Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Occasionally I like to play GM and put out some ideas. Some are realistic, some are not. All of these ideas are on trade checker. Some trades would have to be done now, some later when we know our draft position

First off, we are the worst team in basketball. I am operating under the assumption that we will be in a position to take Okafor. Which means we are picking #1 or #2

Second off, I operate under the premise that we have a couple of monster weaknesses. First off, we dont have anyone who can get their own shot and finish at the rim. Jamal had a great dunk yesterday. That happens about 2 times a year. Kirk gets lucky with crazy off balance shots, but he cant finish there either. If erob could dribble, he might be able to finish, but he cant. I also think the Bulls cant knock down long shots. THey dont have good floor spacing, The next weakness is on the glass and defensively. While we have big bodies, we cant stop people on the perimeter or posting. Teams drive the lane against us with no problem. And lastly, this team has no balance. We have 5 PFs on the roster but barely 1 SF/SG

All of these trades work on trade checker

First trade, has to be done now

Fizer for Jaric and Ely. The clips want the space. otherwise it makes no sense fo them. Jaric gives us a combo guard who I think hasnt seen his best days yet. He is an aggressive player with nice size. Ely gives us a legit backup 5.

JYD for Alvin Williams. lets face it, JYD was never who we should have asked for in that deal. They wanted to give us Alvin Williams. Now with Jalen running the point, they are in serious lack of rebounding and size up front. We gamble on Awills knee. We need a backup guard right now. Awill can do that. Both have 4 years left, no cap relief for either. but toronto loves JYD. Great, they can have him back. Do that now

Trade for this summer

Lets see how desperate Thomas wants to get rid of KVH? Lets offer Antonio Davis for him. I think KVH has more years but a straight up deal might work. Thomas is desperate to get rid of him. And he needs another big body up front cause Mutombo is 55 years old. Plus the Knicks figure they are getting a legit 3 with their MLE

Here is the trade that I expect most of you too hate, I dont care. its a good deal.

Kirk, Chandler, Erob for Francis and Nachbar. Houston gets the pass first "point guard" they want in Kirk who Ds up good. chandler and Yao up front is scary. And Erob could fit in the most open court western conference. We get a legit allstar guard who can get his own shot and finish AT THE RIM, PLUS GET TO THE LINE. Francis wanted to be a Bull desperately a couple of years back, now lets give him the chance. nachbar has been a bust, but something tells me a change of scenery might allow him to become a Turk level player

Next trade done right after that. Jamal and Brunson for Dunleavy and their second round pick. This deal gets us a 3 who can handle ball, shoot the 3 consistently and has good size and shot selection. i dont see a JC and Francis backcourt working so we get ourselves set at the 3 for the next decade. GS desperately wants a yound PG. Particularly if they deal NVE at the deadline, which they claim is 60% certain

Now with the draft and FA.

Draft Okafor. This guy is a legit building block. He defends well. he clogs up the lane. He hits the boards like few people. And his offense is emerging. I see star

Draft Anderson Varajao in round 2. If this guy is there, its a miracle. But he is 6-11 version of Chandler minus the intensity but with the jump shot. Nice project to have in here. Plus I can already see UC Anderson Varajao wig night. That will be a big seller

FA- Nothing serious would need to be done. Get a veteran backup guard. And then give some of the MLE to Arvydas Macijauskas. How this guy went undrafted is beyond me. He is 6-5 and one of the best shooters in the world. He handles well. he finishes at the bucket well. he makes the extra pass. He hustles and defends pretty good. He is a nice pickup

Now here is the roster

Okafor
Dunleavy
Curry
Francis
Jaric

The bench is
KVH
Ely
Macijauskas
Awill
Blount
Nachbar
Varajao

The IR
Pippen (if he is still here)
Austin
Dupree

I still build this team with Curry there. I just dont think he is easily replacable and I am willing to give him another year. With Okafor, Dunleavy, Francis and Jaric, Ely and KVH we give him help on the boards. Defensively this team isnt going to be super. But Okafor alone makes us a better defensively. Francis isnt a stopper but gets a fair amount of steals with pressure. Our cap situation takes a bit of a hit (KVH I believe adds 2 more years to our cap problems, I might be wrong) but thats the price you pay. You have a couple of young players, Okafor, Dunleavy and Curry to build around and you surround them with Vets.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Long post can't say I agree with everything but good effort nonetheless. I liked the Fizer for Jaric/Ely and the JYD for Alvin Williams. Then you lost me. Drafting Okafor I was happy with. Then I say trade JC/Erob/Chandler/Jeffries for Lewis/Potapenko/Frahm/2004 1st rd pick(Iggy?)

Hinrich,Jaric
Williams,Iguodala,Frahm
Lewis,Dupree
Okafor,Davis
Curry,Ely,Potapenko

Oh I forgot about the MLE, that can be used on a vet SG ala Voshon Lenard.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Rlucas, good creativity and committment. Clearly, being as bad as we are, a lot of things have to change for us to get better, even if those changes occur without trades.

The one thing that could not happen on your list is to get Dunleavy for Crawford. Among the reasons that the Warriors want to trade Nick at Night is that Speedy has stepped up and played really good ball during NVE's injury absense. I think Dunleavy is there to stay and that Jrich or Pietrus is more likely to be obtainable.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Arvydas Macijauskas is stud!

Did you see him in the Eurobasket of Sweden???

He shot lights out and is a very strong SG.

Will he enter this year's draft???

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by <b>unBULLievable</b>!
Arvydas Macijauskas is stud!

Did you see him in the Eurobasket of Sweden???

He shot lights out and is a very strong SG.

Will he enter this year's draft???
He was eligible to be in last years draft and went undrafted. He is a FA. He is really a top level player. Its a travesty he didnt get drafted. If he did last year what he is doing this year, hed be a lottery pick. ANd we need a player like him. He just keeps coming at you, can play multiple spots and that shot is just as good as it gets

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!

First trade, has to be done now

Fizer for Jaric and Ely. The clips want the space. otherwise it makes no sense fo them. Jaric gives us a combo guard who I think hasnt seen his best days yet. He is an aggressive player with nice size. Ely gives us a legit backup 5.
Thats not realistic. Another case of we trade our scrubs (or scrub, I like Fizer but he isnt even playing) for Jaric who is playing great ball. And Ely has the tools to be a very good big man off the bench and he has a great contract. Fizer is gone after this season and the capspace they gain isnt great. They could get a better deal for Jaric and Ely.

JYD for Alvin Williams. lets face it, JYD was never who we should have asked for in that deal. They wanted to give us Alvin Williams. Now with Jalen running the point, they are in serious lack of rebounding and size up front. We gamble on Awills knee. We need a backup guard right now. Awill can do that. Both have 4 years left, no cap relief for either. but toronto loves JYD. Great, they can have him back. Do that now
JYD is a solid player, a great bench player and Alvin Williams is less than that. Thy have similar contracts so we dont need Alvin, and you can play JYD at SF or PF at times. I can see JYD barking here as he wants to go back to Toronto.

Trade for this summer

Lets see how desperate Thomas wants to get rid of KVH? Lets offer Antonio Davis for him. I think KVH has more years but a straight up deal might work. Thomas is desperate to get rid of him. And he needs another big body up front cause Mutombo is 55 years old. Plus the Knicks figure they are getting a legit 3 with their MLE
Their deals are similar but KVH is the better player, hands down. AD is good for 20 minutes every night, he can barely stay on the floor. I cant see the Knicks doing this trade.

Kirk, Chandler, Erob for Francis and Nachbar. Houston gets the pass first "point guard" they want in Kirk who Ds up good. chandler and Yao up front is scary. And Erob could fit in the most open court western conference. We get a legit allstar guard who can get his own shot and finish AT THE RIM, PLUS GET TO THE LINE. Francis wanted to be a Bull desperately a couple of years back, now lets give him the chance. nachbar has been a bust, but something tells me a change of scenery might allow him to become a Turk level player
I like it to certain extent, but Francis doesnt want to play here. He already took many cheap shots at Chicago after the Draft, so let him stay in Houston.

Next trade done right after that. Jamal and Brunson for Dunleavy and their second round pick. This deal gets us a 3 who can handle ball, shoot the 3 consistently and has good size and shot selection. i dont see a JC and Francis backcourt working so we get ourselves set at the 3 for the next decade. GS desperately wants a yound PG. Particularly if they deal NVE at the deadline, which they claim is 60% certain
Jamal is a RFA this summer and Pax wont keep him. He isnt a fan of Crawford. And GS is happy with Dunleavy and he has 2 more years on his Rookie deal. I doubt the Warriors would trade Dunleavy for Crawford, and Brunson is crap. But again, if the Warriors like Crawford they would go after him during this offseason. And Crawford is a 2 more than a 1, so it makes no sense for them with J-Rich and Pietrus.

Now with the draft and FA.

Draft Okafor. This guy is a legit building block. He defends well. he clogs up the lane. He hits the boards like few people. And his offense is emerging. I see star

Draft Anderson Varajao in round 2. If this guy is there, its a miracle. But he is 6-11 version of Chandler minus the intensity but with the jump shot. Nice project to have in here. Plus I can already see UC Anderson Varajao wig night. That will be a big seller
Okafor is OK. Varejao wont be there in round 2. Again, they know this guy more for his hair style than game, he is going to be a solid player in the league, though.

FA- Nothing serious would need to be done. Get a veteran backup guard. And then give some of the MLE to Arvydas Macijauskas. How this guy went undrafted is beyond me. He is 6-5 and one of the best shooters in the world. He handles well. he finishes at the bucket well. he makes the extra pass. He hustles and defends pretty good. He is a nice pickup
I agree, nothing spectacular but a nice signing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
rlucas my friend i am glad you are not the bulls gm. im also sad that paxson is but thats another post.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by <b>Jim Stack</b>!
rlucas my friend i am glad you are not the bulls gm. im also sad that paxson is but thats another post.
:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
ok simaler plan different results we trade curry or chandler for a stuf sf and keep the other draft okafur and move on .

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
only trade that would help the bulls noticeably (assuming we are getting emaka this summer) is the kirk+chandler+erob for francis. its also the one thats most likely to go down (maybe not now but next yaer or in the summer) kirk gives houston a JVG type of PG while chandler+yao will be a graet front line. chandler will provide the rebouiding/block shots, hes basically a better version of cato now. and hes young with unlimited potential. i think houston will make the deal or at least seriously consider it if weoffer them kikr+chandler for francis. i agree again with rcluas that we cant give up curry just yet, i have been saying it along that curry is going to be a dominant player ni this league. and i m willing to give curry at least 2 more years.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sith</b>!
only trade that would help the bulls noticeably (assuming we are getting emaka this summer) is the kirk+chandler+erob for francis.
If Chandler back is not chronic, Pax would never do that deal and Houston would do it in a heartbeat.

If Chandler's back is chronic, it ain't gonna get done.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hmmm. If all this actually were to happen, I don't think I'd be too upset. One thing's for sure, we'd be a hell of a lot better than we are now in every aspect. A + for originality, Rlucas.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
imo, we need to stop making some little trades that have almost no IMPACTS on how many games we win, if we were to do a trade before deadline, lets be a blockbuster one!! anyone is tradeable maybe with the exception of curry. chandler is easily replaceable now since we are in an excellent position to take emake this summer who palys same type of b-ball as chandler. and only trade kirk if we are getting someone like francis in return.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by <b>Bullwhip</b>!
Hmmm. If all this actually were to happen, I don't think I'd be too upset. One thing's for sure, we'd be a hell of a lot better than we are now in every aspect. A + for originality, Rlucas.
thank you bullwhip

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
rlucas

While I respect your "ideas", if it were <i>that</i> easy, then anybody could be GM. It's easier said than done.

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
Eh I don't know about trading Chandler. Although I love the idea of getting Francis...maybe we could give them our draft pick especially if we're not in position to get Emeka. Francis worries me as one of those good players that will never lead his team to a championship though. But I like the thinking...

·
Registered
199 Posts
That was an interesting read. Good post but I can't say I agree with all of it. I liked the KVH trade and the Fizer trade. But I'm not up for any trade that brings Francis here. I think I was in the minority in not wanting to draft him and I was happy to get Brand instead. To trade Chandler,one of my favorite players, for him would be upsetting. If we did that I would guarantee Chandler would be the next ex-Bull to become an All-star.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts