Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One interesting thing was discussed, not specifically RE: Portland, but it fits our situation too.

ray (wash, DC): transplanted socal-er here. corey maggs was on the block earlier this season. are the clips planning to keep him or move him in the offseason?

Dustin: Logan, UT: Please take a Jazz question!! Everyone knows that they need a SG, but who is to be had that can make a difference, either by trade or FA...and do they have to give up Boozer or Okur to get it done?

Ric Bucher: (2:11 PM ET ) See what happens when we work together. Jazz need a SG, Maggette -- or corey maggs to those who go clubbin' with him, evidently -- is on the block. Utah aren't going to be that torn up about moving Boozer to refit their team. Stephen Jackson for the Pacers is sure to be available and I'm guessing Mickael Pietrus might be had for the right price as well. Then there's the glut in Atlanta, which could use a big of Boozer's ilk. Trust me, Utah can get that need filled this summer.
Essentially, the same can be said for Portland. We need a SG (I think Webster is a SF) so those guys would be available to us as well.

Corey Maggette
Stephen Jackson (more of a SF in my book)
Michael Pietrus
Josh Smith (or Joe Johnson, depending on who they want to keep)

Anybody want any of those guys on our team?

Not sure what it'd take to get any deal for any of those 4/5 players done, but...

· Registered
3,031 Posts
Pietrus sounds very good to me - he's an excellent defender, something we sorely need, especially since Patterson left.

· Registered
3,812 Posts
Absolutely nay to Josh Smith. Sure he plays some defense but is extremely raw in terms of basketball skills. And he's still developing. I say go after a sure proven player. I'd go with Maggette first, followed by Pietrus. Also nay to Jackson. He's nothing more than a chucker who plays NO defense. Maggette gets to the line. He's shown he's capable of playing/sharing the ball with Brand and Cassell, to some extent due to injury, so he could be 1st or 2nd option to Randolph.

· Steal of the Draft
8,008 Posts
Nobody really interests me. We need to sign veterans in FA these upcoming years, Dixon type veterans. Not necessarily Dixon type players, but people who don't mind coming off the bench. And we need to build our core through the draft. For instance, get rid of Miles, and draft a Durant or one of those SF's next year. They will be farther along and can make more of an impact with a year of college. Not to mention Durant is a great fit for us. Excellent shooter, creates mismatches(6'10''), good ballhandler, decent D. I really like an Aldridge/ZBo/Durant/Martell/Telfair core. Don't trade for anyone unless were getting a younger player with potential back with a Darius/filler deal. Not saying it's fair, but look for that first, then go with what you can. Don't trade more important pieces for players like Maggette who is 28 and injury prone. Not to mention a ballhog.

· Registered
2,938 Posts
Coach Nate said in a recent Courtside - that Webster is a SG and our future starter. He's not being considered as a SF, except by you.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
Coach Nate said in a recent Courtside - that Webster is a SG and our future starter. He's not being considered as a SF, except by you.
There is no way to predict this. He's only, what 19 years old? Who knows what his body will do in the next 3-5 years? Maybe he beefs up, maybe not? You can say you'd like him to be our SG of the future, but you can't say he isn't even being considered as a SF. Too many other variables to mention.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
kaydow said:
There is no way to predict this. He's only, what 19 years old? Who knows what his body will do in the next 3-5 years? Maybe he beefs up, maybe not? You can say you'd like him to be our SG of the future, but you can't say he isn't even being considered as a SF. Too many other variables to mention.
good point. Telfair might grow another 5 inches, and become our SG of the future!

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Kmurph said:
Hey I am all for getting Pietrus....But nobody here thinks he is worth a #1 or top 3 pick now do you?
Absolutely not. But I think we should be able to get him without giving up the pick. Golden State has to be looking for an upgrade at the 3 (where Dunleavy has been a big disappointment) as well as at the five. They also need to get out of some of their misguided long-term contracts, none of which are ginormous individually, but are quite big collectively -- to mediocre players like Dunleavy, Derek Fisher, and Adonal Foyle.

It seems to me they might bite at a package built around either Miles or Ratliff, plus one of our cheaper players with potential (Blake or Outlaw or Ha; not Telfair or Webster or Jack), in exchange for Pietrus and one of their albatrosses.

Fisher and Pietrus for Miles and Blake works under the cap. I'm sure other permutations could be made to work as well.

Stepping Razor

· Registered
4,411 Posts
Fisher and Pietrus for Miles and Blake would be a dream trade. Pietrus is an ideal SF, defensive, athletic and can shoot. Fisher is overpaid, but he is somewhat of a leader and can play both guard spots, especially with Jack on the floor at the same time guarding the SG while Fisher chucks up shots playing SG on offense.

· Registered
7,207 Posts
Fork said:
One interesting thing was discussed, not specifically RE: Portland, but it fits our situation too.

Essentially, the same can be said for Portland. We need a SG (I think Webster is a SF) so those guys would be available to us as well.

Corey Maggette
Stephen Jackson (more of a SF in my book)
Michael Pietrus
Josh Smith (or Joe Johnson, depending on who they want to keep)

Anybody want any of those guys on our team?

Not sure what it'd take to get any deal for any of those 4/5 players done, but...
I don't neccesarily agree. I think Webster does fine at SG, and he does fine at SF too, but while he is out there, he can only one position. So in other words, yes we do need another quality SF or SG type, but not necessarily just a SG. Versatility is a good thing.

· Registered
16,001 Posts
Schilly said:
Josh Smith <= Travis Outlaw
No way. Josh Smith is over a year younger than Outlaw and has played more minutes in each of his two seasons than Outlaw has in his career... in spite of the fact that Atlanta has had swing men in abundance both years.

Travis Outlaw has showed glimpses of what Josh Smith already is. Smith rebounds, blocks shots, and gets to the free throw line. He's not an all-star yet, but he's already a guy who'd make a decent starter on a decent team.

Ed O.

· Registered
7,207 Posts
So people, if we trade Ratliff, and Joel bails town, who is going to block shots and lock down the middle for the Blazers next year? Ha? :biggrin:

IMO it seems a little bit foolish to be having Ratliff in trade talks until we know if Joel is leaving town.

· Registered
11,166 Posts
hasoos said:
So people, if we trade Ratliff, and Joel bails town, who is going to block shots and lock down the middle for the Blazers next year? Ha? :biggrin:

IMO it seems a little bit foolish to be having Ratliff in trade talks until we know if Joel is leaving town.

So in your opinion it's better to have a one dimentional center that is eating up 13 million dollars a year and plays half a season than a player making 1/2 that much that might be able to press a little, defend a little, score a little, and play the whole year.

· Registered
4,411 Posts
Josh Smith <= Travis Outlaw
Thats a joke. Josh Smith has been a monster since the all-star break, and even before that he was much better. He is more assertive than Outlaw, built better and really is just a better player in every aspect of the game. Has Outlaw had a single game like this, 20 points, 14 rebounds, 8 assists and 5 blocks. No. Smith is going to be a very good player.

· mere fan
6,556 Posts
Ed O said:
No way. Josh Smith is over a year younger than Outlaw and has played more minutes in each of his two seasons than Outlaw has in his career... in spite of the fact that Atlanta has had swing men in abundance both years.
Josh earned a starting role during this season and has been very impressive for a 2nd year strait from HS kid. I really doubt Atlanta is looking to move him, but here are his stats for the last month...

15.2 pts on 42% shooting, 1.2 threes made on 30%, 7.4 Rbs, 4.1 Assts, 1 Stl, 2.7 blks

Pietrus is another player I'd love to acquire for the reasons others have sited, but I disagree with the reasoning of which players might be swapped. While Mike Dunleavy has been a terrible starting SF for them, I see no way in Hades that Golden State trades for Darius Miles. Dude is injured, surly, and the proud owner of a contract as massive as MD Jr's. Travis and/or Victor could hold legitamate interest though... depending on the bouncing of the ping pong balls I wouldn't rule out the lotto pick or a potencial swap of lotto picks as possibilities either.

It would have to be a pretty enticing offer from the Warrior's perspective as Mickale is still on his cheap rookie contract for 2 more seasons.

Come to think of it... maybe Atlanta and the Warriors should swap those two. That might make the most sense.

STOMP

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.