Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there is a lot of talk about the nets getting a decent power forward this year and that will probably happen. But if somehow they can't get swift or SAR, putting RJ at the power forward postion could work.

Jefferson has the height and the strength to play the power forward position, and his defense is good enough to contain most of the power forward's in the league. He's no Kenyon Martin, but he's a good post player and will create matcup problems with his ability to hiit jump shots. RJ probably won't evolve into a shawn marion type of player, but he might come close.

If we put RJ at power forward, kristic at center, vince at sf, j-kidd at point, we'll need another shooting guard or small forward. buford or mercer might work, but i rather pick up a more talented one and leave those two on the bench. Kittles? Simmons? G.Wallace? Dickau?

This probably isn't what the nets and Thorn have in mind. But hey, next year the nets just might be the Phoenix Suns of the east...

·
Registered
46 Posts
no way rj plays the pf. he isnt stout enough, and would get tossed around in the blocks. we have a hard enough time rebounding now with collins, could you imagine trying to do it with rj?

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey i think rj is averaging more rebounds than collins

RJ: 7.3 rebounds...........1.5 offensive
Collins: 6.2 rebounds......2 offensive

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
fruitcake said:
hey i think rj is averaging more rebounds than collins

RJ: 7.3 rebounds...........1.5 offensive
Collins: 6.2 rebounds......2 offensive
Does anyone know how much larger Marion is than Jefferson? Marion plays PF for the Suns this year.

-Petey

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jefferson: 6-7...225
Marion: 6-7..228

source: yahoo sports

I wouldn't say marion is that much larger

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Guess not. Would be interesting, but they do have Amare.

-Petey

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Petey said:
Guess not. Would be interesting, but they do have Amare.

-Petey
we have krstic! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Interesting, but I don't think so. If we are going to win a championship we are going to have to go against the likes of Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett and I don't think RJ could handle them. I say we just keep him at SF and try to get a big man in the off season.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
If Vince starts running with Kidd more, which he has lately, I think this could definitely work, especially in the East. A player I think would work into this scheme great for the Nets is, suprise surprise, Juan Dixon. The Nets would once again be the best fastbreaking team in the league, and without a doubt one of the top offensive threats.

C- Nenad Krstic (Jason Collins)
PF- Richard Jefferson (Cliff Robinson)
SF- Vince Carter (Zoran Planinic)
SG- Juan Dixon (Rookie/FA)
PG- Jason Kidd (Jacque Vaughn)

That would be the rough draft of next year's lineup, but I really like it. Juan would defend the quicker point guards for Jason, and with his stealing ability, our fastbreak would be better than ever. As for the rookie SG, we can pick up a young talent like Gerald Green, Antoine Wright, Kennedy Winston, Monta Ellis, CJ Miles, Rudy Fernandez, Francisco Garcia, Salim Stoudamire, or Louis Williams. There's a lot of different players we can go for, and that's only at the 2 spot.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh ya..forgot about juan dixon...he's been great for the wizards this year

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
kg,duncan and other good bigs would love us to play rj on them. they will just shoot over all the time and because rj doesnt defend post players every day, he will get into foul trouble and we dont need that. plus the only way he will play pf is because the other team is small too, not because we have too. FP is a big's position, rj is not a big. kenyon even had some problems with some PF's and we all know how good kenyon is on defense. so rj would only be there via foul trouble to our bigs or if a team has a small lineup on the floor as well. plus if we dont get stro or sar, we still have collins/krstic and probably bringing back veal-so why would rj even be a thought to be our pf?

plus players usually play better when they play their normal positions. we need rj to be our sf and get vince back to the 2. why play your best players out of position if you dont need too? there is a reason why they play those positions their whole career

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well phoenix's defense isn't that great, but they win a lot of games.......

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
This is an intriguing argument, but RJ would get owned by most PFs on the blocks.... The nets def. shud draft a big man, like Hakim Warrick, or sign a free agent big man like rahim, swift, or Marshall..

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
fruitcake said:
well phoenix's defense isn't that great, but they win a lot of games.......
and that is why they wont win the nba title this year. they are just a second coming of the past MAVs teams except they have been more consistant with their scoring. its nice to score 100+pts, but when you also giving up 100+pts it makes you think.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Vincanity15311 said:
This is an intriguing argument, but RJ would get owned by most PFs on the blocks.... The nets def. shud draft a big man, like Hakim Warrick, or sign a free agent big man like rahim, swift, or Marshall..
Hakim isn't much bigger than RJ. Richard actually outweights Warrick.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
jmk said:

Hakim isnt that much bigger, but neither was k-mart when he got into the league.... I see so many similarities between k-mart's and hakim's game...They're both solid inside scorers and great athletes. Hakim has a huge wing span and can block any shot.....Stromile Swift, who the nets might potentially sign as a PF is the same size as Warrick... It might b a good pick..

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Hakim Warrick: 6-8 220 pounds

Charlie Villanueva: 6-11 230 pounds.

Villanueva also has a better outside game than Warrick. I think we should draft Charlie.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kenyon Martin: 6-9...240
Stromile Swift: 6-9...225
Richard Jefferson 6-7...225
Hakim Warrick 6-9...220
Shawn Marion 6-7...225

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
jmk said:
Warrick is taller and longer and has a game more suited to the PF spot than RJ. Also, Marion is definitely longer (and I would think taller (despite the #'s posted here)) than RJ.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts