Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all the Frank Williams fans who were wondering what has happened...

"Contrary to counterfeit reports, the Knicks did not use Frank Williams and Othella Harrington to proposition the Cavaliers for Darius Miles; it was the other way around. Williams is not available in a trade unless it's one of maximum magnitude in which the Knicks would get Rashweed, Tracy McGrady or Kobe Bryant - you catch the drift. Naturally, Miles intrigues the Knicks, but not at the expense of Williams, ultimately the third guard in a three-man, interchangeable rotation; shades of Thomas, Joe Dumars and Vinnie Johnson.) "

Even better..he may be BACK..Yes Thomas is supposedly interested in bringing Camby back..Ild love him back here....
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/44663.htm

And last but not least,my trade of the day..I assume the Clips are looking for a decent point guard...How about Sweetney and Frankie for Wilcox and filler????

Any opinions???Miles??Camby?? Wilcox??

I dont want rasheed...

·
Registered
78 Posts
after sitting behind the houston basket in the first half of last nights game.... i really think we need some type of intimidator.... i dunno if this was mentioned before but i dunt mind sending kvh and kt for rasheed and yes the sleeper DALE DAVIS.... we got anally raped in the paint last night...... franchise was coming in and out the paint untouched as if it were a drive through...... any thoughts? KVH is a shooter thats all he will ever be ....

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
For all of Rasheed Wallace's hype, he honestly isn't much better than Keith Van Horn.

I don't see much point to swapping Sweetney for Wilcox either. Nor do I see why the Clippers would do it either. Williams isn't any better than Jaric or Dooling, and they already have Elton Brand, so why would they want the unathletic version?

I'd be interested in bringing Camby back, as long as he isn't in the starting lineup. And if he is in the starting lineup, I don't want him playing 30 or more minutes per game. I'd rather have him starting at PF than Kurt Thomas though. Problem is getting it to contractually work. Would the Nuggets take Thomas and Doleac for Camby?

But then, that also means the Knicks are further thinning their bench. What happens when Camby's brittle body goes down like it usually does? Then that leaves us with Mutombo, Sweetney, Harrington, and Trybanski at PF and C. Of course, you could swing KVH to PF, and put Anderson/Penny at SF, but that further thins the bench.

The Knicks are making (or planning) too many 2 for 1 deals. We don't have draft picks, and we can't add anybody through free agency. Who here really wants to depend on 10 day contract guys? If one of the players we acquire goes down, it cripples the bench, and ultimately, any hope at the playoffs.

Thomas took a big risk in making this years pick unprotected. I wonder how highly Knick fans would think of him if they missed the playoffs and this years pick ironically ended up being the 1st pick in the draft?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This team is in DIRE straits....I was in favor of a Rahim trade because it fits the Knicks style,and we would not have had to sell the future....

This team is in shambles now..marbury is a stud,but he needs a marion,an athlete to run with...Its not houston,certainly aint thomas..In fact,ironically KVH is the closest they have...

With that said,desperate times,takes desperate measures...You will have to thake chances you ordinairily wouldnt...Ild take camby in a heartbeat,and certainly do a 2 for 1...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rashidi</b>!
For all of Rasheed Wallace's hype, he honestly isn't much better than Keith Van Horn.
I'm not even going to look at the stat lines between the 2 players mentioned above. The one thing above all else that Rasheed has over Van Horn, is that Rasheed is a much better post player than Van Horn. Whereas Van Horn can post, he has a tendency to drift to the 3 point line. The post game makes the game easier for everyone, especially on a nite when everyone's jumpshot is off. When you shoot from the outside everything is fine, but when the shot isn't falling you have to find another way to score. Van Horn was another person throwing up bricks Thur. nite instead of trying to see if he could score in the paint. We ALL love 6'10" who can hit the 3 ball, but do you mind getting dirty once in awhile? Mind you, if I could keep Van Horn and still get Rasheed I'd be estactic, but I don't know think Isiah wants to give up K. Thomas which is who Portland wants.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tapseer

Very good points ...I have said it 1 million times,stats tell very little.In fact they can be manipulated any way you like...Its totally irrelavant that KVH may have better stats than Rasheed..Ons is a post up player and one isnt..plain and simple.We desperately need a post player who commands the double and can play with his back to the basket....

The problem with many is that they completely miss the big picture..It may very well be true that Rasheed is not that much better than KVH...But we arent talking about a one on one game in the schoolyard..The question is which player is better for the Knicks..And as long as you can "see",rasheed is the type of player the knicks desperatly need..

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well, maybe with all the speculation going on in the media and forums will put pressure on Portland to make a deal. I The main stumbling block to the deal I think is that Portland wants Kurt, instead of Van Horn. I'd give them Kurt. I like a line of Van Horn, Mutumbo, and Rasheed, as opposed to one with Kurt and Rasheed. We do need a inside post guy, no question...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Tapseer</b>!
I like a line of Van Horn, Mutumbo, and Rasheed, as opposed to one with Kurt and Rasheed. We do need a inside post guy, no question...
Offensively, sure.

Motumbo can't play extended minutes every night. We'd end up with a lineup of Doleac, VH & Wallace much of the time.

Soft.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Originally posted by <b>son of oakley</b>!

Offensively, sure.

Motumbo can't play extended minutes every night. We'd end up with a lineup of Doleac, VH & Wallace much of the time.

Soft.
Who cares about Mutumbo's minutes? You need a post player, the team is actively trying to get Rasheed, so it's all about who we're giving up either Van Horn or Kurt, and your middle is soft anyway, so what's the difference? Actually on some nights, Mutumbo have been playing better than anyone expected. His problem most times is a matchup problem with the other teams 5. Anyway, I don't see where the frontcourt is so tough now...

·
Registered
981 Posts
Wallace a great post guy......you guys have not been watching him much haver you? He has fallen in love with the long "j". I agree about the stats but KVH gets some tough boards in traffic which is something not many guys are doing. Sure Van Horn has been getting 3's(and at a great%), but he has been driving, kicking out and posting up....he is having a very good year considering he isn't getting much help right now. On top of that, he has better ups than Wallace. VanHorn has like a 38" vertical, which Wallace does not. Finally, Wallace is a nightmare to play with and coach while Keith's biggest problem is his tendancy to be too laid back at times(read soft) but it has not been an issue this year. As far as the trade goes, I have never been a Marbury fan but maybe it will work here. Giving up the unprotected pick was an insane move. If Marbury gets hurt or we don't gel soon enough, we could end up with the #1. If the Suns draft Howard because of this trade, I will slash my wrists.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Part of my concern is we're not getting sheed for KT straight up, so how much more do we have to give up for him? Salaries don't match, he's the fourth highest paid player in the league.

(As an aside, Dekembe is 3rd, and Houston 5th. We'd have the 3-5 highest paid layers in the league and still not be serious contenders. But it's Dolan's money, not mine, so I don't care.)

He is a better fit for this team, but he's not mad great (I'm not sure he plays as hard as he used to), he's not a strong defender, and he's got a head to contend with. Whether he makes the team better or not though depends on the whole trade package.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oak,if we dont pull off this trade,i think we are royally screwed..and mind you,i am not a rasheed fan...But the mix of KT,KVH,Houston and Deke is WRONG for Stef

Deke is fine in the middle..rebound,and block shots....

Kt is not an athletic power foward..hes a grinder and works in the Van Gundy system...Thats not Isiahs style...

maye isiah sees the knicks as becoming the bad boys part 2
lets look at the old Piston teams

Point Isiah .....awesome point guard
2 guard Dumars...great complement to Isiah..tuff D,great stroke
SF Aguire..great hands,great post player
Center Lambier..Sweet jumper good hands
PF Rodman..great D great rebounder,great athlete

In marbury we have isiahs equivalant...Houston/Williams is a nice combo......Deke Doleac is servicable.....Where we lack is the frint court..Kt can not run and is not a pogo stick like rodman..and KVH is certainly not a great post player that commands the double

The only trade that works is KT and KVH for Wallace..Its a desperation move,but if we dont have a better mix this will go down as one of the 3 dumbest Knick moves ever

Personally,Wilcox is the guy ild like but hes impossible to get

·
Registered
13 Posts
I might not even give KVH for Rasheed. I would die if we got Rasheed. He's just a little better than KVH, but he has terrible character, he's a big problem in the locker room with teammates + coaches, he's always getting in to trouble........... no, thank you. I don't think I'd watch the Knicks much anymore if they got Rasheed. It would be so dumb. What would be our lineup, Marbury, Houston, Shandon, Rasheed, Mutombo? I'd take Marbury, Houston KVH, Kurt, and mutombo over that anyday.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You make good sense truth, as always. And I'm not against a deal for Rasheed, I've just come down from my initial absolute desire for it, and am mostly just thinking out loud.

Giving up two forwards for one is severe, especially for Rasheed's emotional unpredictability. And his contract expires this year. I'm not sure if that's good or not. I certainly don't want to resign him anywhere near what he's making now, nor do we want to trade so much only to have it walk at the end of the year. It's not like it gets us under the cap, or anywhere close.

What I like about KT is he's a stop gap. When the offense sags he's there, when the defense lapses he's there. He's our best all round defender, and a good rebounder, and we are no longer a good defensive or rebounding team. Remeber, running starts with defensive stops and rebounds.

Part of what made the bad boys so good was defense. They were good offensively and defensively. That team started the defense-first trend that Riley, Fratello, and Van Gundy followed. Without KT where is your defensive integrity? Of all our guys who could mesh with the bad boys, Marbury, Houston and Thomas may be it. Without good D this Knick team will be the cartoon version of the bad boys.

Plus they had depth. Dumars could also play the point, their 6th man was Vinny "the microwave", who could fill the bucket in seconds, and Salley who could play center or PF. They were all mobile, fleet of foot, and basketball smart.

If we dump KT and VH what is our front court? Deke, Rasheed, Harrington? Is that an improvement? That's no run and gun squad either.

We do need to make a move but perhaps not this week. The deadline is still a month away. I'd prefer to see what this squad can do when it gets it's orientation (*) and look at coaches, before making hasty moves.

* I still think this team is an emotional mess right now. The team never had great chemistry or a unifying leader, but Ward was something of the defacto leader, particularly of Houston and Thomes, who are still part of our core. Marbury is obviously a bit of a mess at the moment too, and he affects VH. Some are still pissed at Van Gundy, and Sprewell, who's come up twice right in Isiah's busy three weeks, probably brings up mixed emotions. Plus, the coach's head is on the block, and nobody feels safe right now - if Marbury could be traded so could Houston or anybody - and they all may fear the disruption of a "problem" like Rasheed. LOT'S going on.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should have elaborated....My reference to the bad boys was if we got sheed..that definetly would not be a run and gun squad,but we would have a player with a post up game who would command a double and open up the inside outside game..thats why i wonder out loud if sweetney has any value as a back to the basket post up player..i havent seen him play enough and refuse to judge a guy off his georgetown stats...I have to see a player to evaluate him

I just hate the frontcourt of KVH and KT...Depending on what Penny has left,I would almost consider starting him at the 3 and sliding KVH to the 4

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'm not even going to look at the stat lines between the 2 players mentioned above.
It's a good thing you didn't.

Keith Van Horn
17.0 ppg
7.4 rpg (2.2 off)
1.7 apg
1.0 spg
0.3 bpg
2.9 tpg
.443 FG%
.320 3pt% (33-103)
.827 ft%
34.1 mpg

It should be noted that KVH is no longer averaging 3.5 tpg, and he no longer has a .380 fg%. He's clearly past his injuries, and is more effective when he doesn't have to create his own shot every possession.

Rasheed Wallace
16.8 ppg
6.6 rpg (1.6 off)
2.7 apg
0.7 spg
1.5 bpg
.430 fg%
.308 3pt% (41-133)
.726 ft%
38.5 mpg

You know, it's funny. If Van Horn drifts to the 3 point line so much, how come Wallace is shooting more 3's? He's also scoring less and grabbing fewer rebounds despite getting more minutes.

Wallace doesn't shoot 50% from the field like he did earlier in his career. Why? Because he's a jumpshooter now that strays to the 3pt line, just like Keith Van Horn. It's absolutely no coincidence that this has been Wallace's stat line the past few years.

00-01
.501 fg%
.321 3pt% (52-162)

01-02
.459 fg%
.360 3pt% (114-317)

02-03
.471 fg%
.358 3pt% (110-307)

Notice a trend here? Wallace isn't the post monster that he was earlier in his career.

So far Wallace has taken 5 or more 3pters in 15 games this season.
KVH has accomplished that only 10 times.

You know what else is the biggest indicator that Wallace is just as much of a perimeter player as Van Horn?

He takes fewer FT attempts.

If you actually watched Van Horn, you'd know that a lot of his points DO come from the inside. He is always grabbing offensive rebounds and putting it back in, it's his most consistent form of offense. Did I mention that Wallace has never averaged more than 8.2 rebounds in a season? For such a good post guy, he sure is an awfully weak rebounder.

Hold on a second... ah, 1st quarter, 4:30 in the game, KVH runs the floor, Marbury hits him for a breakaway layup. Ah...

Well, back to the topic.

Do we even NEED to mention Wallace's technicals and ejections? Those don't show up in stat lines either, but they certainly are a part of his game.

Or how about the fact that he can LEAVE the team via free agency if the writers badmouth him too much for his liking?

Mind you, if I could keep Van Horn and still get Rasheed I'd be estactic, but I don't know think Isiah wants to give up K. Thomas which is who Portland wants.
They can't keep Van Horn and still get Rasheed. Wallace makes 17 million. They need KVH's 13 million, because they don't have anybody else they can offer that makes close to that. Portland isn't going to take Houston's contract, even if he would fit in well with the team. Not that I would want to trade Houston for Wallace anyway...

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
to the point

Nice research rashidi....Your research and stats are obviously limited to basketball activities and dont account for anythin else..So we are talking purely basketball...

With that said,Do you believe for one second that if rasheed wallace wasnt a complete headcase Portland would consider trading him for KVH????

There is one reason Rasheed Wallace is being shopped..Hes a time bomb..Thats it..There isnt one NBA GM who would take KVH over Rasheed based on basketball....You think Thorn would consider trading KMART for KVH????

You see,by manipulating statistics you can present a very strong case for KVH..But even you know that without Rasheeds extracirricular nonsense NOBODY would be talking about KVH for Wallace...

You may be the ONLY person who is convinced KVH is actually a better ballplayer than rasheed..

KVH only gets you an undesirable player with history..or a verrry expensive elderly center

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the Knicks were willing to take headcase #1 Wallace and headcase #2 Patterson,maybe a Van Horn,Doleac,Anderson trade is possible...

Dallas should trade Shimmy Walker and filler for Rasheed

·
Registered
421 Posts
Again, you can't trade a player to a team that doesn't want that player. For all the stats that I've seen above, Portland didn't want Van Horn. As much as you try to sell us on Van Horn, you should have sent that to Portland's management and maybe you could have convinced them to accept that trade Isiah first presented. They didn't want your man Van Horn, they wanted Kurt Thomas. In essence, what I said was if IT could have found a way to get Rasheed over here and we still keep Van Horn I'd live with that. I'd rather have Rasheed and Van Horn, than Rasheed and Kurt. Anyway all this speculation is about to be moot in a minute any second now. I think the way the team is now is the team we'll be finishing with. Let's hope for the best, and hope that Marbury can make his teamates better as so many people say he hasn't or can't make his teamates better...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts