Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For PG Tahj Shamsid-Deen. His final 4 were Richmond, Butler, Auburn and UConn. UConn got a commit from a NYC PG this weekend, so looks to be out. Tahj has made all his visits, with his visit to Richmond this past weekend (Labor Day weekend) being his final one.

UR fans are really high on him, and with the success and immediate impact that Kendall Anthony had as an undersized guard in the UR system, I think Mooney must have stressed that point, as well as point out Kevin Anderson's success in it as well.

Auburn is still in the mix as well. Tahj is from Georgia, where UR has had success recruiting under Mooney - Anderson, Gonzalvez, Nelson-Ododa.

Butler fans - any thoughts on Tahj?

·
Banned
335 Posts
Nothing definitive.

Heard Auburn and Butler back in June. Then UConn, Stanford and a whole bunch of others offered and didn't hear anything. There was a kid from his high school saying he is going to commit to Butler on Twitter, Sunday night, but I dont know how much value you can give that. He's a different sort of kid. 4.0 student and has started on three championship teams in three years in HS so far

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/tag/_/name/tahj-shamsid-deen

·
Banned
5,541 Posts

4-Star PG Kyle Davis (Rivals Profile)

Apparently, Brad Stevens intended to offer a scholarship to Kyle Davis when he made his visit to Butler, but that visit never happened:

Great commitment for Archie Miller & Co. !

It is no secret that Kyle Davis was Archie Miller’s top priority in the HS Class of 2013.

Kyle took only one Official Visit (Dayton) before making his decision. Kyle really wants to be a Flyer !

Chicago Guard Commits to Flyers (Doug Harris, DDN - August 26, 2012)

The 6-foot left-hander had scholarship offers from Marquette, Northwestern, Virginia Tech, Tennessee, Xavier and Nebraska, according to Rivals.com. He averaged 25 points and seven assists as a junior last season at Hyde Park Academy, where he played varsity for three seasons before transferring this year.

Davis visited UD last weekend and said he turned down an invitation to make a trip to Butler this week.

"After the visit, I came back and sat down and talked to my mother and father about everything, talked to my brother and also talked to my coach, Nick Irvin, to make sure I was making the right decision. And they told me if I feel it’s going to be right for me, go ahead and do it," said Davis, who played for the Mac Irvin Fire on the AAU circuit.​

Devin Oliver, who did have a scholarship offer from Brad Stevens, also committed to Dayton without visiting Butler.

2-Star SF Devin Oliver (Rivals Profile)

·
Banned
335 Posts
Apparently, Brad Stevens intended to offer a scholarship to Kyle Davis when he made his visit to Butler, but that visit never happened:
No, the only way Kyle Davis would have ever received a scholarship from Butler is if Tahj Shamsid Deen went elsewhere. I doubt he would have even then. (they told dayshon smith theyd target him if tsd goes elsewhere as well -- theyll get smith if tsd falls through)

And I have no idea who Devin Oliver is but I can see he was in the 2010 class. Erik Fromm committed 5.19.2009, chrishawn hopkins (rivals 124) committed on 8.9.09, then all offers were pulled waiting for khyle marshall (rivals 118) committed 9.30.09. so even in the exceedingly unlikely event that whoever oliver is had an offer, it was pulled.

Is that standard for how Stevens recruits? Interesting, if so. Can see the pros and cons for it though.
Yes, generally one to one. Possibly contributing to Butler not having a transfer since 06 and at least one Academic All-American every year since 07 (and two AAs of the Year)

Surprisingly they've offered 3 2014s, which is crazy early for them

·
Registered
946 Posts
Why these Dayton losers interject themselves into discussions about successful basketball programs is one of lifes great mysteries.

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
I have no idea who Devin Oliver is.
Devin Oliver is a junior combo-forward who improved very significantly during his sophomore year at UD after replacing the injured Josh Benson.

Archie Miller inserted Oliver as the starting PF in the Flyers' last seven games of the 2011-12 season, and Oliver responded by scoring 67 ponts in those seven games (9.6 PPG).

Oliver also grabbed 52 rebounds in those seven games (7.4 RPG) as the Flyers' starting PF.

Dayton Knocks Out George Washington 67-50 (The Associated Press - March 6, 2012)

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) -- Devin Oliver scored a season-high 19 points and Dayton defeated George Washington for the second time in four days, taking a 67-50 win Tuesday night in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament.​

Dayton 67, George Washington 50 (Yahoo! Box Score - March 6, 2012)

Devin Oliver led all players in the game with 19 points, shooting 8-13 from the field, 1-1 from beyond the arc, and 2-3 from the FT line, to go along with a team-leading 8 rebounds.​

You'll be hearing more about Devin Oliver this season.

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
The only way Kyle Davis would have ever received a scholarship from Butler is if Tahj Shamsid Deen went elsewhere.
Not according to the ButlerHoops Message Board:

Kyle Davis - 2013 Point Guard - Page 1 (ButlerHoops Message Board)

Post # 3 - August 8th: "Rivals link above says Butler, Dayton, Louisville, Marquette, and Virginia Tech are recruiting him the hardest. "

Kyle Davis - 2013 Point Guard - Page 2 (ButlerHoops Message Board)

Post # 19 - August 20th: "Interesting that they think Davis comes down to Dayton or Butler ..."

Kyle Davis - 2013 Point Guard - Page 3 (ButlerHoops Message Board)

Post # 26 - August 23rd: "@prepbullseye - Butler is still very much involved w/ a couple of Chicago area guards in 2013: 6'0 CG Kyle Davis & 6'2 PG Jaylon Tate."

Chicago Guard Commits to Flyers (Doug Harris, DDN - August 26, 2012)

Davis visited UD last weekend and said he turned down an invitation to make a trip to Butler this week.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Why these Dayton losers interject themselves into discussions about successful basketball programs is one of lifes great mysteries.
Answer.

If you easily wanted to measure the depth of a fan's insecurity about their own team (and obsession with an opponent) you need look no further than their signature line.

Does it celebrate their own team, players, accomplishments, etc.?

Or does it attempt to disparage an opponenent?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, thank you. Back on track. I hope the Spiders win this one, kid seems to be a great fit for UR and I hope that the proximity to home (at least compared to Indy) helps UR's case.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Decatur, GA to Indy - 434 miles
Decatur, GA to Richmond - 462 miles

SDW, looks like proximity won't help our cause much in this one. I was thinking the same thing as you, as my poor geographical skills always picture Indy further West.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I'm rooting for UR to get this one, mostly because I want them to get back to the level they were at before last season. I think the VCU-UR rivalry can be pretty exciting and having Richmond be good only helps stoke that rivalry further.

I doubt it gets anywhere close to the Dayton-Xavier one though from what I've seen. Or maybe that's just Muddy Waters tainting my view of how intense it is.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts