Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Yes, please.
16,621 Posts
Demiloy said:
I was looking at Richard Hamiltons' stats, and, man, I just noticed that he's number one in three-point shooting in the league. How in the world did he go from 27%% to 35% to 47% in just two years?
Because he takes such a low amount of 3's. If he made 10 less 3's this year, he'd be at 37%.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It's not only because he takes few threes.. last year he took around the same number of 3's as he's going to end up with this year, and he shot 31%.

It's also his shot selection. Because the Pistons offense under Saunders get them a lot of open outside shots, Rip gets a lot of catch-and-shoot opportunities. Unfortunately I think that's the only type of 3's he can hit. He's like the Bruce Bowen when it comes to 3's, except Bowen gets open opportunities because people forget to guard him, while Rip gets open opportunities from great ball movement.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
He's been fortunate enough to get a lot of wide open looks at the three point line. He's a great mid-range shooter, but he can't create space for himself to get a good look at the three point line. I'm sure if he took more contested 3's, he wouldn't have such a good percentage.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
He has great shot recognition & shot selection. He only takes them when he's really open & he makes most of his 3s from the corners which is like a patent long mid-range shot for him. Josh Smith is another guy whose improved his 3 pt. shooting in the last few weeks & also Al Harrington this year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.