Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know he loves to play as much as he can, and I know Doc loves him, but since Ricky's been inserted as a starter here, he's been playing ridiculous amounts of minutes. He's currently tied for 2nd (with Shawn Marion) in the league in minutes per game, only trailing Allen Iverson.

When do you stop playing him? Does the guy need a rest?

Ricky's been amazing so far this season, he's doing 20/5/5 so far, and in the last two games he's had nine dimes each. He's rebounding, he's playing defense, he's asked to score, and play PG...a bit. Not that I'm not appreciating everything he's doing, but come Feburary, this guy will be beat.

Maybe Doc thinks he's still comming off the bench and needs to give him as many minutes as possible, but now he's playing starters and bench players minutes combined.

Loving it now, not so much later.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I agree - 40 mpg is a far too much

That being said, if I'm the coach of the Celtics right now, I would play Ricky 40 mpg to. He's the most versatile guy at both ends of the floor in terms of playing positions 1 through 3. He's the best 'team' player on our squad.

I don't know how to word this such that it makes sense, but I feel that Pierce is our most dominant/best player, yet Ricky is our most valuable player because he can play the 1 through 3. Ricky can score the basketball very well, but will never be as good as Paul at that. His stat line tonight was rather Ivernesque. The fact that he got off 21 shots and still managed 9 assists is impressive. If I was Doc, I'd take him into the film room and show him that he probably should have shot 15 times, might of scored the same amount and ended up with 12 assists and the game a lot closer. Ricky is inconsistent as a lights out scorer - you're not guaranteed 20 ppg everytime he steps on the court like you are with Paul - but his play making ability is consistent pretty much every night.

For now I feel that for the Celtics to be succesful, Ricky needs to be on the floor as much as possible and that the offense should run through him in the half court set. In the half court set, he's the best player on the team at running the offense.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
40 mpg is a lot for anybody.

And here we have the trade-off for the rebuilding strategy.
It's hard to justify not having him in with the his production being so good.
It's hard to justify burning him out while we develop other players.

They'll need to rest him sooner or later. Sooner might mean we have a better Ricky towards the end of the season.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Yes, I think we are playing Ricky too much and it's alarming to me. He's been absolutely FANTASTIC so far this season but I do beleive he will hit a wall if this keeps up. I don't think we can stand the brunt of that. The problem is I thought we'd have guys who could step in adequately for him, we don't. Our bench is TERRIBLE right now with the exception of Al and Al does not play the 1, 2 or 3...which is what Ricky does play. We really really need Gomes or Reed to step forward, if not a trade is going to have to take place because TA is shelved for a while I beleive and we are going to run Ricky into the ground.....I know he's not ANYWHERE near ready to play but at this point with our bench as terrible as they've been, I'd like to see just one game with Gerald Green and see if he can give us ANYTHING at all because it's pretty desperate right now from the bench.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
whiterhino said:
Yes, I think we are playing Ricky too much and it's alarming to me. He's been absolutely FANTASTIC so far this season but I do beleive he will hit a wall if this keeps up. I don't think we can stand the brunt of that. The problem is I thought we'd have guys who could step in adequately for him, we don't. Our bench is TERRIBLE right now with the exception of Al and Al does not play the 1, 2 or 3...which is what Ricky does play. We really really need Gomes or Reed to step forward, if not a trade is going to have to take place because TA is shelved for a while I beleive and we are going to run Ricky into the ground.....I know he's not ANYWHERE near ready to play but at this point with our bench as terrible as they've been, I'd like to see just one game with Gerald Green and see if he can give us ANYTHING at all because it's pretty desperate right now from the bench.
nice post whiterhino. I fully agree. We also are the type of team that needs to see what we really have in some of these young guys. Keeping them on the bench and riding Ricky etc. all day is not the way to do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts