Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
do better
41,522 Posts
What??? **** man. What happened? Video? That pisses me off Mo don't deserve to go out like that

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
I pretty much hate almost anyything yankee related.. but Rivera was one of the few guys that i could stand. Hell of a pitcher, class act his whole career.. shame to see him go out this way, i never like seeing a hofer bow out like this

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
this is just horrible. the video of what happen is on espn and it doesnt even look like it is that bad but when he goes down you can just tell. i really dont know what to say if this is how Mo career ends

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
David Robertson seems to be ready to take over the job. But not having Mo come out for the 9th is gonna tough

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Another fact just showing how great Mo is

Since 1997, there are 12 teams with fewer saves than Mariano Rivera
also reading through twitter ive not seen one bad thing written about Rivera. Its a shame such a great guy goes down like this

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is just horrible. the video of what happen is on espn and it doesnt even look like it is that bad but when he goes down you can just tell. i really dont know what to say if this is how Mo career ends
After seeing Rose/Shumpert recently my initial reaction when I saw Rivera's injury was torn ACL.

I'm not familiar with baseball training regimen but it seems odd that a closer is out there chasing down fly balls.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
It's customary for pitchers to shag fly balls during BP, it's just a way to get a little cardio in. Most pitchers just mail it in though, apparently Rivera did it more earnestly than others.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
That sucks. Would be cool for him to get healthy enough to maybe come back and just close at least one more game if given the chance before hanging it up for good. This is a crappy way to go out for the best ever at what he does.

·
Premium Member
100,008 Posts
He has been doing it every game for the last 10 years. Probably just to get the leg lose and stuff
If I remember correctly, Rivera was actually discovered by the Yankees as a shortstop in Panama. He's an athletic guy, and yea it's pretty customary for pitchers (starters and relievers) to shag fly balls during BP. Blows that this happened though, just a freak accident.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
I listened to a BS Report with Bill Simmons and Jonah Kerri and apparently Rivera is actually one hell of an athlete and has been doing this since like 1990 something. One of them recited a quote from a Yankee coach of some variety, when they were asked who was the best center fielder on the Yankees they gave an honest answer, saying that Mariano Rivera was.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts