Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's 35 years old now, never was the most athletically gifted player, he's coming off major ankle surgery and hasn't played ball since April. How much can he really contribute upon returning? We all know he was primarily a spot up shooter and a defender before, but one would have to imagine that he's lost a lot of his lateral quickness just like Derek Fisher did when he had his foot surgeries; and keep in mind Fish was 10 years younger than Fox was at the time of the operations.

Personally, I don't expect much of anything out of him anymore. I know he'll still be able to make open shots but that's probably about it at this point. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Got activated tonight.. Let's see how much he plays.. How he is..

I wont judge him just from tonight.. Who knows if he's even gonna play even a quarter ovarall!

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Remember in 00-01 season when Harper opened as the starter, got injured about 40 games in and then returned for the playoffs? At that point he only played like once every 4 games and for like 5 minutes. It was mainly for inspiration and steady descion making.

Fox is as done as that. He looked totally apathetic last year. I expect nothing more than good low post defense, outside shooting and post entry passes from him.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Fox is as done as that. He looked totally apathetic last year. I expect nothing more than good low post defense, outside shooting and post entry passes from him.
Since when was he anything more than that??? :confused:

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SacKings384</b>!

Since when was he anything more than that??? :confused:
Good lord you troll a lot.

Fox was a good defender and actually quite athletic when he was younger than 33.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Well Fox didnt play tonight.. I think it was a smart move despite him being activated.. Give him a few more days to get better since the Lakers dont play till Wednesday :)

·
20,601 Posts
Fox was a good defender and actually quite athletic when he was younger than 33.
Well for people that cant READ, part of the quote was DEFENSE!!!! And he was never more than a person that got the wide open three defended and gave it into Shaq...

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
We might find out on Wednesday

Like a Fox: Nine months ago today, Rick Fox came up limping after making a hard cut in Game 4 of the Lakers' playoff series against Minnesota. That was followed by surgery to repair a torn tendon in Fox's left foot and days of exhausting rehabilitation.

But Fox expects to play his first this season Wednesday. He was activated off the injured list but did not get into the Lakers' victory Saturday over the Utah Jazz.

"Saturday night was a dress rehearsal," Fox said. "The costume fit, everything went well. Wednesday night for me at home will be opening night in my mind. I'm taking it a step at a time, as cautiously and as wisely as possible."

Fox will play an undetermined number of minutes and come off the bench against Seattle.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~29583~1916991,00.html

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

Well for people that cant READ, part of the quote was DEFENSE!!!! And he was never more than a person that got the wide open three defended and gave it into Shaq...
Wrong.:no:

Apparently you've only been watching basketball for a couple years and even then you haven't been watching carefully. He does shoot a lot of 3's but he was a good shooter for more than just 3's. Plus, he was a good slasher and got open a lot by moving well without the ball for easy buckets in the paint. He was also a good passer and assist man for a sf (averaged 3.2-3.5 apg over the last 3 years) and not just throwing it into Shaq...you dont get a lot of assists that way since Shaq dribbles or pauses on most of his moves-negating an assist. Sackings, next time dont pretend you know what you're talking about. Just say "Rick Fox sucks" and leave, since that is all you really have to say.

·
20,601 Posts
Ive watched Rick Fox since the 99' and ill tell you this, he was never more than a Devean George with defense...

·
_(&#12484;)_&#3626;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3
28,008 Posts
Ive watched Rick Fox since the 99' and ill tell you this, he was never more than a Devean George with defense...
What a *edited* comment. All Devean George is even known for is for being a hard-nosed defender. You probably weren't much more than 11 years old in 1999, so don't come off like you've been analyzing and studying his game during that span of time -- it's more likely that you caught a game here and there on the TV while you were in your PJs, after begging your mom to stay up later than 9pm.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You say that like it is a bad thing. As a Kings fan, I can understand your ignorance of how important defense is. For example, remeber how upset you probably were when Fox shut down Peja in the playoffs. Fox was better than DG could ever hope to be, he has a brain and is a great leader.

·
20,601 Posts
You say that like it is a bad thing. As a Kings fan, I can understand your ignorance of how important defense is. For example, remeber how upset you probably were when Fox shut down Peja in the playoffs. Fox was better than DG could ever hope to be, he has a brain and is a great leader.
Why the hell do people say he shut him down?! What series was this, i would really like to know! Please tell me...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh, now are you changing your story?? You said

he was never more than a person that got the wide open three defended and gave it into Shaq...
They both are also good for a mid-range game and slashing to the basket. Thanks for admitting you were wrong.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

Why the hell do people say he shut him down?! What series was this, i would really like to know! Please tell me...
You are simply being silly. During the season games he did pretty well at shutting him down. He also shut down Peja pretty well in the playoffs even though Peja was somewhat injured.

·
20,601 Posts
They both are also good for a mid-range game and slashing to the basket. Thanks for admitting you were wrong.
Since when was Deveon George anyone more than someone that sat outside and waited for the shot? Just because you cut once in a while doesnt make you a cutter... as we have seen, Devean George cant create his own shot, he feeds off the big four, and sits on the perimeter, (remind you of someone?)::coughs:: Rick Fox ::coughs::

You are simply being silly. During the season games he did pretty well at shutting him down. He also shut down Peja pretty well in the playoffs even though Peja was somewhat injured.
You show me when he shut him down, when he shut him down, because i certainly only remember one playoff series where Peja was good and faced Rick Fox, and that was 2000-2001, but didnt Peja miss the first 5 games due to an ankle injury? Yes, i beleive he was, and wasnt Peja still not even close to 100% considering that he had no laterall movement because of that injury? Since when has Fox EVER shut down Peja...

·
Registered
390 Posts

Laker fans are referring to the WCF 2002 Game 7 when Fox shut down a limping Peja to the point where he only made half of his shots.

And for games like last season when Fox shut down Peja to an Average of 26.3 ppt on 47.7% FG and 36% from 3pt land. Fox's hard work contrasted sharply with Doug Christie's, who allowed Kobe to shoot a whooping 39.7% from the field and an amazing 26% from beyond the arc.

I sincerely hope George and Walton will have the same success against Peja as Fox.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

Since when was Deveon George anyone more than someone that sat outside and waited for the shot? Just because you cut once in a while doesnt make you a cutter... as we have seen, Devean George cant create his own shot, he feeds off the big four, and sits on the perimeter, (remind you of someone?)::coughs:: Rick Fox ::coughs::
Settle down a little, geez...this is not life threatening. We are agreeing here. I never said either of them were all stars...you're acting like I did. The point is that you said Fox = with defense and that they were both only good for 3's and handing it to Shaq. Now you're story has changed since you realize your statement was ignorant and you are agreeing with me that they are good for a slash and a mid range jumper here and there. You are over-reacting because you have been caught being, once again, overly satirical and negative about Laker players.

You show me when he shut him down, when he shut him down, because i certainly only remember one playoff series where Peja was good and faced Rick Fox, and that was 2000-2001, but didnt Peja miss the first 5 games due to an ankle injury? Yes, i beleive he was, and wasnt Peja still not even close to 100% considering that he had no laterall movement because of that injury? Since when has Fox EVER shut down Peja...
Yeah, you know cuz I got tapes of every game lining my closet. :rolleyes: Ask any commentator and they'll say Fox did a good job on Peja that year. It doesn't matter much anyway because things have changed, Peja is even better in the kING'S oFFENSE, Fox is older and has a reconstructed foot. So you dont need to be in denial of the past, because I doubt Fox will be as effective again.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.