1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
He said nothing about a trade

but did go through several possibilities

NY = No, he does not like Van Horn
ATL = SAR

Dallas is back and forth = Delk, Jamison + either Wahad or Najera depending if we loose or Dalals looses

if he claimed a trade was done last night he back peddled today then. He only talked about possibilities.

He did think Sheed would be gone in 2-3 weeks, and its best for the team if something happened just to stir it up a bit

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Rice did mention Sheed and Zach for McGrady as a thought

but it would take filler from Orlando

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would love that trade. Will never happen.

·
Registered
731 Posts
My impression from listening to Rice was slightly different than that of TBob's.

First off, Rice pretty much rarely says anything clearly. He is always hedging, and usually says different things from one minute to the next. Today was no different, so it is easy to come away with different impressions of what he has said/implied.
Taking things somewhat out of order, I got the impression that:

1. Wallace will be traded within 2-3 weeks.

2. Nash is holding out for the best deal possible.

3. Nash and Cuban are talking daily. They apparently have already agreed on the basic Sheed for Jamison trade and are arguing about who else is included from the Dallas side.

4. Cuban wants to dump Wahed. Nash doesn't want Wahed, but would be willing to take Najera.

5. Rice sounded pretty pessimistic that Allen would hold out for the best deal. The recent poor Blazer play apparently has bothered Allen quite a bit. He sounded like he believes the deal will go forward with the Blazers taking Wahed.

6. Rice said that he considers Jamison compatible with Zbo. He thinks that SAR would be slightly better for the Blazers, but he said Atlanta can hold out forever, since they are already in a terrible state as a team, and he doesn't think the Blazer's can wait that much longer before making a trade.

7. He hinted that a trade was coming very soon -- saying that even if Denver beats Dallas tonight, it might make it better for the Blazers.

8. As for the Blazer's recent play, Rice said that this team is not tough enough mentally to handle the trade talks.

My guess is that Rice is hinting that a trade will take place right after the Dallas game.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Speaking of Orlando (cause I hate the Dallas deals)...

This trade works on RealGM if not in the real world...

Sheed + Person + Qyntel = McGrady + Hill

Holy cap room Batman! Orlando gets something like 25 million off their cap and they can try for Kobe + ? next offseason... maybe resign Rasheed for cheaper.

Qyntel might ease the pain of losing McGrady...

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Blazer Ringbearer</b>!
Speaking of Orlando (cause I hate the Dallas deals)...

This trade works on RealGM if not in the real world...

Holy cap room Batman! Orlando gets something like 25 million off their cap and they can try for Kobe + ? next offseason... maybe resign Rasheed for cheaper.

Qyntel might ease the pain of losing McGrady...
yah...only by giving out enough pot to everyone..

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Blazer Ringbearer</b>!

I like it, obviously... almost certainly more than Orlando does.

But I think that Person is not eligible to be traded as part of a multi-player trade just yet. There's a 2 month period in which a player like Person can't be moved.

He was acquired on December 3, so he couldn't be packaged until February 3.

Maybe that's what Portland's waiting for? Not for McGrady, I mean, but to be able to package Person (with Rasheed or whomever...)?

Ed O.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Your recap was much better BWatcher... thanks for detailing it out more. I was in a rush this morning. I agree with all you said

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
He was acquired on December 3, so he couldn't be packaged until February 3.
That's my birthday. What an awesome b-day present it would be to get McGrady here and keep Randolph! Might even ease the pain of the In Living Color DVDs getting pushed pack from that date to sometime in April...

Dan

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
I doubt it I think Perosn fits too well into their salary cutting goals.
Well, WHY is salary cutting a goal? Two reasons I can think of:

-- Paul Allen's sick of losing money, and/or

-- the Blazers want cap space so they can lure a top-drawer FA.

The first point is a definite reason NOT to trade Person. The second point is moot if Person's cap savings are used to acquire a superstar (who would be a top FA in a couple of years).

I guess I see Person's expiring contract as an asset that Portland acquired, rather than merely the absence of cost. I'm hoping that the Blazers see him that way, too.

Ed O.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!

That's my birthday. What an awesome b-day present it would be to get McGrady here and keep Randolph! Might even ease the pain of the In Living Color DVDs getting pushed pack from that date to sometime in April...

Dan
Last time a trade happend on my birthday we were saddled with Minnie Mouse...:cry:

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
I doubt it I think Perosn fits too well into their salary cutting goals.
Totally disagree. I said at the time of the Wells trade that Person represented a perfect piece for making a second trade right before the deadline, and nothing has happened to make me change my mind. I could absolutely see Nash using his expiring deal as extra incentive in any trade offer that he made.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
or you can keep him, sign him to a lower slary next year, and still meet your goal of cost cutting.

I think of him as a Steve Kerry type of player... classy, cagey vet who can shoot the lights out..

If we can resign him for say $3 mil next year why not? still saves about $4.7 mill... HE CAN SHOOT... something we have very little of on our team, shooters who make it!

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
ANother thing to consider is he is still a quality SG in the backup role. We don't have the luxury of Wells and Nderson anymore, and Neither Damon nor Jeff really should be though of as long term solutions at the 2. Qyntel can play the 2 but he really seems best suited for the 3.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
OK.... Dallas beat Denver tonight. So according to the daily phone calls between Dallas and us reported by Rice... Dallas is winning, PDX loosing... advantage Dallas...

I guess the offer is still Jamison, Delk and Wahad for Sheed... instead of Najera for Wahad

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
This was on the ESPN boards today....Did anyone else hear this?

"KFXX said they talked to Jason Quick and he said that the Blazers have rejected Dallas offer on Friday. Nash told Quick that they rejected "a trade from a team" and have received several calls from more teams on Friday"
Just passing it along...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts