Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Rich Cho named as GM by Trail Blazers

591 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  mgb 
#1 ·
The Pacific-Northwest native has plenty of NBA experience. But his professional career started with a completely different flight path.
The Trail Blazers named Rich Cho as their general manager on Monday. The current league executive and former Blazers intern spent the last nine years as an assistant GM with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

NBA general managers often have basketball in their blood from prior careers as players (think of the Pistons' Joe Dumars, Pacers' Larry Bird or Bulls' John Paxson). But as the Oregonian's Mike Tokito explains, Cho's first pro post was quite different as an engineer at Boeing.

In an ironic twist, Cho spent a great deal of time on airplanes to separate himself as the Blazers' prime candidate for their opening. After successful meetings with President Larry Miller and Head Coach Nate McMillan in Las Vegas, Tokito reported that Cho flew all the way to Helsinki, Finland for the final run-through with club owner Paul Allen.
While I didn't want to see KP go I like this hire. Of the three that was interviewed Cho is the one I was hoping to get the job. I got to meet him Monday at a STH BBQ and he seem really nice.

Link

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.