Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sagarin doesn't go back any further online than 1998-1999 season.

Year: MAAC Rank/Overall Rank

2004-2005: 8th/260
2003-2004: 10th/258
2002-2003: 8th/244
2001-2002: 10th/284
2000-2001: 9th/233
1999-2000: 9th/263
1998-1999: 4th/199

An obvious pattern of not scheduling ANYONE - and an easy explanation as to why they were passed over by the NIT last year.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I don't believe there is any validity to the data for, one, and, two, what does that have to do with Rider's current SOS, and the fact that it owns the 2nd highest MAAC winning percentage in its history? Even if what you say is true, the data reveal that the MAAC has TOTALLY SUCKED since Rider has a very solid MAAC record to go along with some very nice OOC wins in recent years.

You thesis makes no sense.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rider is always decent...

They are a middle of the pack team who may get lucky one of these years. But the SOS doesn't lie. Other teams schedule better OOC games than Rider does.

We shouldn't make this board into a bash fest of any team. Let's dwell on some of the positive things that are going on.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
It's true, soup. Main reason is Rider likes to schedule NEC, Patriot, AE, CAA teams and call that a hard schedule. Rarely are A-10 and BE or BCS schools scheduled.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As Tony likes to point out - Rider never met a bus trip they didn't like.

God forbid they ever spend some money and get on a plane.

I merely posted factual information from the Sagarin ratings off of USAToday.com

Rider's winning percentage in the MAAC only magnifies the awful OOC opponents.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
But your points are irrelevant. Rider has long-standing rivalries with Delaware, Bucknell, Monmouth among others that they choose to honor. That only leaves a certain amount of games that can be scheduled. Rider has scheduled home and homes with Princeton, Penn, Seton Hall and Rutgers in recent years for strategic reasons and former head coaching relationships.

The one criticism I would accept is the fact that they have not played a lot of the A10 programs that that can beat, like Rhode Island, LaSalle, etc.

Rider's SOS will be Top 30 or Top 40 in the nation after the Nova game.

And you last point is incorrect. The MAAC's 20+ RPI is the reason the conference had not had an NIT bid in recent years, has nothing to do with Rider's scheduling.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Again, you cannot be a national program and be recognized as any more than a so-so regional mid-major unless you actually board a plane. Jesus, dude. Rider hasn't even played in any in-season tournaments. Alaska? Hawaii? Puerto Rico? Hell, play someone--ANYONE--on the other coast. Midwest? South? ANYWHERE? What is the fear of the Rider program to expand beyond the northeastern corridor?

And you wonder why your program isn't taken seriously.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was actually surprised to find this out.

Between 1998-99 and 2004-05, Rider won 10 games against non-conference teams in the RPI top 150.

The same stat for some other MAAC teams of note....

Iona - 10 wins
Manhattan - 8 wins
Niagara - 2 wins
Siena - 7 wins

Could Rider's schedule have been better than we've been giving them credit for? NAAAH!:basket:

And just to throw out some gratuitous, and completely meaningless numbers....The MAAC is currently ranked 10th in the RPI, led by Loyola at #4, NU at 43 and Iona at 53...Rider is #167...I don't have a point, apart from pointing out that these numbers are meaningless at this point of the season.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Don't know why you'd be surprised. Rider's been very competitive as it has been in every conference in its history. GuyF is obviously jealous of Rider's recruiting and the fact that his own school hasn't recruited an impact frosh in over 5 years. But I detailed the reasons for him years ago as to why things are different, the disparity has become greater with the new rec center, there is no way for IJC to catch up. That is what is important in terms of future growth and the future could not be brighter for the Broncs.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
VealCutlet said:
I was actually surprised to find this out.

Between 1998-99 and 2004-05, Rider won 10 games against non-conference teams in the RPI top 150.

The same stat for some other MAAC teams of note....

Iona - 10 wins
Manhattan - 8 wins
Niagara - 2 wins
Siena - 7 wins

Could Rider's schedule have been better than we've been giving them credit for? NAAAH!:basket:

And just to throw out some gratuitous, and completely meaningless numbers....The MAAC is currently ranked 10th in the RPI, led by Loyola at #4, NU at 43 and Iona at 53...Rider is #167...I don't have a point, apart from pointing out that these numbers are meaningless at this point of the season.
Not to spilt hairs Veal but where did you get your info, a quick check of College RPI shows Rider with 9 wins over top 150 RPI teams…. And I might add if we changed that number to top 125 Rider drops down considerably, Appears Rider has made a killing off of Drexel, Delaware and Penn . You’ll notice no wins over any major teams at all, in fact Rider seldom plays majors other than an occasional Villanova, Seton Hall or Rutgers and for good reason Rider normally gets trampled
Rider top 150 OOC wins since 98-99 season

99- none
00- Delaware , George Mason
01 Drexal Delaware
02 Princeton
03 Delaware, Penn
04 Drexel, Penn

Oh and one other stat, over that same time frame I show Siena with 10 wins over top 150 teams ( maybe you missed NIT games, where Siena has wins Umass, Villanova and Western Michigan in that time frame. ) I also believe if you look into the numbers, you’ll see several victories over Big East, A10 ( and other top 10 conferences) by Manhattan, Iona and Siena, Wins that really give the league a boost and add to our national visibility. I see none of those type wins by Rider, whose marquee wins came over CAA, AE and Ivy league teams all within a short bus rider ( opps slip that should be short bus ride;-)away, in short no national recognition at all. No wonder why BU fans are saying Rider who

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
RiderRaver said:
GuyF is obviously jealous of Rider's recruiting and the fact that his own school hasn't recruited an impact frosh in over 5 years.
We're starting 4 fourth-year seniors, and at least two of those seniors will be All-MAAC players--and possibly 3. So much for that theory.

RiderRaver said:
But I detailed the reasons for him years ago as to why things are different.
Yes, things are real different there. Since you started your speech to me about 7 or 8 years ago, Iona has won two MAAC titles and Rider zero.

RiderRaver said:
the disparity has become greater with the new rec center, there is no way for IJC to catch up.
Actually, we're still ahead of you. We have since added the Hynes Athletic Center and the Lapenta Student Union. But don't let those facts get in your way.

RiderRaver said:
That is what is important in terms of future growth and the future could not be brighter for the Broncs.
Unfortunately, we've heard the same song from you for nearly a decade on the boards. We're still waiting for this "bright future" to materialize.

And a good job above by Tony. Sometimes beating a bottom-feeding Big East team is more important than beating a good Ivy League team, regardless of the RPI. A lot of people see names, not numbers.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I agree with the take on the late 90's and early 2k, but Rider is upgrading their schedule it was the third or fourth toughest last year and will be in th top 3 this year. Next years will also be good. Rider usually flys to the Buffalo trip, they were in Hawaii two years ago, will fly to sc this year. I do agree that beating a low BE team is better then beating Penn even if Penn is 100 points higher in RPI. Rider is upgrading the schedule and their play I won't "raver it" but they are improving the MAAC not dragging it down. They need a couple of more good recruits and they will be at the top of the MAAC for the next few years. They also need the arena to complete the upgrade. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Rider improving the MAAC. How nice, considering the drag they've been for the past 9 years.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Beagle said:
I agree with the take on the late 90's and early 2k, but Rider is upgrading their schedule it was the third or fourth toughest last year and will be in th top 3 this year. Next years will also be good. Rider usually flys to the Buffalo trip, they were in Hawaii two years ago, will fly to sc this year. I do agree that beating a low BE team is better then beating Penn even if Penn is 100 points higher in RPI. Rider is upgrading the schedule and their play I won't "raver it" but they are improving the MAAC not dragging it down. They need a couple of more good recruits and they will be at the top of the MAAC for the next few years. They also need the arena to complete the upgrade. :biggrin:

The only acceptable criticism of Rider's scheduling is that they do not schedule A10 schools too often. I don't know if the lower A10 wants to schedule Rider. Outside of that they host BE teams, play conference tournaments and uphold long-standing rivalries. There is no room on the schedule to play Carolina or the ACC unless in a tourney format. There are no fewer than 10 DI programs excluding Rider in the immediate area, not including NYC, a situation unlike any other MAAC team.

I am also of the opinion that scheduling too difficult is season suicide, ask Fairfield how things have panned out in recent years. If Rider can maintain its 100-120 RPI and continue to bring in these recruits, the MAAC is far better off.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
One thing is for certain -- we will never know what rider's record would have been if they had a touch schedule. Reason being is they NEVER have scheduled tough -- this year included. Same old list of AE, Ivy, CAA, and NEC schools.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RiderRaver said:
...... If Rider can maintain its 100-120 RPI and continue to bring in these recruits, the MAAC is far better off.
How do you maintain an RPI Rider has not achieved, at least in the last seven years - and probably never?

Rider has never finished a season with a 120 RPI or less.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Actually, raver's facts are wrong. Last year, Rider's RPI was about 130. All the 'shadow' RPI services miscalculated the change the NCAA made to the RPI formula, and this error wasn't picked up on until late in the year.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pomeroy had it at 126 last year. If it was sub 120, you guys would have been in the NIT.

Maybe GalaxyoftheStars.com had it at 115.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts