Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WASHINGTON -- Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo says manager Jim Riggleman has resigned.

Following the Nationals' 1-0 victory over the Seattle Mariners on Thursday afternoon, Rizzo said that Riggleman quit after he requested the team pick up the option on his contract for 2012 and the club declined.

The team will name an interim manager Friday before the Nationals face the White Sox.

Rizzo said Riggleman told him he would not travel with the team to Chicago. Riggleman was unavailable after the Nationals won for the 11th time in 12 games.

Riggleman is the second manager to resign this week. Florida Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez quit Sunday.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6697463

·
MLB Fanatic
544 Posts
This is sad, considering how good the Nats have been playing as of late. Once of again it all boils down to money issues, so sad.

·
Administrator
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently, you guys will also go strong after Fielder this winter.

·
MLB Fanatic
544 Posts
Yeah that doesn't make sense. You don't resign a manager your playing .500 ball with mid way through the season, but you go out and drop a crapton of money on free agents.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
If Riggleman wants to get an extension he should go win some games. It is not like he can not manage and I figure all he needs to do is keep the people in the seats personally. No one is expecting him to make the playoffs in that division

·
do better
41,522 Posts
That's a past tense situation

And they just won 11 out of 12 games to claw back near .500

It is a little perplexing. Kind of defeats the purpose of requesting an extension for presumed job security then unemploying yourself

·
Premium Member
100,008 Posts
Exactly, they have money to give Jayson twice what he's werth but can't show the manager that has them playing great ball a little vote of confidence? Typical "Natinals".

·
Super Moderator
14,320 Posts
Riggleman gave them an ultimatum... I guess on the one hand I have to give him credit for sticking to his guns, but that's not exactly a smart way to negotiate (see: he's unemployed now).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts