Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Rockets to Decline Option on Parsons

3K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Ballscientist 
#1 ·
Yahoo Sports and the Houston Chronicle both report that the Rockets will likely decline the fourth-year option on Parsons’ rookie contract, making him a restricted free agent this summer. Houston will therefore have the ability to retain Parsons by matching any offers made to him. Had the Rockets picked up Parsons’s option for 2014-15, worth $964,750, he would have become an unrestricted free agent in 2015.

http://nba.si.com/2014/06/04/chandler-parsons-free-agent-houston-rockets-restricted/

Im surprised by this move actually. I thought they would take him for the low next season to keep their flexibility open for a big move but I guess not. So what kind of contract do you see dude getting? 4 years/40 million??

#2 ·
This is surprising to me. Off the top of my head, I don't think they'd be able to both retain Parsons and ink one of the big-name free agents outright now. I was convinced they were going to attempt to use the Harden/Dwight/Parsons group as a lure for Carmelo or Bosh (or maybe even Lebron). Guess not.

As far as Parsons goes, if he gets the type of huge offer I think he will, I have a feeling a lot of the "Chandler Parsons is AWESOME!" rhetoric is going to die down. He's fantastic as a starter making low money and giving you contributions everywhere on offense. Making $13-$14 million a year and officially becoming Houston's "third star"? Then I think you start being bothered by the fact that he doesn't defend much and isn't really a go-to offensive player.

With Utah and Charlotte (among others) both having a ton of cap space and a definite need for a perimeter player who can shoot, I expect Chandler to get a very generous offer sheet this summer. Good for him.

#3 ·
Maybe they are planning to trade Parsons in a deal for Love or Melo. This makes that option more likely because his contract won't just be a throw-in number anymore.

#4 ·
I think that really only makes sense if they're specifically going after both. If Parsons' cap hold is as small as I think it is, they could theoretically dump Lin and Asik, sign Carmelo outright, and then build a sign-and-trade around Parsons (now making eight figures) and all of the draft picks Houston could offer plus the rights to whatever foreign guys they have for Kevin Love. Admittedly, I hadn't thought of this until just now, and I think Minnesota will get a better offer, and I'm not sure why Parsons would go out of his way to help Morey exile him to basketball purgatory when he could probably get similar money from a playoff team, but it's an interesting exercise.

Unless, of course, I've forgotten about some provision of the new CBA that prevents this from happening.

#7 ·
My personal opinion:

This is an undertable deal. He is worth $10 mil a year. Rockets will pay him $8 mil a year.

Rockets may plan to sign an all-star.

#10 ·
So basically the Rockets are banking on clearing Lin/Asik and signing Melo before anyone signs Parsons?

Seems foolish. Should have just kept him at the lower salary and used his Bird Rights to outbid everyone next year.

#13 ·
To where? I doubt Parsons wants to go to Minnesota, and are the Knicks really planning on starting over with Parsons?

And would Melo want to go to the Rockets if it is Dwight/Harden and nobody else?

#21 ·
Wasn't aware of the one year NTC. That does muddy up the trade option.

The whole idea on that is that Parsons would refuse to go to Minnesota and force another team to sign an offer sheet. But how does he know if he'll like who's giving the offers? Maybe Milwaukee is the highest bidder? There's a lot of if's in the idea that Parsons can force the outcome.

#24 ·
There are plenty of teams with cap space that need a wing. Charlotte, Dallas, LA, Washington, etc..Somebody is going to sign him to an offer sheet. But even if it was a bad team, is Houston really going to let him walk for nothing?

Worst case is that he stays in Houston.

#28 ·
I am pretty sure that declining the QO takes away the cap hold, which is what this is all about. It does not make any sense other wise. As a Hornets fan we should definitely be putting together an offer sheet. I don't really like him as a defensive player, but we need a scoring wing badly.

#31 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.