Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- So, what did coach Doc Rivers say to earn the quickest technical assessed a head coach this season with 10 minutes 19 seconds left in the first quarter? According to Rivers, not much.

"I said [to referee Tim Donaghy], `C'mon know the rule. That wasn't a hook,' " said Rivers, who was protesting an offensive foul call against Antoine Walker.

Suffice it to say, Rivers uttered the so-called magic words to earn a second technical and ejection during the same stoppage. Since the two have a history of interactions, Rivers believes the referee may have had an agenda.

"I think Tim Donaghy has got it in [for me]," said Rivers. "That was a personal tech [the first time]. But I earned the second one. I don't approve of what I did. I hurt the team. We have had run-ins, but you always have run-ins. But the first tech, I never got off the bench and I still got the call. What was that about? I'll call the league office on it, but there's not much you can do. Instead of running up the floor [after the first technical, Donaghy] hung back. I made a decision on the second and that was a horrible decision. It hurt the team."
Rivers had every reason to be upset if he got a tech just for that. I also think Rivers has a point about the ref having it in for him, what other reason could there be for getting a T because he said the Walker off. foul wasn't a hook?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Shouldn't have gotten thrown out of the game for sure.
It was ridiculous.

PdP

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
I like this move by Doc, although he will get fined for the comments he made about Donaghy. I didn't watch most of the game so I can't really leave a comment on the ejection, but if what Rivers said is true, than that referee should be fined or suspended.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
AoK-TripleDouble said:
Can't blame Doc for that, I know how frustrating it is when the refs suck and are making unfair calls

But there was no point for Doc to be upset. The game didn't go on for two minutes. It wasn't like the Refs were calling every foul for the Nets and all against us, and even if they were, it was only the begining.

Doc didn't do anything, he just sat on the bench and said in the nicest way possible something to the ref, and he gets thrown out of the game.

That call was complete BS.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Personally,

I dislike the rule that a player or coach can be fined for criticizing the officiating of a game. If the officiating is bad, a coach or player should have every right to voice their opinion to the media without fear of getting fined.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts