Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Have a GREAT day!
13,758 Posts
That goaltending was ridiculous...

· Registered
6,750 Posts
DaBruins said:
not in the sense that i actually believe the game was rigged, BUT, this was so rigged!

Also some terrible refs in the BC game, as well as our games.
Tell me about it. If BC and Washington would've won I would've had my pool wrapped up already. Oh well, just have to win it the old fashioned way. Go Horns!

· Registered
158 Posts
I am predicting there will be an investigation or at the very least a TON of attention paid to this travesty of a game. Many articles will be written and many casual observers of basketball will be talking about this for a while.

· Registered
17,281 Posts
This is ridiculous. This years Tournament has been the highest in years and so many big teams have been knocked out, you don't need Duke, UConn, and North Carolina for ratings, you need good games. Bad officiating, fine, but this isn't rigged.

· Registered
8,665 Posts
Nimreitz said:
This is ridiculous. This years Tournament has been the highest in years and so many big teams have been knocked out, you don't need Duke, UConn, and North Carolina for ratings, you need good games. Bad officiating, fine, but this isn't rigged.
What he said. It's a little more classy.

But still conspiracy theorists = go get a life.

· Have a GREAT day!
13,758 Posts
BillDark said:
I am predicting there will be an investigation or at the very least a TON of attention paid to this travesty of a game. Many articles will be written and many casual observers of basketball will be talking about this for a while.
:laugh:

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BillDark said:
i doubt very much that there will be an investigation, or that they would even find anything close to being fixed. Point shaving probably happens more than we know or would like to admit, but not stuff like this (of course if i was a ref i'd give UCLA every call).

· Registered
1,410 Posts
I don't know about 'rigged', neccesarily, either. But after reading Gene Wojciechowski's piece on ESPN this morning (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2383347) I did feel compelled to drop him a letter (and I bother to write letters to media types maybe once a year) after reading stuff like this:

Instead, UConn left the court with the 98-92 victory, though nobody, including U-Dub's players and Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun, is exactly sure how it happened.
Dear Mr. Wojciechowski-

I'm sure you'll get million e-mails like this (well, a lot of them probably less polite) but I have to say I found your story about about last night's regional semifinal a bit, err, lacking, in that you managed to write it without any mention of the officiating, which was, in a word, appalling. Resorting to blaming the refs for a loss is a time-dishonored loser's traditions in sports, and one I have no intention of doing here. (Aside: I had no rooting interest in the outcome of this game. Not allegiance, brackets or bets.)

However, to not even even acknowledge the numerous questionable calls and non-calls that went in UConn's favor in the second half and overtime and the boos that rained down on the court towards the end of the conttest and afterwards would seem to be well within the scope of merely reporting on the game, no opinion required. If one read your piece with no other knowledge of the contest, s/he wouldn't merely be missing part of the narrative of the game, but in fact have no inkling of the aspect that I would guess most college basketball fans, outside of Connectict partisans, are discussing this morning.

"nobody...is exactly sure how it happened." Are you sure about that?

Sincerely

· Registered
158 Posts
Junior,

I am not saying the fix was in. INVESTIGATION OF THE HORRIBLE OFFICIATING. You know, like when there is something that was so aggregious that the officials are repremanded because their horrible offciating seriously affected the outcome of a game. A conspiracy theorist I am not. [strike]So ******* *** **** **** you asterisk 'tard. [/strike]

JSMO,

See above..

· Registered
8,665 Posts
BillDark said:
Junior,

I am not saying the fix was in. INVESTIGATION OF THE HORRIBLE OFFICIATING. You know, like when there is something that was so aggregious that the officials are repremanded because their horrible offciating seriously affected the outcome of a game. A conspiracy theorist I am not. [strike]So ******* *** **** **** you asterisk 'tard. [/strike]

JSMO,

See above..
If you don't beleive there was a conspiracy, and are just concernecd about horrible officiating then my post was not directed towards you.

Then again you did say:
"This will be a hard one to blame simply on bad officiating". That comment can be easily implied that you thought there was something dirty going on, but if I misinterpreted fine.

Horrible officiating = Fairly Common, and can impact an indiviudal game
Saying it is Rigged = Stupid

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.