as desperate.
There has been a pillow fight between the Big East and the AAC for that made up moniker.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I thought that the AAC came up with the P6 label because of football, or specifically the conference’s desire to be included in the discussion with the P5 football conferences.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Football is a huge loser. Let the P5 go play football. The ODUs and the Temples of the world need to let it go. Football is killing college athletics.
I somewhat agree, but I don’t see college football directly “killing” college athletics. Football is the driver behind the outrageous TV revenues and the lack of money is squeezing most of the mid-majors.

College football has always been a cesspool of cheating, academic malarkey and other other bullshit but it’s cable tv that lead to the power grab and greed that we are now seeing.

All this being said, I like watching college football. I don’t care that’s the same 6 teams are fighting for 4 playoff spots every year.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I somewhat agree, but I don’t see college football directly “killing” college athletics. Football is the driver behind the outrageous TV revenues and the lack of money is squeezing most of the mid-majors.

College football has always been a cesspool of cheating, academic malarkey and other other bullshit but it’s cable tv that lead to the power grab and greed that we are now seeing.

All this being said, I like watching college football. I don’t care that’s the same 6 teams are fighting for 4 playoff spots every year.
I like watching it, too, but that shouldn’t stop some type of regulation to keep things even remotely on the up-and-up. As is, it’s the cesspool you describe. It doesn’t have to be that bad.

No massive government takeover or anything like that, but we’re seeing what happens when the powerful insiders hold all of the power.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I like watching it, too, but that shouldn’t stop some type of regulation to keep things even remotely on the up-and-up. As is, it’s the cesspool you describe. It doesn’t have to be that bad.

No massive government takeover or anything like that, but we’re seeing what happens when the powerful insiders hold all of the power.
It’s greed and power Bill. No one is going to regulate the cash cow. The problem now is that the power brokers figured out how to game the system and monopolize college basketball.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Power 6 was for the AAC, not the BE.
Always thought the Power 5 would re-align to 4 large conferences, but that never happened.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
College athletics is already officially classified by division and conference, but douchebags like Jay Bilas and Jeff Goodman need to “other” more than 2/3 of Division 1 (normalizing labels like “P5”, “high-major”, “mid-major”, and “low-major”) to serve their own alma maters and the TV rights machine that keeps their subjective bloviating lucrative.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
I admit I have great disdain for football. I used to watch it when I was younger, but all of the well-documented deleterious health outcomes (covered up for a long time, of course) make it so I can't merely not support the sport, but to have to actively rail against it.

Death to football.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Bill, you're a bright man, despite your intermittent attempts to obscure that fact from the unwashed masses. But, despite our shared antipathy to the big football programs, the bolded sentence applies to the majority of D1 schools with respect to basketball, and probably a substantial majority, and I suspect you might not disagree. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Yes, res, but most of D1 compared to the football factories is like apples to chitlins.

In grad school, I taught a number of Bona ballers (this was early Schmidt era), and I can tell you they attended class and did their own work.

Their basketball-driven advantages lay in minor extensions (due to travel) and lots of access to tutoring/study hall. An assistant coach even popped into almost every class to make sure the fellas were in attendance.

That shit does NOT happen with, say, Florida State football players. That’s all I mean. There are active eligibility-maintaining gimmicks at those schools.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Yes, res, but most of D1 compared to the football factories is like apples to chitlins.

In grad school, I taught a number of Bona ballers (this was early Schmidt era), and I can tell you they attended class and did their own work.

Their basketball-driven advantages lay in minor extensions (due to travel) and lots of access to tutoring/study hall. An assistant coach even popped into almost every class to make sure the fellas were in attendance.

That shit does NOT happen with, say, Florida State football players. That’s all I mean. There are active eligibility-maintaining gimmicks at those schools.
Bill, I would counter that the normal student does not have an assistant coach following them to class or monitoring their grades, scheduling tutors or imposing study sessions.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Bill, I would counter that the normal student does not have an assistant coach following them to class or monitoring their grades, scheduling tutors or imposing study sessions.
The normal student isnt getting a free ride either

1 - 20 of 26 Posts