Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
I've been following the reports on this a little bit. It sounds like the Bulls are trying to do a salary dump to stay under the tax, and Rip is apparently the one who makes the most sense to dump. IMO, Jerry doesn't see the point in paying the tax in a year where the franchise player is out for 50 games and probability of a championship is low. I also heard about some repeat offender tax (new for this CBA) where there are penalties if you're in luxury tax territory in consecutive seasons (sorry, don't know much more than that).

Anyway, here is the problem with trading Rip...I think Rip has some trade value because he still does some things at a high level -- especially to contender teams -- and he's on a short (1-yr) and modest ($5M) contract. However, the Bulls are not just looking to trade for a player, they are looking to take back less salary than what Rip makes. To do that, they need a team under the cap and there are only so many teams out there under the cap. Of those teams, most are not playoff caliber and thus have little use for Rip's services.

As for the Cavs, apparently they will absorb Rip's contract if the Bulls give up a 1st rounder. I am not a fan of that personally and I don't blame management for holding back on that offer. Make it a 2nd rounder and we'll call it a deal.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm not a fan either of giving a pick... Even if the pick was 3-4 years down the road, when it will most likely be an end of the first rnd pick.

Who are the other options outside Cleveland? I mean, the central is going to be wide open. Id assume the pacers will be favorites, but do they blow u away? Nope. Cleveland could surprise...

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
IMO it would be straight insulting to the fanbase who supports them if they give away a first rounder just to avoid a small tax for one year when they sell out every single game.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
IMO it would be straight insulting to the fanbase who supports them if they give away a first rounder just to avoid a small tax for one year when they sell out every single game.
I agree, and I speculate this is why the deal hasn't gotten done yet.

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
As for the Cavs, apparently they will absorb Rip's contract if the Bulls give up a 1st rounder. I am not a fan of that personally and I don't blame management for holding back on that offer. Make it a 2nd rounder and we'll call it a deal.
Why would the Cavaliers pay $5 million for a pick in the 50s when the going rate for picks in the 30s is $1 million? Besides the 2013 draft is crap, if ever there's a year to be giving away a late first this is it.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Why would the Cavaliers pay $5 million for a pick in the 50s when the going rate for picks in the 30s is $1 million? Besides the 2013 draft is crap, if ever there's a year to be giving away a late first this is it.
Presumably because they'd also be getting a relatively inexpensive and short-term contract for a player who might end up being their best wing player next year. And they would still be under luxury tax.

·
1.7%
7,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When paired with Rose, I think Rip is pretty decent. I don't think the team is now good enough to beat the Heat(unlike last year where I thought we were capable of chipping up when fully healthy), but if Rose comes back in January and we don't give away anyone else, I still think we're the 2nd best team out East. Dumping off Hamilton will further widen the gap between us and Miami.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
When paired with Rose, I think Rip is pretty decent. I don't think the team is now good enough to beat the Heat(unlike last year where I thought we were capable of chipping up when fully healthy), but if Rose comes back in January and we don't give away anyone else, I still think we're the 2nd best team out East. Dumping off Hamilton will further widen the gap between us and Miami.
Agreed, although I think I would be willing to dump him this season for a chance to nab Malcolm Thomas. Dump Boozer and have a Gibson/Thomas combo at PF. If it works out, we have very good players not making a lot of money at one of the lesser important positions. Then we have flexibility to add our #2 guy at SG/SF/PF/C

Rose/Harden/xxx/Gibson/Noah
Rose/xxx/Deng/Love/Noah
Rose/Gordon/xxx/Gibson/Noah
Rose/xxx/Deng/Gibson/Bynum

In any #2 scenario, we need to score with a good player at a MLE or slightly above type contract at the void.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Rip Hamilton is beyond bad these days. Why pay Hamilton $5 million when they could spend less on Delfino? There are just so many better options for bench players for a non-contender.
I know it's cool these days to say Rip Hamilton sucks. Except he really doesn't. What it really comes down to is whether he's healthy. I know he's been injured alot the past few seasons and that led to some bad games, but he also added a nice spark to the Bulls' offense last year when he was healthy. He and Rose played really well together in the short time they played together and their offense definitely took it up a notch. The guy still can run guys around screens to wear them down, hit the midrange J, run the floor on the fast break and finish, and he is a really good passer.

If he can stay healthy it is just inaccurate to say he can't help the Cavs. I could see him playing well w/ Kyrie Irving just how he and Rose played well together. That team needs a veteran presence.

This trade would be low risk, high reward for the Cavs. It's a 1-yr deal, they remain under the cap, and they get better.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Agreed, although I think I would be willing to dump him this season for a chance to nab Malcolm Thomas. Dump Boozer and have a Gibson/Thomas combo at PF. If it works out, we have very good players not making a lot of money at one of the lesser important positions. Then we have flexibility to add our #2 guy at SG/SF/PF/C

Rose/Harden/xxx/Gibson/Noah
Rose/xxx/Deng/Love/Noah
Rose/Gordon/xxx/Gibson/Noah
Rose/xxx/Deng/Gibson/Bynum

In any #2 scenario, we need to score with a good player at a MLE or slightly above type contract at the void.

Thomas has taken the Bulls off his list, last I read.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Thomas has taken the Bulls off his list, last I read.
Correct. With the Teague signing, the Bulls are roughly $100k away from being able to offer another minimum level contract. Hence, we couldn't even sign Thomas and why we are off his list. Thomas did say that he would love to play for the Bulls and is appreciative for giving him his chance.

If we can get rid of Rip now, that would open up dollars to sign TMac and Thomas. I'd be in favor of shedding Rip's and getting Thomas on a cheap two or three year deal. If it doesn't happen, we are more in win now mode and hope Rose can return in January.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Correct. With the Teague signing, the Bulls are roughly $100k away from being able to offer another minimum level contract. Hence, we couldn't even sign Thomas and why we are off his list. Thomas did say that he would love to play for the Bulls and is appreciative for giving him his chance.

If we can get rid of Rip now, that would open up dollars to sign TMac and Thomas. I'd be in favor of shedding Rip's and getting Thomas on a cheap two or three year deal. If it doesn't happen, we are more in win now mode and hope Rose can return in January.

Boy, not having that $100K or so in space is pretty annoying. I for one would welcome a T-Mac signing, just given concerns over Rip's ability to stay healthy for a full season. He would be decent cheap insurance. He'd also make it easier for Deng to get the surgery, if he goes that route.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Boy, not having that $100K or so in space is pretty annoying. I for one would welcome a T-Mac signing, just given concerns over Rip's ability to stay healthy for a full season. He would be decent cheap insurance. He'd also make it easier for Deng to get the surgery, if he goes that route.
It is possible that we sign TMac about 10-12 games into the season for the remainder. He might be willing to wait to do this.

A guy like Malcolm Thomas would probably not be willing to wait if there is other guaranteed money and another opportunity out there.

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
I know it's cool these days to say Rip Hamilton sucks. Except he really doesn't. What it really comes down to is whether he's healthy. I know he's been injured alot the past few seasons and that led to some bad games, but he also added a nice spark to the Bulls' offense last year when he was healthy. He and Rose played really well together in the short time they played together and their offense definitely took it up a notch. The guy still can run guys around screens to wear them down, hit the midrange J, run the floor on the fast break and finish, and he is a really good passer.
The Cavs aren't making the playoffs this year, and Rip Hamilton doesn't get them there. He literally does nothing for the Cavs but cost them money over another bench depth player. Because Delfino, Pietrus, Terrence Williams and others are much cheaper. And they can get vet presences so much cheaper than $5 million. (Not to mention the fact that they already have guys like Andy Varejão as a vet presence.) Sorry. The Cavaliers aren't spending $5 million on a pick in the 50s. They might spend it on a pick in the 20s, but not the 50s.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Jerry has NEVER seen the point in paying luxury tax.
Well he has said on record he will pay luxury tax for a contender. And this upcoming season we are likely not a contender unless Rose as a remarkable comeback.

If you are referring to the past 12 years or whatever it's been since the luxury tax system went into place, the majority of that was for lottery teams and at best 2nd round and out teams. The past 2 years it was not an issue since our franchise player was still on his rookie contract.

I don't care if people knock JR for being cheap or whatever, but I don't blame the guy for avoiding the luxury tax, you only do that if you're in a prime position to lock in multiple marquee players which we haven't been. Luxury tax in the new CBA is no joke. Did you see Mark Cuban's comments on it? If Cuban knows it strangles you, than you know it's serious.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts