Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Mason is just a rookie and a second rounder, though a high second rounder in a good draft. Just because Hassell succeeded, doesn't mean Mason will or won't. Guyton and El-Amin were also high second rounders.
While I do think there is a chance Crawford could be traded, it may not have much to do with Mason. Hassell really intrigues me and at the end of last season, his assist totals went noticeably up. He is not a true point guard, but is very versatile and very intelligent and he could see some time at the point this year if needed, especially in the triangle.
I think it is only a matter of time until Jay Williams is playing 37 or 38 minutes a game and with a distributor like Rose on the court at the same time as Williams sits, Hassell may wind up seeing some minutes at the point.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KC</b>!
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/mason_signs_020813.html

Now, does this mean that the rumors could be true? Mason would replace Crawford as our athletic combo guard......
Maybe.

Guyton is gone for sure though. At least that much is certain. Jerry K has always said he wouldn't deal Crawford, so once again I'll have to see it to believe it.

VD

·
Registered
220 Posts
This should be an indicator that the Bulls won't be doing any deals that would require them to renounce the rights to their free agents for the purpose of creating cap space. And since creating cap space doesn't appear to be what the Bulls are interested in, this should pretty much put an end to any speculation about the Bulls doing a sign and trade for Rashard Lewis. Because of BYC issues, the Bulls would have to be under the cap to execute a sign and trade for Lewis, or they'd have to involve a third team.

So, where do the Bulls go from here? They still have a mid level exception to put to use. And there's always the possibility of a straight trade. I'd still like to see the Bulls add a productive veteran or two.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Good read HJ, I agree with you on Lewis. This tightens the possibilities of such a deal.

I also welcome that veteran or two, we need some experienced players on this team who can get some floor time to help our youth develop.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>Songcycle</b>!
Good read HJ, I agree with you on Lewis. This tightens the possibilities of such a deal.

I also welcome that veteran or two, we need some experienced players on this team who can get some floor time to help our youth develop.

Who did you have in mind? We would have to move E-Rob for a chance at Harpring....

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
HJ and KC, I don't think the signing of Mason tells us anything about Lewis. There was never much chance that Mason wasn't going to be signed and there are million scenarios where we can get Lewis in a S&T for around $70M over seven years without using our own cap-space. The two deals mentioned in the Daily Herald (Lewis/Barry and Lewis/Potapenko for Crawford/Fizer/Robinson) do not require us to clear any capspace and net Lewis close to a 7-year $70M deal.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't know what rumor you're referring to. If you suspect that JC (a Seattle native) might be traded to Seattle for Lewis now that the Bulls have signed Roger Mason Jr, I would have to disagree. I don't think the signing of Roger is related in any way to trading JC. However, I would worry if I were Richardson, Hoiberg, or Guyton as I think Mason will cover for these players quite well. Roger is a shooting guard and JC is a PG. Unless the Bulls sign another true PG, I don't believe that they'll trade JC. Having said that, I still believe that is still possible for the Bulls to make a deal for Lewis. Ideally, Krause would like to trade ERob for the rights to Lewis, but Seattle's would never go for that. Unless, Seattle wanted JC so badly, that they were willing to take on ERob's salary just to get him.

What makes the most sense to me, would be to offer Fizer and a 1st round pick for Lewis. For Seattle, they'd get a solid PF who has already proven that he can score against Western conference opponents and a pick to re-build around, all for someone who they'd probably wouldn't be able to sign anyway. For the Bulls, the rationale is obvious. They get a multidimensional and prolific SF with a promising upside. The downside however, they'll be tapped out as far as cap space is concerned and cannot compete in next summer's free agent market.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
yeah, there's always a possibility...

personally, i'd want to wait, and I hope Krause wants to wait as well -- if Mason Jr does pan out as a productive player (a la Hassell) it gives the Bulls a lot more flexibitlity, and does make Crawford much more expendable (this is, however, also dependent on Jay Williams panning out as we all hope/expect him to) If JWill gets starter minutes (30+), and Mason is also productive in bench play, Crawford will be on the table for trade talks...

another reason to wait, is that Crawford's value in trades looks like it can only go up from here -- his value isn't especially high right now, and even if he plays poorly in the first half of the season, his value is not likely to drop much further than it is now.

meanwhile, if he comes out and makes a splash, showing that his knee is not a problem, that he can shoot and pass (i'm not holding out much hope for defending), then he's worth something to a lot of teams.

I can't say i'd like to see Crawford go, but if the previous thoughts come to fruition, Jamal probably doesn't have a place on the team anymore...

·
Registered
145 Posts
How does signing Mason mean we are trading for Lewis. I do not see this as a precursor to a Lewis deal. Mason was going to be signed all along. Baxter will be next.

Will Krause ever go after Lewis? He did not 2 years and no news on Lewis being a serious target this year. I would love for the Bulls to get Lewis. But it ain't going to happen.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Who did you have in mind? We would have to move E-Rob for a chance at Harpring....
ERob is still a question mark in my mind due to injury though he could come through if healthy. I like both Harpring and Popeye Jones and I would be happy to see major competition for minutes due to too much talent at any position. That helps our options for future moves. The acquisition of Rose clouds Robinsons place on the team, even if healthy.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Michael, I wasn't saying that this means we will trade for Lewis. I was just throwing out one possibility of what this COULD mean in an attempt to spark conversation. Personally, I haven't made up my mind on what this means as far as a trade goes. TJ, as far as Mason being a gaurantee to sign from the start, you could be right, but I disagree. I think Baxter was more of the guarantee in that sense.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Bingo!

TJ, as far as Mason being a gaurantee to sign from the start, you could be right, but I disagree. I think Baxter was more of the guarantee in that sense.
On this note I strongly agree. Baxter is a monster and probably will be signed soon, although why mason was signed FIRST is a mystery to me.

However, by signing Baxter, I believe Krause tends to show his "gamblers" hand. Signing baxter first, means, Fizer is all but gone....imho. I too believe the way for seattle to go at this is, they are gonna lose Lewis, one way or another. IF they could get Fizer and a 1st round pick for em next year, they would be far better off.(good point Michael) I still think Crawford will be a part of any deal for lewis tho, now that mason is signed. I hope and pray Krause, IF he deals JC also includes Baga-crap also. It would almost have to be Lewis, Potapenko or Barry .....just a guess..

Fizer, Crawford and Bags for:

Lewis, Potapenko and/or Brent Barry.:grinning:

·
Registered
510 Posts
BamaBull, salary wise, that deal doesn't come close to working. The original deal discussed here included Robinson who makes over $4 mil more than Bagaric.
I also don't understand why signing Mason or Baxter first has any real significance. They will both be signed.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I know the salary doesn't work ....

Originally posted by <b>Songcycle</b>!
BamaBull, salary wise, that deal doesn't come close to working. The original deal discussed here included Robinson who makes over $4 mil more than Bagaric.
I also don't understand why signing Mason or Baxter first has any real significance. They will both be signed.
....but still feel those are possible traded players...I just wanted to see Vomit-bags gone....also, I do think Baxter would have been signed at any event...mason, i was not so sure about.....:grinning:

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
What I have been hearing in a lot of trade talk is a lot of people who seem far too willing to let go of our 2003 1st round pick. Since it is likely that it will be a lottery pick (though hopefully not as heavily weighted in past years), it seems to me that we should keep the pick for a shot at the #1 consensus pick, Lebron James. We could keep that pick and take yet another incredible young talent, or trade the rights to James for what could be a blockbuster deal, since it seems that every GM in North America is caught up in Lebron-mania.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm not real caught up with the chance of getting James but I want to keep our pick as we will have a better idea of what we need after this year and next year may be our last shot at the lottery for a decade or more.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
NC -- Thanks for clearing up the draft pick situation for me. I just plain forgot about that. Getting details like this and browsing the epic posts regarding the salary cap issues has really made this board worth twice the cost of admission.:grinning:

I've checked out the other team sites on this board and the quality of discussion is just not there to the same extent. I must say, It makes me proud to be a Bulls fan.:love:

O.K. Sorry to take a detour from the subject of this thread, but I had to get that out. Enough apple polishing.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TomBoerwinkle#1</b>!
NC -- Thanks for clearing up the draft pick situation for me. I just plain forgot about that. Getting details like this and browsing the epic posts regarding the salary cap issues has really made this board worth twice the cost of admission.:grinning:

I've checked out the other team sites on this board and the quality of discussion is just not there to the same extent. I must say, It makes me proud to be a Bulls fan.:love:

O.K. Sorry to take a detour from the subject of this thread, but I had to get that out. Enough apple polishing.
When you say things like that, you can dtour all you want!! I agree

also dont think its just us who notice that either. Other posters are impressed by the Bulls board. Keep doing what you all are doing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts