Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Majerus is living on borrowed time, let alone coaching. This was all just a matter of time. SLU got more than they could have expected out of him.

Hope he's ok.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Wow. Hopefully they can find some stability with the season starting soon...since the freshmen have enrolled (I'm assuming they've come to campus) are they safe?

Edit: Wait, the posted article makes it sound like he's just on sabbatical. Never mind.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Can't say I am totally surprised. He has never seemed totally committed to coaching since he left Utah. He flirted with other jobs over the years before going to SLU and then never appeared completely all in. He complained about ravel and at times gave the impression that he didn't want to be coaching. Add in his heath and it was not a good mix.

Tough blow for SLU after he got them going again. Puts them behind the 8 ball this close to the season in the short term and coaching hires long term are always a crap shoot. A loss for the A-10 as well as Rick was well known.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
That sucks. Hope he's ok.

Good thing they have a solid, experienced coach in Jim Crews ready to step in. SLU will be be fine - I just hope Majerus will be too.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Wow is right. What an off season so far with injuries to Umass, the X thing and now this....goodness.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Wow is right. What an off season so far with injuries to Umass, the X thing and now this....goodness.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App
So much for this being a much stronger conference huh? Something just doesn't want us to do well here...

·
Registered
299 Posts
This really isn't much of a surprise. SLU should have had some sort of plan in place for when/if this situation did arise.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I'll take contingency planning for 100. What do you think Jim Crews is. Hired in 2011.
If Crews is your contingency plan, you need a new contingency planner. He's been fired by Evansville and Army. He's not who you want leading a team with aspirations of winning the A10 and going to the second weekend in March. Their plan should have been to give Chris Harriman enough money and benefits to stick around as associate head coach, knowing Majerus is always in poor health and not getting younger.

I think this costs SLU a few games right off the top. Majerus sees things other people cannot. Their game plans and adjustments will suffer. He's not in the MCC or Patriot league anymore.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Majerus is one the most talented coaches in the nation. SLU is really going to miss their master tactician this year. I hope we see him again, but I fear the worst with his deteriorating health. Tough loss for SLU and the A-10.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hope his health allows him to come back. He was colorful and the media, at least in NY, seemed to love him. I heard him interviewed multiple times by Mike Francesca of WFAN (Sports Talk), and Mike and the coach got along very well (the last interview that I heard was just before the NCAA tournament). He represented the A10 well. The addition of Stevens and Smart will also represent the A10 well in NY, both have been interviewed multiple times on WFAN. Nobody is quite like Rick, no one.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
If Crews is your contingency plan, you need a new contingency planner. He's been fired by Evansville and Army. He's not who you want leading a team with aspirations of winning the A10 and going to the second weekend in March. Their plan should have been to give Chris Harriman enough money and benefits to stick around as associate head coach, knowing Majerus is always in poor health and not getting younger.

I think this costs SLU a few games right off the top. Majerus sees things other people cannot. Their game plans and adjustments will suffer. He's not in the MCC or Patriot league anymore.
That may be so, but I'd pay double for the SLU-Xavier game this year just to see the coaches' "hand-shake" ceremonies!!! In all likelihood, Mack left Evansville partly because of Crew's demand that he repeatedly slam the ball against the person of a UD player on out-of-bounds plays.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts