Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
1.7%
7,363 Posts
Re: Rockets pursuing Asik?

Work a sign and trade with them for Kevin Martin. They're rumored to wanting to amnesty him anyways to open up more space.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts

Work a sign and trade with them for Kevin Martin. They're rumored to wanting to amnesty him anyways to open up more space.
That would be difficult to make salaries match as I think Omer can only make ~$5ish million his first two years. It would have been virtually impossible under the old CBA, and not fluent enough with the new one to know if rules got more lax. Turning Asik + Rip lets say into Kevin Martin would be a great move if there is some way to make it work.

Sign a starting PG with our MMLE (Kidd, Billups, ?) and then add a vet minimum big man and maybe an undrafted rookie to round out the frontcourt.

Kidd / Teague / Partial guaranteed contract (Rose)
Martin / Korver / Butler
Deng / Korver / Butler
Boozer / Taj
Noah / FA / Rookie

That would certainly be interesting especially if Rose can return in January or Febuary, and allows us all the flexibility in the world next offseason to sign or trade Taj, Korver, and K Mart.

·
1.7%
7,363 Posts

That would be difficult to make salaries match as I think Omer can only make ~$5ish million his first two years. It would have been virtually impossible under the old CBA, and not fluent enough with the new one to know if rules got more lax. Turning Asik + Rip lets say into Kevin Martin would be a great move if there is some way to make it work.

Sign a starting PG with our MMLE (Kidd, Billups, ?) and then add a vet minimum big man and maybe an undrafted rookie to round out the frontcourt.

Kidd / Teague / Partial guaranteed contract (Rose)
Martin / Korver / Butler
Deng / Korver / Butler
Boozer / Taj
Noah / FA / Rookie

That would certainly be interesting especially if Rose can return in January or Febuary, and allows us all the flexibility in the world next offseason to sign or trade Taj, Korver, and K Mart.
Asik+Korver for Martin

PG-(MMLE)/Teague/Lucas?
SG-Martin/Hamilton/Butler
SF-Deng/Butler/Hamilton
PF-Boozer/Gibson/Scal
C- Noah/Gibson/minimum

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts

Asik+Korver for Martin

PG-(MMLE)/Teague/Lucas?
SG-Martin/Hamilton/Butler
SF-Deng/Butler/Hamilton
PF-Boozer/Gibson/Scal
C- Noah/Gibson/minimum
Under the old CBA, whatever player you were signing and trading's salary would be halved, making it very difficult to trade big contracts unless you got multiple players involved to make the percentages work. Asik can be signed by another team to $5M in year 1. If that's halved, $2.5 million. We would have to add ~$7.5M in salary I think by memory.

If willing to pay the tax, we could do something like Asik + Brewer + 1 of Korver/Hamilton. However, we are going to have trouble fielding 12 players and we don't know how much LT JR is willing to pay this season.

·
Remember My Name
5,229 Posts

blazer, wolves and rockets interested in omer.

would it be possible to swing a s&t with portland for wes matthews?

i like omer for 5mio but 8 is to much for a backup c. the bulls have no flexibility already.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts

come on now.

KC Johnson:
Hearing Rockets prepared to offer Omer Asik in the $8 million range annually.
lol. morey would be putting his career on the line with something like that.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts

Holy cow.

Do we intend to match that? I know it's a lot of money for the final year, but it's only one year and he's our best interior defender.
But they have some other contracts hitting big money then. Namely Noah's.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts

well... that's too bad. I really like Asik as a defensive center, but I don't really see how we can match that if it really is 15 million in that last year.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts

KC Johnson:
Hearing Rockets prepared to offer Omer Asik in the $8 million range annually.
It's all over twitter that Omer signed a 3-year 25.1 million dollar offer sheet. Hollinger states his max deal for three years can only be structured:

12-13: $5.0M
13-14: $5.2M
14-15: $14.1M

Total = $24.3M

Don't think the Bulls should match that one. We'd be pushing the tax without signing Taj next season and only 7 guys under contract. The year after, we wouldn't be able to go after a max level guy even if we don't re-sign Luol and amnesty Boozer, basically forcing us to re-sing Luol, which then screws up when Boozer's contract was up. Re-signing Asik kills our future flexibility, and given a choice between keeping Taj or Asik, I think Taj is the right answer.

Too bad, as I wanted to trade Asik last year for another player or a pick.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts

Do you match under the premise that you have a couple of years to move him before that big number kicks in?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

Bye bye Omer.

15 million for a defensive center with horrible hands? Let Houston give out one of the worst contracts in history, don't match it.

Things keep getting better for our bulls, lost or will horribly over pay our back up big , draft a backup instead of making a splash and we still have not commited long term to one of the best coaches in all of basketball.

Gotta love the bulls front office.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

Bye bye Omer.

15 million for a defensive center with horrible hands? Let Houston give out one of the worst contracts in history, don't match it.

Things keep getting better for our bulls, lost or will horribly over pay our back up big , draft a backup instead of making a splash and we still have not commited long term to one of the best coaches in all of basketball.

Gotta love the bulls front office.
Its not 15 mil a year. If there's one thing that drives me nuts its people who skew shit to try to prove their point.

·
Ugliest SupMember
1,704 Posts

Can't believe that I am saying this but DON'T MATCH IT. $15M for a back up and offensively challenged center. Spend that money on physical therapy for Noah and Boozer.

·
1.7%
7,363 Posts

I actually would match it. He's on reasonable salary for 2 years and then ugly for 1 year, but that one ugly year he's an expiring and can be used as a huge trade asset.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts