Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week is useally dubs as ESPN's Rivarly week.

This week you have
Syracuse-Connecticut,
Saint Joseph's-Villanova,
Missouri-Kansas,
Kentucky-Florida,
Arizona-Stanford
Duke-North Carolina

We have this topic come up over and over. I fee the best two rivarlies are Kansas/Missouri and UNC/DUKE, hands down.

Other good rivarlies
Xavier-Cincy
Michigan-MSU
are for examples

However, I do not like how people think UK/Duke is a rivarly. I remember when we had this topic before, someone mention UK and DUke as a top rivarly. I do not think they are a TRUE rivarly. Really the only history is in the tourney. How much do they play year in year out? A true rivarly when two teams hate each otehr with a passion, and has some deep history. Kansas and Missouri is a perfect example of that. Both sides hate each other. That is just a matter of fact. Kansas fans may work with Missouri fans and vice versa. Some might be couples. However when it comes to the three big games of the year. Football and two basketball games, there is so much hatred between the two sides. this goes back to the cival war when Gorillas from Missouri burn down Lawrenece and a group called the "jayhawkers" save the remaining of the city from the Missouri group

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Florida-Kentucky is always a game to watch. No one wants to lose that game, Florida have been in a bit of a slump lately and they really want to win this one.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LegoHat</b>!
Florida have been in a bit of a slump lately and they really want to win this one.
UK has been in a slump since the Miss State game, except they've pulled a few wins out somehow. Tubby cancelled practice today to get the message to the players that "I'm tired of this selfish and unfocused play, and so is everyone else". If we lose to Florida tommorrow, of course I'll be mad, but hopefully the players will get the message.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
It's unfortunate that Syracuse really doesn't have a big rival anymore.

From the early 80's to the early 90'd there was probably no better rivalry then Syracuse - Georgetown. That was pure hate - and what it made it better then rivalries today was that the rivalry was based on HATE between the teams on the floor, not some regional rivalry where fans hated each other

A rivalry is clearly great, when it is able to overcome regional bounds. Syracuse and the city of Washington are not exactly rivals, like say bordering states like Missouri-Kansas or Michigan-Ohio.

Syracuse - Georgetown:
- The Big ******* in John Thompson vs The Geek in Jim Boeheim
- Syracuse the finesse team vs the Goonish Punks from Georgetown
- Games that meant something - for a 10 year period, it was always Syracuse or Georgetown winning either the BE regular season or tournament. In the 80's the Big East was "The" conference in America, although alot of that was media driven.
- The players on the floor truly hated each other.
- Thompson proclaiming "I have officially closed Manley Fieldhouse" after Georgetown won the last game
- At one point in the early 90's, I believe seven of the 10 most attended regular season games in college history were Syracuse vs Georgetown.

A rivalry that is not based on region, usually cannot last more then a decade or so.

And that is the case now. The evil character in Thompson is gone, Georgetown is just another team, Syracuse has never been higher then a 3 seed since 1991, the players on the floor do not mark this game on their calendar. Basically the hate is gone.

My question? Is there any great rivalries right now where the rivalry is not based on region.

College basketball may never see another rivalry like Syracuse-Georgetown. A rivalry where the teams were based was irrelevant.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't consider Kansas and Missouri a region rivarly at all. Granted it is a state line and two states, but not based on a region.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kansasalumn</b>!
I don't consider Kansas and Missouri a region rivarly at all. Granted it is a state line and two states, but not based on a region.
It is a recognized rivalry on the national scene, not a regional rivalry. But my point is the driving factor behind the development of the rivalry is that they are rivals from nearby states - that is my point.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
oklahoma state vs oklahoma, the bedlam game, is one of the better rivalries. louisville and kentucky is also pretty intense. none of those games are this week, but they are really great rivalries.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: LMAO

Originally posted by <b>3rd Ward Owl</b>!
Cincy-XU is an "other good rivalry". You're joking right?
no i am not joking. Cincy/XU is a good rivarly. Enough said. You shoudl see how much Xavier fans do not care for UC fans on the A-10 fourm.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kansasalumn</b>!
This week is useally dubs as ESPN's Rivarly week.

This week you have
Syracuse-Connecticut,
Saint Joseph's-Villanova,
Missouri-Kansas,
Kentucky-Florida,
Arizona-Stanford
Duke-North Carolina

We have this topic come up over and over. I fee the best two rivarlies are Kansas/Missouri and UNC/DUKE, hands down.

Other good rivarlies
Xavier-Cincy
Michigan-MSU
are for examples

However, I do not like how people think UK/Duke is a rivarly. I remember when we had this topic before, someone mention UK and DUke as a top rivarly. I do not think they are a TRUE rivarly. Really the only history is in the tourney. How much do they play year in year out? A true rivarly when two teams hate each otehr with a passion, and has some deep history. Kansas and Missouri is a perfect example of that. Both sides hate each other. That is just a matter of fact. Kansas fans may work with Missouri fans and vice versa. Some might be couples. However when it comes to the three big games of the year. Football and two basketball games, there is so much hatred between the two sides. this goes back to the cival war when Gorillas from Missouri burn down Lawrenece and a group called the "jayhawkers" save the remaining of the city from the Missouri group
hey dude wat bout wisonsin and minnesota???:confused:

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Re: rivarly week

Originally posted by <b>KG4MVP2</b>!

hey dude wat bout wisonsin and minnesota???:confused:
ok on the first list I just put the games on ESPN this week. Second list are just two exmples of good rivariles.

hey that rivarly is good. I am not sure if it is one of the all time greats on the national level, but it is on the short list of good rivarlies.

Also the lists of good rivariles is each person opinon. SOme may not think one rivarly is good, and some say this one is better.

From a general response, the top two basketball rivarilies on the boards is DUKE/UNC and kansas/Missouri from pervious threads that has this topic.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
why would ESPN consider Kansas/Texas Tech a rivarly for their self-acclaimed rivarly week? I hardly even consider it a rivarily

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.