Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-roman29.html

The Bulls will be able to match any offer to Crawford, but they have a ceiling on what they're prepared to match, making Crawford available to any serious suitor.

How much interest the Nuggets have remains to be seen. The Clippers, Jazz and Suns also will have salary-cap space, and all may be interested in Crawford.

"I want to wait before thinking about that,'' Crawford said. "I want to stay with the Bulls. We have a good, young nucleus, and I want to help us win.''

It's possible the Bulls won't wait that long to make a move with Crawford. Operations chief John Paxson knows there's a chance he could lose Crawford for nothing, so he's gauging trade interest before the Feb. 19 deadline. Paxson already has turned down one offer as the Knicks wanted Crawford and Eddie Robinson for Frank Williams and Shandon Anderson.

Paxson will talk to Clippers operations chief Elgin Baylor about the possibility of acquiring guard Marko Jaric, according to a league source. The Clippers are trying to trade former Thornton High School standout Melvin Ely, and Paxson is expected to offer the expiring contract of Marcus Fizer for Ely and Jaric, who both have contracts that extend through next season.

If Baylor does entertain the Bulls' interest in Jaric, he would be inclined to ask for Crawford instead of Fizer.

The Bulls were interested in swapping Fizer for Darius Miles before Miles was traded from Cleveland to Portland, but the Cavaliers wanted a point guard and acquired Jeff McInnis.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If Baylor does entertain the Bulls' interest in Jaric, he would be inclined to ask for Crawford instead of Fizer.

This is only logical.He's not going to turn the Clipper offense over to Overton on a full time basis. However, if it's Crawford for Jaric and Ely (instead of Fizer) then Sterling may end up having to actually renounce the Clippers' rights to both Crawford and Richardson to gain enough cap room to sign Bryant. His plan at the end of the season would then be to attempt to sign Bryant first. If that fails he resigns both JC and QR. But if Bryant does agree to become a Clipper, then both Crawford and Richardson might find themselves candidates for unrestricted free agency.

The Clippers are trying to clear cap space to make a strong run at Kobe Bryant this summer. A league source said the Clippers' interest is being reciprocated by Bryant's camp. But that could be just a way of chumming the water in anticipation of an interesting free-agent season.

Now, if Sterling determines that the percentages are very high that he'll sign Bryant, then it might make sense for the Bulls/Clips deal to be expanded to a Crawfod, Fizer for Richardson, Jaric, Ely scenario. Face it, Q is nothing more than a contingency plan for the Clippers. If they sign Bryant, Q is gone. If they don't sign Bryant, Q gets a new contract. How do you think Q might feel about that? Think that might make him receptive to a trade back to his hometown where he's almost certain to be re-signed to a multi-year deal this summer?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
We would be nuts not to do the the expanded trade CB. I have my doubt as to the Clips doing it but you make a good case. Hinrich, Richardson, Jaric trio is very nice. SF still needs an upgrade with a good three pointer shooter there but still looks nice.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I think the Fizer for Jaric and Ely deal is ripping them off a bit, but they are the ones who want cap space. Just because that deal rips them off on the talent aspect, doesnt mean they have the right to rip us off and try to include JC in the deal. Hopefully Pax isnt this stupid.

We could get MUCH better talent for Crawford and Fizer. Jaric and Ely would be a worst case scenario for the two players we are putting on the table.

So if JC is involved and Q is not, then forget it. Fizer for Jaric/Ely.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>truebluefan</b>!

The Bulls were interested in swapping Fizer for Darius Miles before Miles was traded from Cleveland to Portland, but the Cavaliers wanted a point guard and acquired Jeff McInnis.
Well. So we know Pax wants more than Darius Miles for Crawford.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Re: Re: Roman: Nuggets may be looking at Crawford

Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!

Well. So we know Pax wants more than Darius Miles for Crawford.
yep! I wish we could have done that deal. Fizer for Miles that is. I keep telling people Darius Miles is a jump shot and about 15-20lbs of muscle away from being a prime time player.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>L.O.B</b>!
Is it too much to wish for Andre for Jamal and Erobbery ? :joke:

BTW it works.
Screw that.

Let's trade Curry for Boykins. I have a sneaking suspicion that Earl the Squirrell is a better center than Curry is. He rips those rebounds down. And Curry probably gets his shot blocked 2wice as much as Earl.

Boykins is the man. It sucks that the Cavs decided on Ollie instead of Boykins. But I can understand Silas wanting a halfcourt veteran guy. Even though Earl is clearly better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts