Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you realize since Darius is a RFA the salary can come off the books theoretically? $4.128 mil

Wes $7.7 mil and Sheed $17 or 18 mil are also expiring contracts...

say we some how get $8 mil under the cap figure.... we can sign a FA...

say Hoops Hype is correct right now at $32.7 mil.... and the cap is for easy numbers $45.7 mil
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/portland.htm

we have $13 mil under the cap right...?

In pecking order.. we draft 2x players in June

July 1 we clear the money off the books, and July 17 or so we can add players...

we sign a player(s) for any amount under the cap for less than $13 mil

then we resign Sheed, Wes, and Darius since we have Bird rights to Sheed and Wes

then we match offers for Darius or sign him ourselves since he is a RFA.. all allowed because they are our players whom we have rights too...

then in late summer we sign our 2x rookies from the draft... but we do it after we sign a FA since we have room. We can sign our draftees later and go over the cap to retain them.

we are now over the cap... but have signed 1-2 FA... just do to the order in which we do it..

not to mention we might loose salary in the expansion draft.

then we have a MLE, and we can sign another player or players...

then next year we are better off yet as Damon comes off the books if he is not already traded for an expiring contract..

we may not be too bad off this sumemr after all... we are allowed to go over the cap to retain our players. We have done that in the past...

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
Do you realize since Darius is a RFA the salary can come off the books theoretically? $4.128 mil

Wes $7.7 mil and Sheed $17 or 18 mil are also expiring contracts...

say we some how get $8 mil under the cap figure.... we can sign a FA...

say Hoops Hype is correct right now at $32.7 mil.... and the cap is for easy numbers $45.7 mil

we have $13 mil under the cap right...?

In pecking order.. we draft 2x players in June

July 1 we clear the money off the books, and July 17 or so we can add players...

we sign a player(s) for any amount under the cap for less than $13 mil

then we resign Sheed, Wes, and Darius since we have Bird rights to Sheed and Wes

then we match offers for Darius or sign him ourselves since he is a RFA.. all allowed because they are our players whom we have rights too...

then in late summer we sign our 2x rookies from the draft... but we do it after we sign a FA since we have room. We can sign our draftees later and go over the cap to retain them.

we are now over the cap... but have signed 1-2 FA... just do to the order in which we do it..

not to mention we might loose salary in the expansion draft.

then we have a MLE, and we can sign another player or players...

then next year we are better off yet as Damon comes off the books if he is not already traded for an expiring contract..

we may not be too bad off this sumemr after all... we are allowed to go over the cap to retain our players. We have done that in the past...
You have to give up Person's and Rasheed's bird rights in order to use the cap space. The 2 draft picks should have cap holds (should count for 2 million and up vs. your cap)... And if you are under the cap you have no MLE. If your numbers are right, you looking at a player for slightly more them the MLE.

-Petey

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Re: Re: Revisiting our team salary

Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!

You have to give up Person's and Rasheed's bird rights in order to use the cap space. The 2 draft picks should have cap holds (should count for 2 million and up vs. your cap)... And if you are under the cap you have no MLE. If your numbers are right, you looking at a player for slightly more them the MLE.

-Petey
What he said. Also, to the best of my knowledge HoopsHype is wrong, and Dale Davis is not a free agent until 2005. Unless you can make another trade, it is likely that the Blazers will have no cap space whatsoever in 2004.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Revisiting our team salary

Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!
What he said. Also, to the best of my knowledge HoopsHype is wrong, and Dale Davis is not a free agent until 2005. Unless you can make another trade, it is likely that the Blazers will have no cap space whatsoever in 2004.
Yeah, Dale Davis doesn't expire until '05. The Mouse's $14 Mill also comes off the books in '05. I guess that is the offseason the Blazers are targeting to make a splash. Although, there could be some problems to that plan. 1) the two draft picks at the end of this season and the one in '05 all take up cap room. 2) I think Zach Randolph is an RFA in '05, so the Blazers will probably have to give him some serious cash to keep him around.

After all that, I'm not sure you will be under the cap by a signifigant amount.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
I believe that Jeff Robertson hinted to the idea that Dale Davis has a team option in his contract for 2004-05. IF that were true, the team could choose not to pick up the option in June, and on July 1st, the team salary would look like this:

Stoudamire, Anderson, Patterson, Stepania (I'm assuming he picks up the player option), Randolph, Woods and Outlaw will be under contract for about $34 million.

Wallace will count $13.5 million against the cap (assuming a $45 million cap) as a FA with Bird rights.

Person will count $11.55 million against the cap as a FA with Bird rights.

Miles will count $12.39 million against the cap as a FA if he is given a qualifying offer, nothing if the team does not offer him the $5.42 million qualifying offer.

And, of course, the two draft picks will count against the cap based on their position. If the season ended today and Portland did not get a top 3 pick with their selection, Portland would have (I believe) the #9 pick and the #19 pick. These two selections would carry a $2.56 million cap figure.

So, the best possible financial scenario (again assuming a cap of $45 million) would mean not picking up the team option on Davis, renouncing Wallace and Person and not offering the qualifying offer to Miles which would leave Portland with the 7 players mentioned above and the 2 rookies and a team salary of $37.52 million ($34 + $2.56 + $0.77 for having less than 11 players on the roster + $0.19 for the small trade exception that they get in the Miles trade).

This would give the Blazers $7.48 million in cap room. They would have no MLE and no Million Dollar Exception.

All this, of course, assumes that Davis HAS a team option for 2004-05. If not, there's no way that Portland can get under the cap this July without making further trades.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!
I believe that Jeff Robertson hinted to the idea that Dale Davis has a team option in his contract for 2004-05. IF that were true, the team could choose not to pick up the option in June, and on July 1st, the team salary would look like this:

Stoudamire, Anderson, Patterson, Stepania (I'm assuming he picks up the player option), Randolph, Woods and Outlaw will be under contract for about $34 million.

Wallace will count $13.5 million against the cap (assuming a $45 million cap) as a FA with Bird rights.

Miles will count $12.39 million against the cap as a FA if he is given a qualifying offer, nothing if the team does not offer him the $5.42 million qualifying offer.

And, of course, the two draft picks will count against the cap based on their position. If the season ended today and Portland did not get a top 3 pick with their selection, Portland would have (I believe) the #9 pick and the #19 pick. These two selections would carry a $2.56 million cap figure.

So, the best possible financial scenario (again assuming a cap of $45 million) would mean not picking up the team option on Davis, renouncing Wallace and Person and not offering the qualifying offer to Miles which would leave Portland with the 7 players mentioned above and the 2 rookies and a team salary of $37.52 million ($34 + $2.56 + $0.77 for having less than 11 players on the roster + $0.19 for the small trade exception that they get in the Miles trade).

This would give the Blazers $7.48 million in cap room. They would have no MLE and no Million Dollar Exception.

All this, of course, assumes that Davis HAS a team option for 2004-05. If not, there's no way that Portland can get under the cap this July without making further trades.
We would have 7 players and only 7 mil in cap space which means we need to sign like 5 players with 7 mil??? i think re-sign sheed if possible at least for S&T , look at re-signing wes to lower contract and keep dale through next year just because he will be good in trade and we still could use his toughness.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Blazerfan024</b>!

We would have 7 players and only 7 mil in cap space which means we need to sign like 5 players with 7 mil???
Actually Portland would have 9 players (7 current players + 2 draft picks). They could sign a FA for $7 million (someone like Okur?) and then get minimum salary players to fill out the roster.

My point is that this would be the best case scenario financially - not enough room to (in my mind) justify giving up Bird rights on Wallace, Person and Miles.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Actually Portland would have 9 players (7 current players + 2 draft picks). They could sign a FA for $7 million (someone like Okur?) and then get minimum salary players to fill out the roster.

My point is that this would be the best case scenario financially - not enough room to (in my mind) justify giving up Bird rights on Wallace, Person and Miles.
I would tend to agree, especially since this year's free agent market, other than Kobe who you aren't getting, is one of the weakest ever. Better to save the room until 2005, because that free agent class is stronger by far.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!
I would tend to agree, especially since this year's free agent market, other than Kobe who you aren't getting, is one of the weakest ever. Better to save the room until 2005, because that free agent class is stronger by far.
Shareef, T-Mac, Ray Allen, A. Walker... it could actually be one of the best FA classes ever.

-Petey

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys :D

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!

Can you show me how you came up with those numbers SCBF? Is it a proportion of something?

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!

Can you show me how you came up with those numbers SCBF? Is it a proportion of something?
Here's the chart on Larry ****'s FAQ

So it's just a matter of plugging in numbers.

Rasheed counts either 150% of this year's salary or the max allowable based on his years of service, whichever is less. In his case, the max is less. The max for him is 30% of the cap because he has 9 years of service. Using my assumed cap of $45 million, he counts $13.5 million.

Person also counts either 150% of this year's salary or the max allowable. In his case, 150% of this year's salary or $11.55 million.

Miles, as a FA coming off his rookie scale, actually counts 300% of this year's salary, which is $13.39 million, as long as Portland offers him the qualifying offer.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
BTW I haven't heard Portland or anyone tied to the organization say that they are planing a splash int the FA in 2005. I'm not dispelling that, but I am saying that we may be jumping to conclusions about that issue.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't see a Davis option here or here.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Lusty RaRue</b>!
I don't see a Davis option here or here.
Real GM is great, but not perfect.

For example, they reported that Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje had signed a 1 year deal in 2003 and could not be traded. Other sources reported that he signed a 2 year deal in 2002 and could be traded.

Guess what? Real GM was wrong.

I'm not saying they're wrong here. I'm just saying that it's been rumored that Dale has a team option written into his contract. The odds are against that being true, but in this world where the NBA doesn't officially release terms of contracts, it is a possibility.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I agree.
Just trying to help.
Sorry to butt in.
Peace.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
I agree.
Just trying to help.
Sorry to butt in.
Peace.
No apology necessary from my end. If I gave you the impression that you were "butting in", then I apologize to you. Nothing could be further from the truth.

After all, we're all "non-insiders" aren't we?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I agree.
Just trying to help.
Sorry to butt in.
Peace.
Never apologize for butting in on this board when you present a solid link or other evidence.

Unless weakens one of my points, then it's OK to apologize. ;)

Ed O.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now consider the source on this

But on Colin Cowherd's morning show he was talking with Jason Quick this morning. It is Jason's opinion that the team will not resign Sheed, Wesley and Darius this summer. They will let them walk for nothing saving the money for a FA push in 2005

Stating he believes Nash plan is for the summer of 2005

Sheed $17 or $18 mil
Darius $4.128 mil
Wes $7.7 mil

$29.82 mil off the books this summer

And replaced by who? Makes ya want to be a Blazer fan right?

personally, I do not see them doing this, and letting them walk for nothing.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
it's in Nash's best interest to give the impression that he is willing to let Rasheed walk.

it makes teams who have tradeable commodities who are over the cap (Dallas) more flexible in working something out. once he's a FA, Dallas can't offer him more than the MLE.

this is also the only position to have in negotiating a contract for Sheed. if Sheed percieves that we are desperate to make a deal, he'll get more money.

Portland needs to talk up there willingness to see him go. however, in reality if he does leave and we don't get anything for it, it'd be a disaster for the franchise.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts