Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Jazz/Rockets are top 10 denfensive teams?

• Yes, both of them

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, neither of them

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Yes to Rockets, JVG means defense

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Yes to Jazz, Sloan means defense

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Predict for the next season only based on the opponent field goal %.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
it is funny, isn't it?

if you think about coaches, yes.

if you think about players, no.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
Jazz have some solid defensive players. Rockets are mediocre. I can see either or both of these teams being top10 defense because you don't really have to have a good defensive team to be in the top10, so many teams don't care about defense at all. Jazz have AK and Boozer and a great coach, so I think they'll make it in the top 10.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Well, its not like the Rockets had great defenders last year when they were top 3 in the league. McGrady has the potential to be a better defensive player than either Francis or Mobley and Mutombo can replace Cato.
The Jazz still have Kirilenko, one of the top in the league, but they lost Ostertag and Boozer and Okur are not known for defense. Harpring is a pretty good defender and he should be healthy this year. The Jazz are never that great at FG% defense, they just always shoot a very high FG% themselves.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ballscientist</b>!
Predict for the next season only based on the opponent field goal %.
I looked up their ranking in opp FG% for last season...

Rockets: #2
Jazz: #11

I'm not sure if the Jazz improved on defense. Boozer and Okur will improve their defensive rebounding, but they were already very good in that area (#1 in the NBA in rebounding diff). Plus, neither guy is a good man-to-man defender or help defender. They were #11 last season, but they have a great coach and AK47 so I see them sneaking into the top 10.

Rockets also lost a bit of defense. Replacing Francis, Mobley and Cato with McGrady, Lue and Juwan Howard and it's not going to help. Still, I think they will be somewhere in the top ten. With JVG coaching and Yao, possibly Mutombo in the middle, they will still be pretty good.

Note: Opponent FG% shouldn't be the only measure of defense, it must have some flaws. I don't think Toronto (#7) and Chicago (#12) were good defense teams at all last season, but both rank pretty high in this area.

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
I think losing O-tag is going to hurt the Jazz more than most Utah fans would like to admit. I just don't see them being a top 10 defensive team with Boozer and Okur up front, though almost everyone else in their rotation is at least "good" defensively.

Houston should be right in the vicinity, though with the loss of Cato I don't see them being the top 3 defensive team they were last year.

Detroit and San Antonio are the clear-cut #1 and #2 defensive teams, and after that there are a jumble of teams in the same ballpark, though I think Utah is right outside that jumble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts