Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rookies made the all star team or were all league during their rookie year?

I know Jordan made all star. Who else

Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Duncan?

I don't think it will ever happen again, players enter the league too young. Even the Europeans come in a need a few years to adapt.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Lebron

You can almost guarantee that he'll be an allstar just becuase of the hype coming into the league.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
It would seem that most, but not all of the all time greats made the all star game their first year. Both Larry Bird and Magic did.

Just because a player doesn't make the all star game his first year doesn't mean he won't become a great player. Barkley never made it his first year. Stockton didn't make it and Karl Malone didn't either. Neither did Pippen. They are all on the all time 50 greatest players list.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Re: Lebron

Originally posted by w-h-i-t-e-b-o-y
You can almost guarantee that he'll be an allstar just becuase of the hype coming into the league.
I doubt he will in his first year. He will still be a rookie coming out of HS. He will need an adjustment period.....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
WHAT?

Of all the hype surrounding Lebron with reporters and other scouts saying he would have been the first pick in the draft as a soph. imagine 2 years later. Unlike Kobe,and the other to make the jump to the Pro's he'll be on a horrible team(most likely) and he will get massive shots and the team will be built around him!
So I expect in his first season he'll avg approx 18pts per game and the fans(if he's in the east) will vote him in as a starting allstar......The main reason will be becuase of all the hype and lack of talent on whatever team he'll be on.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Yeah, he's riding the hype train, but it is still a big adjustment coming into the league. I think he could put up decent stats, but 18ppg isn't enough to make the all-star team anyways... :no:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Right!

I dont think so either but as raw as he is when he comes into the league everyone will expect HUGE things from him and he'll show flashes of brilliance and the whole nation will see it and just like when my man JWill came into the L he was voted #3 on the guards list for the allstar game, and did he make it NO! Why because after the starters are picked by the fans then its up to someone in the league(I think GM's or coaches "someone") Personally I don't really like him or his game(too hyped) but I think everything he'll do will be shown on highlight reels or somewhere and everybody will be like"WOW this is a kid from high school" . The only difference between him and all the others that have made the jump is its his team and he'll play 35min a game.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
You make a valid point. By the way, David Stern picks the extra players....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
OH MY!

IF Stern does it then in that case he probably will make it, just so the NBA will get even more media coverage and it wont make all the experts look like dummies after all the hype and then him not make the team!!! I hope he's a flop!!!!(nothing personal)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
didn't Iverson make it his rookie season? I can't remember, I know he got pretty close. Anyway, I think DeJuan Wagner probably has the biggest chance to make it his rookie year of this years draft.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Rookies

Dejaun's gonna be very good especially after they get Andre outta town. Wagner's gonna get to start probably from day one. Although I think Jay Williams(even though I dont like him or the team) is gonna have the biggest impact on his team and will avg pretty good numbers 13pts and 5ast, 1stl and his tem will win at least 8 more games but no one is good enough in this years class to be All-NBA or even an All-Star(my opinion).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ivy aint make all star game till his 3rd year neway.

i hate to change subject but i got a question...

If theirs an expansion team in Charlotte (will happen in next 2-3 years), and lets say it happens 2003-2004 season... and Charlotte is entered, do they get the 1st pick or not? I dunno how it works. But this year in the NFL (not the biggest fan but I do watch it) the Houston Texans got the number 1 pick. So does this mean a team in Charlotte wud get no. 1 pick. I member dis didnt happen for th Grizz/Raptors, but i forgot y. So can neone lemme kno how it works. Cuz if they do get number 1, if i were Larry Bird, id get a team in Cha qwik so he has a chance @ gettin Lebron James.

Im out `1~

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Good Call

The Griz and Raps didn't get the first pick because they said it wouldn't be fair to the other teams in the league due to the expansion draft. But after the NFL just did their bit maybe the NBA will change their mind and let Bird do his drafting thing!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts