Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what has he done to deserve the respect and hype he has been getting. he has done nothing to deserve this. I think Lucas just made an outrageous comment to try to sweeten his trade value. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Did you happen to watch him near the end of the year?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
He played well the last 20 games of the season. You are right. He doesn't deserve the hype. If I were a GM I would want to see at least one full consistant season

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes i did and i still stick by my original comment. One thing people should know is that i may not be right all the time, but i watch alot of basketball games and teams(thanks league pass) so i think i have fairly knowledgable opinions on a lot of team.

·
Registered
920 Posts
He didn't get a chance to show anything until the end of the year because he was playing behind Wesley Person. I think Wes got hurt toward the end of the year so Ricky was able to showcase his talent. He is a slash kind of guy and is super athletic. He doesn't really have a jump shot but he makes up for it by driving to the basket. He scored thirty-five on Kobe.

·
Registered
924 Posts
That's the problem with alot of today's American players. They don't have a jump-shot. Players today are more concerned with driving to the hoop, showcasing thier handles, and finishing with a dunk.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Originally posted by Malakian
I know you are going to jump on me for this but Iverson only shot 39%. :sour:
I must get the feeling that you don't like Iverson, Malakian. I don't know why, just a hunch maybe. :D

But I'm assuming that what IMX was talking about included Iverson as well, since he is an American player. Thing is, it's a different world from the old days when the guys worked on their J's in practice, yes practice. Everyone knows now that in the 80's, the game was beautiful, flowed likes words from your favorite tune, so fun to watch it was hard to describe..

Now you have a bunch of guys, who don't want to work at it. Not just while in the pros, but their whole lives, depending on their God given talents instead of trying to contribute to make the game beautiful. That's why more and more Europeans are coming over to the NBA, to try and restore that feel..

But back onto the subject of Ricky Davis, he was amazing in the games he played. You guys forget, Lucas isn't smart, he allows Davis to show how good he is, and now he's asking for more money.. money that the Cavs aren't really willing to pay. So I'm doubting that he was trying to drive up his price.

But now here's the question for the Cavs, do they:

A.)Try to get what they can for Davis, and sure up weak spots on their roster (PG). Allowing Dajuan Wagner to start at the two.

Or..

B.)Resign Davis, and allow him to play starting two. With Dajuan playing point guard, a position where he doesn't have much confidence at.

Or..

C.)Resign Davis, allow him to start at the two, while having DWags come off the bench?

Since they're not going to be a playoff contender this year, I suggest they move him, and try landing a bigger guard (like McInnis) to a contract, so the bigger PG can take on the two guards on defensive assignments.

-Tim

·
Registered
920 Posts
I do like Iverson. I was just commenting because he said thats the problem with Americans they can't shoot and he was talking about Ricky Davis so I brought someone else up that doesn't shoot that well but is generally reguarded as a great player.:sigh:

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
He's considered a great player because he's the main catalyst on a team that he's brought to the playoffs four straight years. A guy who won the MVP award, and a few consecutive scoring titles. That's why Iverson is regarded as a great player.

That's not saying he didn't shoot awfully last year. So he still fits under the banner of American players who aren't working on their shot and relying on their athleticism.

-Tim

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ricky Davis is a prime example of a true NBA player in the present. He is an athlete blessed with size and superior athleticism that allows him to do many things on the court. As much as I wish players would develop their fundamentals instead of relying on their athleticism, thats not the case today. Ricky Davis proved towards the end of the season that he can be a critical part of this team's future. His style of game might not be that of a true basketball player, but he proved he was able to compete in the NBA.

·
Registered
924 Posts
John Lucas...

It's not the fact that Lucas let Davis show his skills that's making Ricky want alot of money, of coarse he would've asked for more but not like he is asking for now. It's when Lucas compared Ricky Davis to Michael Jordan...Just plain idiotic.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Davis is definitely asking for more money than he's proven that he deserves right now. But so far he hasn't gotten any offers from any other teams. I don't believe that the Cavs will let him go anyway, more than likely they will match any other than the most ridiculus offers.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The OUTLAW</b>!
Davis is definitely asking for more money than he's proven that he deserves right now. But so far he hasn't gotten any offers from any other teams. I don't believe that the Cavs will let him go anyway, more than likely they will match any other than the most ridiculus offers.
Thats true but if they give him a chance to play he will doin pretty good..

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
This thread messed me up for a second. I was wondering what these people were talking about. Then I saw the date on it. Makes more sense now.

Ricky Davis is going to be a leader for the Cavs this year. How crazy is that?

Can't wait to see what Silas does with all of that talent up there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts