Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
University of Kentucky sophomore guard Rajon Rondo is putting his name in the NBA draft … and unlike former Kentucky teammate Randolph Morris, he’s not coming back.

Rondo announced today that he intends to hire an agent to help him prepare for the NBA draft in June. Hiring an agent will make Rondo ineligible for any future college competition. Rondo is expected to hire agent Bill Duffy, whose clients include former UK players Chuck Hayes and Tayshaun Prince.

His former high school coach and current adviser, Doug Bibby, supported the idea of hiring an agent to ensure that Rondo gets the best opportunity to make an NBA team next season.

To merely test the waters, as the cliché goes, will command less than full attention from NBA teams, Bibby said. To hire an agent means you get “the best workouts, the best diets and the best people around you,” the adviser said.

Rondo, who last season became the first player since Cotton Nash in 1962-63 to lead UK in rebounding and assists, made his announcement in Memorial Coliseum. UK Coach Tubby Smith, who sat next to him, saluted Rondo.

“We don’t want to see him leave,” Smith said, “But we understand this is a dream of his. I don't think I coached a better athlete, a more talented athlete, in my entire life.”

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/14261667.htm

·
Premium Member
10,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I'm glad that he is gone. We will be better w/o him. He's a liability on the foul line and he can't shoot the 3. He's got good hands on defense but that's really about it. It's Ramel's time to shine and shine he will. :banana:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
The Houston Chron reported today that Rondo's workout with them went really well. Not that they will choose him necessarily, but they have been looking at several point gaurds that will be going first round. We shall see.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,986 Posts
I really wouldn't expect him to go until late in the first round at best.Personally I am really down on Rondo after this season and I can't understand why some people think he's still a great pro prospect.He spent this entire season showing how flawed his game is against college level competition.

I didn't watch every single UK game like most people here may have,but I think that Rondo played his way out of the starting lineup.He showed that he's not particularly adept at the most basic responsibility of a PG which is to make sure his team's offense runs smoothly.He showed that his entire offensive game depends upon transition oppurtunities.He can penetrate somewhat well and he's a good defender,but in my mind he's about the sixth or seventh best PG prospect after Williams,Lowry,Farmar,Dee Brown,Mardy Collins and Quincy Douby.

I don't mean to completely trash the guy,but I just don't think he's the guy who needs to run out and hire an agent until he gets some solid information on exactly where he stands to get picked.In my mind
he is a real reach if you even pick him in the first round.I don't see how you give a guaranteed three year deal to a guy who may not ever help you myself.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Rondo's strengths are his quickness and defense. He has long arms and big hands which will make him effective against other NBA guards... he did have a lot of problems this past year.. but his situation at UK was not going to improve.

His stock as far as the NBA is concerned is higher because he has the potential to be a starter. The only real problem that he has is an outside shot, which is because of his enormous hands.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing him in Houston, mainly because he would be able to get quite a bit of PT when Rafer isn't playing well (and as was evident this past season Skip is streaky). Plus I could watch three of my fave players on the same team (the good lord willing) :biggrin:

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Who cares what you think about him after this season really. He might simply not have fit in. All that matters is that he is a great talent, very young, has everything you want from a PG and is having good workouts.
From what it sounds like it is very unlikely he could drop past the Suns at 21.

Reactions: HayesFan

·
Premium Member
70,460 Posts
I can see Rondo going top ten after workouts. He's an incredible athlete, and if Marcus Williams is as out of shape as it's being reported, Rondo will DESTROY him in the team drills. I'm hoping for Atlanta to trade down to be in position to snatch Rajon up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.