Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Royce White — the Rockets first-round draft pick who has been battling an anxiety disorder — has been away from the team for several days now, reports the Houston Chronicle.

No reason for the absence has been given.
Read More

@daldridgetnt
In statement, @Highway_30 says Rockets have been "inconsistent" w/agreement "to proactively create a healthy and successful relationship."

White says Rockets "are aware of my position and the reason for my absence, any other response is inaccurate."

White says lack of support will make him unhealthy, "and that is not a consequence that I am willing to accept to play any sport."
What a bitch

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Royce White @Highway_30
I'm most defiantly not AWOL... There are many things here ppl don't know, #Honesty is what I'm sticking with. @HoustonRockets "Luke 12:3"

Problem goes back WAY before D-League assignment. This about #Consideration and #Health it isn't about Rebounds & Money.

My "anxiety" hasn't caused inconsistency in my participation with the team from training camp until 72hrs ago, ✈ to DET, ✈s Isn't the issue.

I'm most definitely* not AWOL... There are many things here ppl don't know, #Honesty is what I'm sticking with. @HoustonRockets "Luke 12:3"

It's sad to think ppl ACTUALLY think ? should be higher on my priority list then health..you can't enjoy success OR money without health.

I'd waste my "Talent", to stand up for myself and what's right, regarding my health 10x's out 10. #Logical Player "Commodity" league.

"your a COMMODITY" and "we'll support your health needs even if its inconvenient..." just don't go. My health can't afford such an ideal.

While #anxiety is the issue, the main piece of that isn't AIRPLANES, it's asking for support 4 my disorder thats consistent and fair.

Again My "Anxiety" is not well but not BAD, my main WORRY is being treated as a digit instead of a HUMAN, in the case of my health.

“@ThaHECKler_: @Highway_30 dude shut up & play ball, nothin is wrong with u” LAST THING ill say is, comments like ?ONLY prove a disconnect.
:boohoo:

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
They should be able to drop this piece of shit without paying him anything.

Don't declare for the draft if you can't play you loser. It's that simple.

·
Not Just Dumb, Aggie Dumb
18,849 Posts
I'll go against the prevailing sentiment in this thread and say I hope the Rockets support him, he gets help, and works through this. I'd hate to see this end up like Ricky Williams where his mental health concerns get completely ignored by his coaches and team and he is forced to work through it by himself.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I'll go against the prevailing sentiment in this thread and say I hope the Rockets support him, he gets help, and works through this. I'd hate to see this end up like Ricky Williams where his mental health concerns get completely ignored by his coaches and team and he is forced to work through it by himself.
He can't fly. What the **** are they supposed to do?

These stories never end well.

·
2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
26,553 Posts
The weird thing is his beef sounds more to do with the fact he is an asset, rather than a person with needs, wants, issues. And he wants to stick it to the man because of it.

Shouldn't he have known the score when he elected to enter the draft? What does he think pro sports is? He's essentially a poker chip, the sooner he realizes it the better.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
they're not treating him like a digit, they're treating him like 7 digits - I wish someone would treat me like 7 digits - even if I didnt like it I'd put up with it for one or two years and never work again

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
He's trending on Twitter now for the wrong reasons. If you need to take a medical leave of absense, tell the people who are paying you, don't just skip out. They tried to send him to the D-League and he didn't report.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
it's not like he'd be playing if he were with the team anyway, so might as well get him somewhere where he can play some games which honestly would probably help him out. if he didn't want to play basketball, why'd he accept the contract.

the rockets knew what they were getting into when they drafted him, so if they aren't handling their end of things, that's kinda on them. i doubt that's the case though.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
This is like Michael Beasley but I don't see Royce sticking around the league much longer.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lack of playing time one of the issues in Royce White conflict with Rockets

The gulf between the Rockets and rookie Royce White has continued to escalate with no end in sight.

With White blaming the Rockets for failing to consistently support his treatment for anxiety issues, White is being fined every day he remains away from the team or fails to attend sessions with a therapist the Rockets have arranged for him, a person with knowledge of the situation said.

White and Rockets general manager Daryl Morey have declined interview requests.

White began to express his dissatisfaction a week ago, according to the person familiar with talks, initially complaining about a lack of opportunity to earn playing time.

White met extensively with Rockets general manager Daryl Morey, assistant coach J.B. Bickerstaff and assistant strength and conditioning coach Dave Macha last Wednesday, and again with Morey on Thursday.

White has not played in any game this season and has been on the inactive list for the past four games. Morey told White in those meetings that other players had earned playing time before him. White, however, argued that he was not given enough opportunity to demonstrate that he could earn a place in the rotation, increasingly saying the Rockets were holding his anxiety disorder against him and that he was being treated as a commodity, a position he has repeated in Tweets following Tuesday’s reports about White missing practices.

White attended Friday’s morning shootaround and game in Memphis, traveling in a recreational vehicle as part of his agreement with the team to manage the anxiety that comes with his fear of flying.

White, however, did not attend practices on Sunday or Tuesday and skipped Monday’s game against the Heat. Morey had planned to discuss sending White to the Rockets NBA Development League affiliate along with fellow rookies Scott Machado and Donatas Motiejunas, but has not seen him to have that conversation.

The Rockets have made arrangements for White to be treated by Dr. Aaron Fink of the Baylor College of Medicine, but White has not attended those sessions, according to the person with knowledge of the situation.

White indicated via Twitter on Wednesday that he has communicated with Fink, but that he was under the impression that Fink was offering to assist him, but had not considered seeing Fink to be a requirement. He said he had expressed his concerns to Fink, but that the problem is with him and the Rockets and is about “support” rather than anxiety.

On Tuesday, White issued a statement indicating that his openness about his anxiety disorder had led the Rockets to hold his condition against him.

“At this point, the Rockets are aware of my position and the reason for my absence, any other response is inaccurate. This is important to me, it is a health issue. I must advocate for my rights, it is a player-commodity league — the failure to meet my requests for support will end with me being unhealthy and that is not a consequence that I am willing to accept to play any sport.”

Morey had issued only a brief statement.

“Royce is not available right now. We are committed to his long- term success, and we will continue to support him now and going forward.”

NBA contracts allow for players to be treated by doctors of their choosing if approved by the teams, but require that players unable to play or practice because of medical conditions see doctors or therapists assigned by the team.

The Rockets intend to continue to fine White every day he fails to report to practice or attend sessions with Fink, the person familiar with the situation said. White did not attend Wednesday’s shootaround and is not expected at Wednesday’s game. Rockets owner Leslie Alexander on Tuesday said that there were “internal repercussions” for White missing practices and games.

Alexander brought up the possibility that the Rockets might end up having wasted a draft pick on White, the 16th player taken in the draft in June. The Rockets, however, have no plans to trade or release White, the person familiar with their thinking said.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Royce claims there was a miscommunication surrounding whether there was a session w/ the therapist scheduled, he posted a pic of his email to his twitter account which was later deleted, but of course, preserved by several onlookers.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Rumor is now he might quit the NBA altogether.

I sent him a tweet asking if he'd repay the Rockets any money hes got so far. I don't feel bad joining in on the dog pile of twitter hate.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
There's clearly more than "anxiety" going on here.

Like it was said earlier some people just aren't cut out to handle the ancillary elements of the lifestyle despite being athletically gifted or whatever the case may be. But I mean if he walks away he's going to regret it for the rest of his life...seems like a bit of a catch 22.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
There's clearly more than "anxiety" going on here.

Like it was said earlier some people just aren't cut out to handle the ancillary elements of the lifestyle despite being athletically gifted or whatever the case may be. But I mean if he walks away he's going to regret it for the rest of his life...seems like a bit of a catch 22.
If he would just shut his mouth after a few years people will forget he was a high(ish) draft pick and he could carve our a who gives a **** type journeyman role.

I don't feel bad for this guy. If I knew I was mentally ****ed up, I'd hold off a year on the draft and get my shit together. Especially if I was willing to pull a "My mental health is more important than my contract" like Royce is pulling now.

If he doesn't care about the money, he should have got his shit straight first.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts