Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
David Stern has said that after the introduction of a new team in North Carolina the league would be restructured into six divisions. If this happens I personally think the whole playoff format should be restructured, perhaps with the best team of each division making the playoffs and another two teams brought in from some sort of wild card system, and while this would make fewer teams in the playoff's, which would be a hard sell to the owners, it would actually make the regular season count for something, other than being shaq's personal workout session. I was just wondering what the opinions were around here on if and how the league should be changed, and if severe measures are needed. I think they are.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
How about this

The top seeds play the lowest in the playoffs and so on, regardless, of Conference. This would make the Games played against each other so much more interesting and exciting. All games would be important.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It wouldn't make for less teams in the playoffs, there would just be less "wildcards". And it would only be one more "guaranteed" spot per conference. Three division winners for each conference, and five "wildcards" instead of two and six.

I agree it would make regular season games more important though.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Why not just the top 2 teams in each division regardless of win%. That would make for some heated conference rivalries, and make every game important because if you only lose say 20 games but your third in your division. then you dont make the playoffs. The off side is if your division is horrible but you get 2nd place with 48 losses or so your in. That makes every game important. Especially to top tier teams and still leaves room for cinderella stories. You play everyone in your divion at least 4 times every one in your conference at least 3 times and the other confernce 2 times. or whatever you have to work it out to.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dragnsmke1</b>!
Why not just the top 2 teams in each division regardless of win%. That would make for some heated conference rivalries, and make every game important because if you only lose say 20 games but your third in your division. then you dont make the playoffs. The off side is if your division is horrible but you get 2nd place with 48 losses or so your in. That makes every game important. Especially to top tier teams and still leaves room for cinderella stories. You play everyone in your divion at least 4 times every one in your conference at least 3 times and the other confernce 2 times. or whatever you have to work it out to.
That's where the wild-card team kicks in. The best of the rest will play the worst of the playoffs teams. But IMO I'd rather have only 2 divisions/conferences so the top 8 teams in each division/conference will advance to the playoffs. Much like what the NBA is right now.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone have any info on what Sterns actual plans are for the league?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
i think stern would like to have a team in hanoi the way he looks at things.they need to get memphis to the east is all i know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts