Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inside Stuff magazine recently ran a photo feature that showed this year's rookie class in their teams' throwback jerseys, and NBA.com was given access to the out-takes. Check out shots of the youngsters in the old-school unis below, then brush up on the game's history with some quick-hit information on how these newbies are linked to the game's storied past.

Article

Marcus Banks, G, Boston Celtics:
THROWBACK FACT: It may not exactly qualify as old-old-school, but Banks' cousin, Ron Riley, is a former Arizona State guard who was drafted in the second round of the 1996 Draft by the Seattle SuperSonics.

Brian Cook, F, Los Angeles Lakers:
THROWBACK FACT: Cook was born to play in the NBA. Literally. His father, Norman Cook, played basketball for Kansas and then the Boston Celtics (1979-80), and his uncle, Joe Cook, lettered in basketball at Duke in 1988 and 1990.

Boris Diaw, G-F, Atlanta Hawks:
THROWBACK FACT: Like Cook, Diaw has basketball in his blood. According to Suproleague Yearbook, Diaw's mother, Elizabeth Riffiod, is considered to be the best center in French women's basketball history.

T.J. Ford, G, Milwaukee Bucks:
THROWBACK FACT: Ford doesn't have to look far to delve into NBA point-guard history; his coach, Terry Porter, was a two-time All-Star who is the all-time assists leader for the Trail Blazers. "Coach played the same position as me, so he really knows what I’m dealing with," says Ford.

Josh Howard, F, Dallas Mavericks:
THROWBACK FACT: Howard's seen here Howard's seen here wearing Rolando Blackman's famous No. 22. Blackman -- a Mavericks legend who had a build and athleticism similar to Howard's -- now serves as the Dallas' Director of Player Development, making him the perfect mentor to help bring Howard along.

Travis Outlaw, F, Portland Trail Blazers:
THROWBACK FACT: It may be a stretch to bestow "throwback" status on Tracy McGrady, but to Outlaw, a rookie straight out of high school, the seven-year veteran is a wise, old All-Star. "I've always thought (T-Mac) was a great player and a great person, and I think that's important for you to be someone people can look up to," says Outlaw.

Aleksandar Pavlovic, F, Utah Jazz:
THROWBACK FACT: While he may not be capable of the head-scratching moves pulled off by the Jazz's erstwhile No. 7, Pete Maravich, Pavlovic is certainly a capable player in his own right. In fact, early comparisons have Pavlovic showing the fearless inside-outside game of a young Sarunas Marciulionis.

Zoran Planinic, G, New Jersey Nets:
THROWBACK FACT: He might be more of a distributor than a shooter, but Planinic has a link to Nets history. Growing up, the 6-7 point guard admired fellow countryman Drazen Petrovic, the scorer extraordinaire who emerged as a star in New Jersey.

Luke Ridnour, G, Seattle SuperSonics:
THROWBACK FACT: It might be the wrong team, but Ridnour's got retro in his blood. "When I was a kid growing up, I idolized Pistol Pete (Maravich)," said Ridnour. "I watched in the movie 'Pistol' that he slept with the ball and he always dribbled the ball around. So I started doing that."

Mike Sweetney, F, New York Knicks:
THROWBACK FACT: Sweetney, a Georgetown alum, spent past summers working out with fellow Hoya bigs Patrick Ewing, Dikembe Mutombo and Alonzo Mourning, so it's only fitting that the Knicks rook don Ewing's famous No. 33

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.