Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ann Peterson, a sports writer for the Associated Press, is reporting that Ruben Patterson has stopped drinking for good and turned his life around. He's doing it for himself and for his kids. He's even trying to reconcile with his ex-wife.

"I got to the point where I was so tired, I was like, man, I've got to stop," he said. "So then and there I said to myself, `I'm stopping.' And I haven't had any since."
http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/b...olive_blazerblog/archives/2005_04.html#056756

Man, I love this story! It almost makes me want to cry. In a season of despair for the Trail Blazers, Ruben has given us something to be immensely proud of. I'm hard on the Blazers bad boys, but you can consider me a BIG-TIME Ruben Patterson fan from now on. I'm going to cheer extra-loud every time he makes a good play!!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Talkhard said:
Ann Peterson, a sports writer for the Associated Press, is reporting that Ruben Patterson has stopped drinking for good and turned his life around. He's doing it for himself and for his kids. He's even trying to reconcile with his ex-wife.

http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/b...olive_blazerblog/archives/2005_04.html#056756

Man, I love this story! It almost makes me want to cry. In a season of despair for the Trail Blazers, Ruben has given us something to be immensely proud of. I'm hard on the Blazers bad boys, but you can consider me a BIG-TIME Ruben Patterson fan from now on. I'm going to cheer extra-loud every time he makes a good play!!
I agree. I am going to hate to see Ruben go. I hope he stays here for quite a while. He could be a huge asset to a winning team. A role player who hustles and fires up the crowd? What a concept.

The fact that he admits his past faults and is working on improving himself on and off the court makes me like him even more.

FYI - this has been covered in Portland before. But I'm glad it's hitting the national press with this AP story.

-Pop

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good.....Maybe POR can actually TRADE Him now.
Why would they want to, if he's sober and not causing any problems? The guy is an incredible hustle player who leaves everything on the court. He can inspire the rest of the team with his all-out style of attacking the boards, and he can be an effective mentor to the young guys. Having turned his life around, he fits in perfectly with the new Blazers.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Talkhard said:
Why would they want to, if he's sober and not causing any problems? The guy is an incredible hustle player who leaves everything on the court. He can inspire the rest of the team with his all-out style of attacking the boards, and he can be an effective mentor to the young guys. Having turned his life around, he fits in perfectly with the new Blazers.
because Viktor and Travis have better games than he does in the long run?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I'm a huge Ruben fan and I'm really going to miss what he brings to the floor once he's gone. But I'm going to have to agree with Hap on the fact that he just doesn't fit into our long term plans. With guys like Viktor and Outlaw showing a ton of potential and progress, trading a guy like Ruben, who's stock is at an all time high, would be beneficial to us in the long run.

Smart moves aren't necessarily favorite moves. Unfortunately for Ruben and the Blazers, parting ways may be what's best for both parties at the moment.

However, I've always thought that he could get some time playing the backup 2 and occasionally the 3. If anyone should go, it's Darius.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts