Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Rockets the dark horse....

745 views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Gambino 
#1 ·
I've been hearing people say that the rockets are the dark horse of the playoffs.
Teams believe rockets are a playoff threat this season.
I wanted to see what you guys have to say on this.

#2 ·
Dark horse to reach the Western Conference Finals, perhaps, if they end up in the Suns' part of the bracket. I can't see them beating the Spurs, who I'd expect to be there. If the Spurs were somehow knocked out earlier, then the Rockets could be dark horse Finals participants.

#3 ·
I think the Rockets are pretender darkhorse.
The true darkhorse is the Dallas Mavericks. Assuming they will have their full roster, particularly Dampier. I see them making a run through the playoffs again.
Remember, a lot of these guys are only a few years removed from going to the WCF. I wouldn't rule out a return trip.

Also don't rule out the Sonics. For a team who has been one of the best all year, no one seems to be believing in them much, even though they have played all the top teams very well.

#4 ·
Minstrel said:
Dark horse to reach the Western Conference Finals, perhaps, if they end up in the Suns' part of the bracket. I can't see them beating the Spurs, who I'd expect to be there. If the Spurs were somehow knocked out earlier, then the Rockets could be dark horse Finals participants.
I disagree. The rockets give the Spurs trouble. But I can see the Suns giving the rockets a lot of trouble.

I think if Houston gets Seattle in the first round, they are done.

#5 ·
futuristxen said:
I think the Rockets are pretender darkhorse.
The true darkhorse is the Dallas Mavericks. Assuming they will have their full roster, particularly Dampier. I see them making a run through the playoffs again.
Remember, a lot of these guys are only a few years removed from going to the WCF. I wouldn't rule out a return trip.
I totally agree about the Mavs being the darkhorse for the playoffs. If they just get healthy they will be a tough out for anyone. Especially if Dampier comes back and plays like he was before he was injured. Leaving Dirk more free to score and create which is scary.

#6 ·
futuristxen said:
I think if Houston gets Seattle in the first round, they are done.
I think it's precisely the opposite. I think the Rockets would eliminate the Sonics. They have the defense to limit the Sonics' shooters and superior inside play.

And I don't expect the Rockets to beat the Suns, if they played, but I think as "dark horses," they could more likely knock off the Suns than the Spurs.

#7 ·
4 teams will have hard time to pass the first round.

Suns - poor defense
Spurs - Duncan and Manu will be in good shape? in 85% condition?
Rockets - inconsistence, T-Mac is hot or ice cold
Mavs - how many starters are in shape?

DarK horse - Nugs

Nugs could knock down anybody.

#8 ·
I guess for now we are considered Darkhorses. I think we're the second best team in the West, and with the Spurs' situation in limbo, we would be the best if Duncan couldn't play again. Like futuristxen said, Dirk and Finley were major cogs for the WCF run just a few years ago, and I think we can at least get back there. I have my doubts about the Suns' lack of defense and interior play, the Sonics' style and youth, and the Rockets offense.

The Rockets are the casual Darkhorses right now, but I don't know if they'll be able to score enough, and how Yao will produce in the playoffs. I think the actual contender list is a short one, but the Rockets can certainly be considered darkhorses, especially with the Duncan injury.

#9 ·
Minstrel said:
i think it's the opposite. i think the rockets can beat the spurs. i'm not so sure about the rockets beating the mavs, suns, or sonics in a series.

i think the rockets would beat the spurs, the mavs beat the rockets, but the spurs beat the mavs. i doubt the rockets make the finals, but i think they will make the western conference finals(unless they play dallas in the 1st).

#11 ·
rocketeer said:
i think it's the opposite. i think the rockets can beat the spurs. i'm not so sure about the rockets beating the mavs, suns, or sonics in a series.

i think the rockets would beat the spurs, the mavs beat the rockets, but the spurs beat the mavs. i doubt the rockets make the finals, but i think they will make the western conference finals(unless they play dallas in the 1st).
I agree, tough first round, Mavs are too much for Rockets.

If Duncan is not 100%, .......... NBA Finals

#12 ·
I see it as this, the Championship contenders are the:

San Antonio Spurs
Phoenix Suns
Miami Heat
Detroit Pistons

The darkhorses are in this order: (I say darkhorse because they aren't considered true contenders or favorites but have proven they can beat all of the above teams)

1. Houston Rockets
2. Dallas Mavericks

p.s. Anyone else noticed the Texas connection in this whole discussion? :)
I think this is the first time in a while, a team from California hasn't been mentioned in the playoffs as a serious title contender. I think the torch has been passed to Texas.

#13 ·
I'd say the Rockets will give a hard time to any team they meet in the playoffs.

They have 2 of the best players in their position in T-Mac and Yao, and IF both of them go wild in a series, who knows? But, most importantly, beyond them there's a nice group of role players in James, Jackson, Sura, Wesley, Howard and even Mutombo to provide the ocasional block or elbow.

i don't see the possibility of the Rockets getting all the way to the Finals as farfetched...

#14 ·
Tracy McGrady has just been carried off the court....looks serious...

so much for this thread if that injury is serious. :cry:

#16 ·
J Blaze said:
p.s. Anyone else noticed the Texas connection in this whole discussion? :)
I think this is the first time in a while, a team from California hasn't been mentioned in the playoffs as a serious title contender. I think the torch has been passed to Texas.
Oh the torch will be in Texas for a long while in the western conference. Every year , each team from the state will contend for the west and the nba finals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.