Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

RJ speaks his mind ...

1K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  BigThree 
#1 ·
"Maybe the 1 o'clock start really helped us; Dirk and those guys didn't really wake up until the second half," said Richard Jefferson (28 points, 11-of-16 shooting) in the Nets' only ABC game this season.

"We haven't had one TNT game all year. That makes no sense. It's not jealousy, but we've had the division lead all year . . . We have an All-Star in Vince Carter, one of the game's most exciting players in J-Kidd, we're playing exciting basketball, and we can't get any love from these people? Ridiculous."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/63363.htm

Reactions: Anima
#2 ·
Look at the last paragraph of that article... :biggrin:

#5 · (Edited)
RJ is a true NET, more than Kidd or Carter ever will be.

Carter still has a chance to be a great NET and I hope he goes into the Hall Of Fame as a Net. Yes kids, as much as I criticize Carter for his 7-22 shooting and part-time defense, he is still a special player (notice I did not say "great") and will probably go into the Hall Of Fame.

Kidd has made his mark by taking the NETS to back to back finals, but demanding the max contract and putting the Nets in a bind when he knew they had to sign both KMart and RJ coming up was not the right thing to do...it was the selfish thing to do. As much as I want the Nets to win a Championship with this crew, I won't feel sorry for Kidd if they don't.

I will only feel sorry for RJ, for he is the only true NET left...

#7 ·
furnace said:

Carter still has a chance to be a great NET and I hope he goes into the Hall Of Fame as a Net. Yes kids, as much as I criticize Carter for his 7-22 shooting and part-time defense, he is still a special player (notice I did not say "great") and will probably go into the Hall Of Fame.

Kidd has made his mark by taking the NETS to back to back finals, but demanding the max contract and putting the Nets in a bind when he knew they had to sign both KMart and RJ coming up was not the right thing to do...it was the selfish thing to do. As much as I want the Nets to win a Championship with this crew, I won't feel sorry for Kidd if they don't.

I will only feel sorry for RJ, for he is the only true NET left..
I dont agree with this one bit. After leading us to two final appereances Kidd set the market for himself and cashed in (can you blame him?). He also gave up a chance to play alongside Duncan to stay with us and helps us win a title. You dont see Duncan, Iverson or any other elite players taking a pay cut so dont put that against him.

#10 · (Edited)
furnace said:
How can you say that? The max was what he was worth back then. He didn't go to play with the Spurs. They were offering him pretty much the same money. Say what you may, but just the fact that he stayed in NJ shows his loyalty towards the organization. It's a profession after all. Kidd was playing his best basketball back then. Anyway, we're not discussing who is a "true" Net and who's not.

#12 ·
furnace said:

The Nets begged him to take the max contract, which he earned in spades.

They signed that waste of DNA Zo to what turns out to be a reasonable contract (but at the time was considered an outrageous risk) because they believed it would keep him here.

To think Kidd should have taken take less than a max contract to help the Nets is naive and unreasonable.

And, BTW, they didn't need his help. They figured out a way to make the team better and ensure a bright future without any concessions on his part.

#13 ·
What a coincidence that the Nets' only ABC game is scheduled at the same time as a Lakers-Cavs game and is only shown to 10% of the country.

#14 ·
Grandmazter3 said:
No respect:
Coach Lawrence Frank walks into the press room for his post-game news conference, only to see all heads turned the other way to watch the final seconds of the Cavs-Lakers game. After a few uncomfortable moments, Frank decides to begin.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060320
That is pathetic, but what more can we expect from the national media?

#15 ·
furnace said:

Krstic!!!!
RJ is my favorite player, though I know he is not the best.

#16 ·
Grandmazter3 said:
I dont agree with this one bit. After leading us to two final appereances Kidd set the market for himself and cashed in (can you blame him?). He also gave up a chance to play alongside Duncan to stay with us and helps us win a title. You dont see Duncan, Iverson or any other elite players taking a pay cut so dont put that against him.
That max contract was well deserved. He was a very legit MVP candidate in those years. But if you want to win a championship you have to give up some money to improve your team so your team can go further in the playoffs.

#19 ·
RJ is absolutely correct!!!! How can ESPN, TNT, and ABC justify providing more coverage of the Cleveland Cavaliers than the Nets who are consistently in first place? Even if they truly believe that LeBron is more marketable than Vince Carter, Jason Kidd, R.J., and Krsitic put together, they have to look at reality and say, "It's a very good chance that Nets are a good team this year and they might do exceptionally well in the Play-Offs." It's just fundamentally unfair that the National Media is practically putting a Team like the Cavaliers on their back and making that Team an All -Star team just about every week. Every good Team out there deserves a chance in the spotlight no matter who they are. I think that I will change the name ESPN to "LeBron ESPN Express" next time anyone asks me about any upcoming televised game on ESPN. :biggrin: :clap:

#20 ·
Grandmazter3 said:
Aurelino said:
How can you say that? The max was what he was worth back then. He didn't go to play with the Spurs. They were offering him pretty much the same money. Say what you may, but just the fact that he stayed in NJ shows his loyalty towards the organization. It's a profession after all. Kidd was playing his best basketball back then. Anyway, we're not discussing who is a "true" Net and who's not.

Kidd did not stay here "to help us win a title." Kidd stayed here because as an incumbent team, Nets could offer more money than a competitor. I forgot exactly how much more, but it was at least 10-20 million more.

RJ took a pay cut to stay with the Nets. He could have not resigned and played the free agent market to drive up his value, but he didn't. I signed early for a lower amount so the Nets would have some money left to get help.

#21 ·
furnace said:
Kidd did not stay here "to help us win a title." Kidd stayed here because as an incumbent team, Nets could offer more money than a competitor. I forgot exactly how much more, but it was at least 10-20 million more.

RJ took a pay cut to stay with the Nets. He could have not resigned and played the free agent market to drive up his value, but he didn't. I signed early for a lower amount so the Nets would have some money left to get help.
Jason chose, what, $115 million over $105 million? I think you're searching for something that isn't there. Kidd has been extremely loyal to this team and to say that he is not a true Net is disgusting. Richard is going to make, what, $10+ million a year? It's not exactly like he said, "Hey, you know what. Gimme the league minimum. I want this team to win!" Both are true Nets and to say otherwise just shows an extreme lack of judgement.

#23 ·
furnace said:

RJ did not take a pay cut. During the Steven A. Smith interview he basically said if he was going to stay in NJ with a losing team he might as well get paid.

#24 ·
jmk said:
Jason chose, what, $115 million over $105 million? I think you're searching for something that isn't there. Kidd has been extremely loyal to this team and to say that he is not a true Net is disgusting. Richard is going to make, what, $10+ million a year? It's not exactly like he said, "Hey, you know what. Gimme the league minimum. I want this team to win!" Both are true Nets and to say otherwise just shows an extreme lack of judgement.
Yes, and Texas has no income tax, so it would be the same, maybe even better in San Antonio, money-wise. That, and getting an opportunity to play with Duncan and under Poppovich.

#25 ·
Good thoughts from RJ, he's echoing every Nets fans' thoughts there. I hope the media pays attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.