Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's green and unrefined, he's only played a few games in the NBA, the football coach at his alma mater wouldn't coach the Bears, and his 10 day contract is expiring as I write.

But Ronald Dupree should be the Bulls starting small forward starting next game.

Look at this line:

Name Min FG 3Pt FT Off Reb Ast TO Stl Blk PF Pts
R. Dupree 25 5-8 0-0 2-2 1 5 1 0 3 0 5 12

I don't mind this guy taking a few more shots a game. The reason he's scoring nicely so far is that he knows how to penetrate. Whether he makes it all the way to the rack or pulls up for a jumper in the lane, he's always moving closer to the hoop and creating an easier shot for himself. Plus I think he gets square to the hoop with good jump shot form. His decent shooting may be more than a flash in the pan.

He's the only slasher we've got.

Add to this the fact that he plays hustling, attentive defense, jumps out of the gym and get boards, and in general is a Skiles type player, I don't think I'm overselling him when I say that he can help up more than Erob who can't dribble to save his life, and Kendall Gill who is undersized at the 3 and struggling offensively as of late. I think he can help us win right now.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
I wonder how high this guy's limit is. Honestly. Could he be an undrafted wonder?

OT: Wow, a huge bug just climbed my wall. That's really gross.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Ronald Dupree is a free agent at Midnight....................until we sign him to another contract

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
DMD, I don't know about starting but more and more I am impressed with this kid. We're talking about a guy who is just a few months removed from being a senior at LSU, whose in the same year as Jamal/Kirk, and is actually younger than the two. I would hope the Bulls would give him 'til the end of the year (at least) to show us what he's got. After all, he's 22 and not done developing.

Updated stats after 5 games:
11.0 pts / 4.2 reb / 2.2 ast / 1.0 stl / .6blk / 23.8 min on 46.8%FGp and 91.6% FTp

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
You have to love rookies who are able to contribute immidiately. Dupree showed me a number of plays that prove he belongs in the league.

Did you guys catch the play in the second quarter where he got caught out of position on the boards and instead of allowing an offensive rebound to his man, he boxed him under the rim... that's a move well beyond his experience level. His man post defense is so much better then it was 10 days ago in his first game. He is starting to be able to hold post position

Offensively: I like the form on his mid-range game. Although it is not consistent yet, when you have good form, your shot seems to come with experience. His ball handling has also improved by leaps and bounds from what it was 10 days ago. He looks like he may eventually develop the handle to play out to the 2. He is the only true slasher we have on the team.

As good as Dupree was in his first game, he has a sick learning curve and I have seen consistent improvements. There's still tons of mistakes, but I have to remind myself, he is still a rookie. Stardom is a reach, but not impossible. This cat does everything, and much like a high lottery pick, has the potential to do everything well.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>superdave</b>!
DMD, I don't know about starting but more and more I am impressed with this kid. We're talking about a guy who is just a few months removed from being a senior at LSU, whose in the same year as Jamal/Kirk, and is actually younger than the two. I would hope the Bulls would give him 'til the end of the year (at least) to show us what he's got. After all, he's 22 and not done developing.

11.0 pts / 4.2 reb / 2.2 ast / 1.0 stl / .6blk / 23.8 min on 46.8%FGp and 91.6% FTp
While I have doubts if Dupree can sustain these stats... his stats are eerily similar to another player the Bulls were looking hard at this summer. That is Jarvis Hayes:

10.8ppg / 4.4reb / 1.7ast / 1.2stl / .3blk / 32.1min on 41.1% FGp and 85.7% FTp

Their games are different, as Dupree is more a slasher and Hayes a smooth outside shooter... but I just find it interesting that their production is near the same for the time Dupree has been a Bull. So props to Dupree for making a splash, let's hope he keeps it up.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts

While I have doubts if Dupree can sustain these stats... his stats are eerily similar to another player the Bulls were looking hard at this summer. That is Jarvis Hayes:

10.8ppg / 4.4reb / 1.7ast / 1.2stl / .3blk / 32.1min on 41.1% FGp and 85.7% FTp

Their games are different, as Dupree is more a slasher and Hayes a smooth outside shooter... but I just find it interesting that their production is near the same for the time Dupree has been a Bull. So props to Dupree for making a splash, let's hope he keeps it up.
Dupree is a little more built, but when I saw him step on the floor the first player I thought of was Hayes. Why can't he sustain the above stats? He has the moves, his shot is a question mark, but it's not fools gold.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C.C.C.P</b>!

Dupree is a little more built, but when I saw him step on the floor the first player I thought of was Hayes. Why can't he sustain the above stats? He has the moves, his shot is a question mark, but it's not fools gold.
I think he can sustain those stats. I just wanna give it a few more good games to let things settle in. And like you, I find it really refreshing seeing rookies contributing from day 1 in the L.

I'm trying to think of the last Bulls wing player who consistently drove the lane hard and was a good finisher. Hmm... can't say Rose did it consistently. Same goes for eRob, Mercer, Hassell, etc. Man its probably been 5 seasons I think.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts

I think he can sustain those stats. I just wanna give it a few more good games to let things settle in. And like you, I find it really refreshing seeing rookies contributing from day 1 in the L.

I'm trying to think of the last Bulls wing player who consistently drove the lane hard and was a good finisher. Hmm... can't say Rose did it consistently. Same goes for eRob, Mercer, Hassell, etc. Man its probably been 5 seasons I think.
Scottie Pippen? and at age 65 he still drives hard.

Yeah, maybe a couple more games would be prudent before I call him a long term solution. It's not like Dupree is a good finisher yet, but he puts himself in the right situations, and seems to have good body control. Just a real natural sense of how to approach the game...

back to the Hayes allusion... Same build but Dupree is by far the more explosive athlete. How did this kid go undrafted?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts

I'm really impressed by the gut too.

I know it doesn't mean much but his stats r nice and his hustle gives us more then stats,+ he plays good D.

Per 48 min:
points rbds ast stls blks
22.2 8.5 4.4 2 1

per 38 min:
17.6 6.7 3.5 1.6 0.8

He gets into foul trouble but should still get more minutes....
He's a keeper

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Scottie Pippen? and at age 65 he still drives hard.

Yeah, maybe a couple more games would be prudent before I call him a long term solution. It's not like Dupree is a good finisher yet, but he puts himself in the right situations, and seems to have good body control. Just a real natural sense of how to approach the game...

back to the Hayes allusion... Same build but Dupree is by far the more explosive athlete. How did this kid go undrafted?
I don't know my man. I guess he had a couple things going against him. One, that he was a senior from a D1 program (this used to be an advantage) and two, he played alot of 4 in college. And if history shows us anything its that 6'7" post players are treated like the plague by most NBA teams.

This being said, almost every draft service of note had him being taken in middle to late second round. So it was a surprise that he wasn't picked. I think its a blessing in disguise because you know his months in the NBDL made him even hungrier ;)

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
It's amazing that people are talking about Dupree like this isn't something that was expected. He played a full college career at a very good school and just because he didn't come out early, or didn't come straight from high school, he doesn't ooze with potential... kinda funny, eh?

I'd sign him for the remainder of the year and also give him next to see what he can really do.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RetroDreams</b>!
It's amazing that people are talking about Dupree like this isn't something that was expected. He played a full college career at a very good school and just because he didn't come out early, or didn't come straight from high school, he doesn't ooze with potential... kinda funny, eh?

I'd sign him for the remainder of the year and also give him next to see what he can really do.
Bingo. How times have changed.

There seems to be a stigma both with 1)playing in the NBDL and 2) not getting drafted that seems to follow this guy. But by all accounts this guy <i>should</i> have been drafted in 2003.

If the Bulls had taken him 2nd round and he put up 11/4/2 on 47% shooting in his first 5 games as a Bull.... wouldn't that excite you to see from a rookie? And to sweeten the deal, the kid has great athleticism and a willingness to improve his game.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I definitley like the way Dupree has been playing but lets remember that he also hasn't been scouted all that much either. Once scouts get a gauge on him it will make things tougher.

·
Registered
892 Posts

Teams will quickly develop a book on Dupree. As a wing player he needs to become a consistent mid-range shooter. As we've all seen, he's most effective when he's slashing to the basket. Having said all that you can expect to see teams start to give him the perimeter shot while taking away his driving lanes. He'll need to adjust or he won't be much more than another hustle guy who picks up a few points here and there in transition and by outscrapping opponents around the hoop.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You have to root for the longshots... much the same way fans supported Hassel, Baxter, Lint, ect.
What creates excitement about Dupree is the fact he posesses uber-athletic ability, on a team of plodders. Face it, what other athlete on the Bull (besides Ty) can make you sit up and take notice. The NBA is supposed to be the most athletic in pro sports, yet our local team has the WOW factor of wheelchair basketball!
Sorry for the rant, Dupree should be tendered something decent and cheap (with a team option), it will be all the money in the world to him. Lets see how he responds to a little bit of security, if he is still not satisfied, maybe we have actually found something good.
Please Lord, we have been good and patient, how bout a little luck shining down on the Bulls a$$.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
I don't really buy the scouting argument....

Dupree finishes with both hands and is quick enough to slash and create. His mid-range game isn't horrible. On D he is solid both on the perimiter and in the post (I like watching him bang down low--you can tell he played post in college). He knows how to board.

Ronald isn't an EC/JC type--players that have strong spikes in their game but are limited by huge Achillies heals. Dupree does everything, just not at a very high level yet.

To me Dupree's one glaring weakness may be his ability to handle in the open court. He has his foot work together when he's closer to the hoop, but further out it's a little shaky. This may be something teams adjust to. But, he seems to know his limitations, and give the ball up (anit-Fizer)...

If Dupree fails it's going to be from a regression in his skills or effort, not from scouting.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
I don't really buy the scouting argument....

Dupree finishes with both hands and is quick enough to slash and create. His mid-range game isn't horrible. On D he is solid both on the perimiter and in the post (I like watching him bang down low--you can tell he played post in college). He knows how to board.

Ronald isn't an EC/JC type--players that have strong spikes in their game but are limited by huge Achillies heals. Dupree does everything, just not at a very high level yet.

To me Dupree's one glaring weakness may be his ability to handle in the open court. He has his foot work together when he's closer to the hoop, but further out it's a little shaky. This may be something teams adjust to. But, he seems to know his limitations, and give the ball up (anit-Fizer)...

If Dupree fails it's going to be from a regression in his skills or effort, not from scouting.
Sadly, I haven't watched Ron play live yet. But the way everyone is talking about him, you know what it's making him sound like?

Quentin Richardson. Underrated from a middling college program, thought to be undersized considering the way he played like a 4 in college, athletic and quick defensively, plays hard and pours out the effort.

Q-Rich clone, Dupree may be.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts