Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is she real life? I just read somewhere that she has had a total of 2:10 fight time in her last four fights. Pure dominance.

What's next for her? She's 12-0 now, does she try and move up a weight class for the challenge? Or should she just keep pounding on these gals until somebody stops her/she gets bored?

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
She's like the Wilt Chamberlain of women MMA. I can't see her losing to anyone while she's in her prime.

I think someone explained it best. Women's MMA is a relatively new sport and it's extremely rare to find someone who started the sport when they were young and actually dedicated their entire life to the sport. Rousey has elite talent and experience and while a lot of her opponents are talented, nobody has anywhere near the amount of experience that she has.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
She is so marketable (and attractive) that she could probably dominate her sport for a couple more years, retire, and get into entertainment pretty easily. She could start up Ronda Rousey training academies or something like that. She's becoming such a household name that she has quite a few options if she gets bored with beating up inferior competition.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
What's next? I'd say hope Cyborg cleans up, Dana signs her, and boom...you have the biggest women's MMA fight of all time.

Who knows if that'll happen though.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
She still holds her chin up way to high...in about 10 years someone might exploit that weakness.

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
Rousey is a great talent, and proves it every time out in the Octagon. Thats all she can control. It's very true though the talent level in womens mma is very average over all at best. Meisha Tate and Cris Cyborg are the only two right now that could possibly prove any sort of threat to Rousey. Especially Cyborg.

Other than that you have a few up coming prospects in Holly Holm, Julianna Pena, and Amanda Nunes.

Even those prospects right now if they faced Rousey would get smoked.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ronda Rousey, 28, doesn't want to fight into 30s, says career 'unfinished'

Ronda Rousey isn't planning on fighting into her 30s, and she thinks a megafight against Cris "Cyborg" Justino would "definitely" provide a sense of finality to her mixed martial arts career.

The 28-year-old Rousey appeared on the "Joe Rogan Experience" podcast Monday, discussing the future of her already distinguished career.

"I don't want to be fighting in my 30s," Rousey said. "By 30s, I mean 31, 32.

"If you're actually 30 years old, that's not 30s -- that's 30. Once you add into 31, that's 30s, plural."

The Los Angeles-based Rousey's focus is gradually shifting toward the film industry. She has appeared in several major Hollywood movies and is scheduled to begin filming a Peter Berg-directed action film "Mile 22" in January. She also is planning to portray herself in a film produced by Paramount Pictures.

But a fight between Rousey, the UFC bantamweight champion, and Justino has loomed over female MMA for years. The UFC and Rousey (12-0) have stated that Justino (14-1), who holds a featherweight title outside of the promotion, must drop to Rousey's weight class.

Many believe Rousey's career would be left unfinished if that fight never materializes. A former U.S. Olympic bronze medalist in judo, Rousey seems to at least partially agree with that take.

"It seems unfinished -- my career," she said. "There's more left to do. I don't feel like I'm done yet. With the Olympics, you win an Olympic gold medal and you're done. With the UFC, when am I done?"

When asked specifically by Rogan, a UFC commentator, if a fight against Justino would help Rousey feel as though her career was over, Rousey answered, "that definitely would."

"If she never steps up, I'll know," Rousey said. "I'll probably go on a little longer waiting for her [to drop in weight], see if she shows up sooner rather than later. I don't know how much longer I'd go."

Justino has expressed doubt she can make the 135-pound weight limit, although earlier this year, she and her management guaranteed Justino would make the weight if the UFC booked a fight against Rousey in December. The UFC went another route and eventually scheduled Rousey to make her seventh title defense against Holly Holm at UFC 193 on Nov. 14 in Melbourne, Australia.

Rousey has long stated her belief that Justino could make the weight if she's not using performance-enhancing drugs. Justino served a one-year suspension in 2011, after she tested positive for anabolic steroids in California.

Since then, Justino has passed multiple random drug tests in Nevada and California -- but Rousey remains unconvinced Justino has discontinued her use of PEDs, based mostly on her physical appearance.

"You see what happens when people get off steroids -- you see what they look like," Rousey said. "It's very easy for them to drop down. They immediately shrink up. It changes everything. It's all an insecurity thing.

"When you look at these people from when they were using and after, they look entirely different. Cyborg looks and weighs exactly the same. If she gets off, it will be very easy for her to make the weight."
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/13558365/ronda-rousey-want-fight-30s-says-career-unfinished-cyborg-fight

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
She was the female version of St-Pierre and Silva where it seemed like she'd never lose but you knew it would happen at some point out of inevitability.

Hard to see anyone ever making as big of a splash as she did in womens MMA seeing as she built the whole franchise.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Keep that chin up that is going to happen. I thought she might lose when I saw the weight in and the shoved at each other and HH didn't move an inch.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
After seeing her "striking" in the Correia fight, I think we all had at least an inclination that she'd be in trouble going toe-to-toe with someone like Holm.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
I don't think a lot of people feel real sorry for her after her not touching gloves either. That was a POS thing to do. I really don't think HH is that great either. I know that sounds weird. She is just experienced and solid. It will be interesting to see if RR can recommit herself.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
I don't think a lot of people feel real sorry for her after her not touching gloves either. That was a POS thing to do. I really don't think HH is that great either. I know that sounds weird. She is just experienced and solid. It will be interesting to see if RR can recommit herself.
10-0. Considered one of the greatest Female Boxers of all time. First Person ever to be a Boxing World Champion and UFC World Champion...Just destroyed the unbeatable Rousey. Not that great?

Interesting take. People are acting like some female off the street just beat Rousey. Holly is just as accomplished in her career as Rousey is

1 - 20 of 30 Posts