Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ESPN has reported that Ricky Davis has signed with the Timberwolves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAVE have 15 days to decide, but things could be looking UP if the Wolves get a real athletic 2 guard for once, something they have never truely had before.

You may post links to appropriate articles in your posts, but you cannot post the articles in their entirety. You can quote from the articles, but do so sparingly. Remember, you agree in the Terms of Use to be held legally responsible for your own posts on BasketballBoards.net. Always credit the source when quoting from an article. truebluefan

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>OZZY</b>!
ESPN has reported that Ricky Davis has signed with the Timberwolves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAVE have 15 days to decide, but things could be looking UP if the Wolves get a real athletic 2 guard for once, something they have never truely had before.

Saturday, August 17

Cavaliers have 15 days to decide on Davis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- Guard Ricky Davis signed an offer sheet with the Minnesota Timberwolves, and the Cleveland Cavaliers have 15 days to match the deal. Cavaliers general manager Jim Paxson would not confirm details of the offer Saturday, adding that he will take all of the allotted time to decide whether to keep the 6-foot-7 Davis. "I had known that they had interest in Ricky and it was something we were prepared for,'' Paxson said. Paperwork was faxed to the league office Friday night, the Timberwolves said. The NBA's full midlevel salary cap exception is $34.7 million over six years. The 22-year-old Davis was drafted 21st overall in 1998 by the Charlotte Hornets after his freshman year at Iowa. He was traded to Miami after two years with the Hornets but broke his right foot and played just seven games in 2000-01. He came to Cleveland last October in a three-way deal.
He came on late in the season, averaging 21.6 points in his last 13 games. For the season, he averaged 11.7 points, three rebounds and 2.2 assists. "He made good strides in the last couple of months of the season and we would expect that to continue,'' Paxson said. "We value Ricky and the offer sheet shows other people in the league value Ricky as well.''
The general manager said he met with Davis and his agent three weeks ago in California but couldn't reach a deal.
Hopefully the Cavs dont match this offer but this would be great for the Timberwolves

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I think Cavs will match. This is the same deal Cavs were offering for the first 3 years. Only difference Cavs only wanted a 3 year deal. But I still believe they will match.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't think the Cavs will match it. They said they didn't want a long term deal.

Cavs were rumored to have offered a 3 year 15 million dolor contract.

Wolves offered a 6 year 34.7 milllion dolar contract so thats 3 more years and 4.7 million more dolars then the wanted to spend.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Both the Cavs and Minnesota offered Davis the midlevel exemption contract. Over the first 3 years I understand that to be about 15million dollars the final 3 years amounts then to 19.7 million dollars.

I still think the Cavs will match. Can't see them letting him go for nothing. But I guess we will see. By the way the Cavs have never let anyone go without matching. Of course past performance is no guarantee of future results.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I say get a sign trade deal with Wally and Davis.

*Wolves get Davis and Mihm/ or Boozer

*Caves get Wally and maybe Marc Jackson.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
As a Cavs fan in that type of situation I think I'd rather keep Davis. While Wally is a better player right now, he is unsigned and is already asking for alot more money than Davis will be getting paid (I don't believe he's worth it by the way). Davis has tremendous upside and I don't want to give up on Mihm just yet. He hasn't done much yet but I think that Miller being gone will actually be a help to him.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
From what I've seen of Davis, Minnesota would indeed be getting a competitve and aggressive 2 guard, something they haven't had since Rider.

I hope Davis goes to Minnesota in any way they can get him. He would help that team to the next level - out of the first round. They need someone aggressive in their guard ranks.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
about the sign and trade comment. Davis can't be traded if the offer is matched(which it now has been) for 4 monthes i believe, and a full year if it were to the wolves. So that would not be an options. It really sucks that we didn't get him, he's got mad game.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts