Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it even possible to move the guy? I suggested trading him straight up to Sacramento for Corlis Williamson in another thread. He'd give them toughness and defense, and we'd get a poor man's Randolph-style backup at PF. The salaries seem to work.

Are there better options?

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
theWanker said:
Is it even possible to move the guy? I suggested trading him straight up to Sacramento for Corlis Williamson in another thread. He'd give them toughness and defense, and we'd get a poor man's Randolph-style backup at PF. The salaries seem to work.

Are there better options?
depends who they they trade with him, as to who they trade for.

Ruben alone, doesn't net us much. Ruben + a youngin (Jack, Outlaw, Monia, Viktor, whatever) could net us something better. Ruben + a starter could net us something goodly. Ruben + a rookie + a starter + a pick should net us something reasonably great.

In my warped my mind I mean.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Off the top of my head, Malik Rose is the only player that even comes to mind to fill a need in Portland without causing a log jam somewhere. Does Portland want to add a back up PF with three years left? Would they be able to squeeze a pick out of New York or would the deal have to include another player.

At this point Rose might not be that bad of a pick up as a back up. Atleast he seems to know his role. :whoknows:

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Seattle for Danny Fortson....If Seattle would want him back.
Sacramento for Kenny Thomas...If we want to take ona long contract for a backup PF
New York for Malik Rose...Doesn't look too bad for either team
Boston for Raef Lafrenz....Ouch hurts the salary status, but brings outside shooting

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
How about Ruben for Wes Person and a 1st round pick, lol!

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
see, that's why I like the Corlis Williamson deal so much. he's got the same contract length as Patterson, and although he isn't as good, he's at least a serviceable backup PF. Corlis is a pretty unexciting player, so it doesn't exactly shock me that people aren't jumping all over the idea. but for what we need and what Patterson is worth it seems reasonable.

I'd rather have a Kenny Thomas or a Malik Rose, but the contract lengths are way too onerous.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
To philly, for either:

1) The trade exemption that they received from New Jersey in the Marc Jackson trade.

2) Jamal Mashburn (expiring soon, and the majority is paid by insurance, I believe). Dixon, I believe, would have to be included to make salaries match.

Or, maybe we could expand the first one a little bit (making it, virtually, two deals) to send Dixon to Philly, along with, say, a future second round pick for John Salmons and James Thomas??? :whoknows: Personally, this would be my preference.

It'd leave us with:

Telfair / Jack / Blake
Salmons / Monia / Webster / Smith
Przybilla / Ratliff / Ha
Miles / Outlaw / Khryapa
Randolph / Thomas / (Khryapa)

Salmons, Monia, and Webster could all put in time at SF, as needed, while Miles and Outlaw could shift to the SG position, for short stretches, if needed.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
theWanker said:
see, that's why I like the Corlis Williamson deal so much. he's got the same contract length as Patterson, and although he isn't as good, he's at least a serviceable backup PF. Corlis is a pretty unexciting player, so it doesn't exactly shock me that people aren't jumping all over the idea. but for what we need and what Patterson is worth it seems reasonable.

I'd rather have a Kenny Thomas or a Malik Rose, but the contract lengths are way too onerous.
I agree, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. Corliss has never been known as a great "character guy," but I don't think he's near the piece-of-work that Ruben is, mentally. Sacramento could almost always use some additional perimeter defense (see: they play, virtually, none) and are over-loaded at PF, so I think that this deal could work for both teams.

I also like the fact that Big Nasty can score... we need that in a back-up big man, in my opinion. He's also not a terrible defender. He isn't a great one, either, but he'd be sufficient enough, in terms of a back-up PF.

Sign me up! I'd be ALL for that bad-boy!

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Although it's not logical (in the sense of easing our "glut"), Ruben for Brent Barry would work.

But I don't know where Brent would play, necessarily.

How about we trade him to Detroit, since Rasheed could sell him being super important,a nd when the Pistons win the title (or make it to the finals) we can be reminded of how Ruben is vital to the Pistons success, and how foolish the Blazers were for trading him to the Pistons.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
How about we trade him to Houston for and 2nd round pick and Clarence Weatherspoon's contract. Weatherspoon isn't even playing, but who cares at this point? Or was he waived under the 'Derek Anderson' rule?

Anyway, I think the Blazers should consider Patterson an ending contract. Considering how unhappy he is, there's a 90% chance he opts out after this year. The more we bench him, the more likely it gets that he'll opt out. I think that he still has some value around the league, even though I'm tired of his game. I could see somebody signing him for three years and $15 million or something like that, so he wouldn't be losing that much $$$ and he'd be happier.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a little skeptical that Patterson would walk away from a secure contract and take much less just to get away from Portland, but if there's one guy in the league stupid and emotional enough to do it, Captain Chaos may just be that man.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
theWanker said:
I'm a little skeptical that Patterson would walk away from a secure contract and take much less just to get away from Portland, but if there's one guy in the league stupid and emotional enough to do it, Captain Chaos may just be that man.
you mean, if there's one guy in the league stupid enough to pass up good money, Sprewell is the man to do it. If there's a 2nd man who's stupid enough to pass up good money, it's Ruben.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
All these trades have been checked on RealGM (however reliable that is):

1. Ruben and Travis to BOSTON for Mark Blount and Al Jefferson
(like it, and Ainge supposedly wants Outlaw, but enough to give up Jefferson? He would be offloading Blount, who has four years left.)

2. Theo and Ruben to NY for Antonio Davis and Jerome James
(Suddenly we're a lot deeper at backup center, and we get Davis off the books at the end of the season.)

3. Theo and Ruben to ORLANDO for Cato (again), Battie and Pat Garrity
(Only Garrity has a contract past this year. Cato and Battie together could probably do Theo's job. Orlando is struggling, and probably could use some defense.)

Okay, now I'm bored. I can see what theWanker (who, now he has procreated, deserves even less his onanistic moniker) means - there just isn't that much out there to get for him. Boston tempts me the most, if only because Ainge supposedly wants Travis, and is prepared to roll the dice. But I think they're too much in love with Jefferson to give him up so soon.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
meru said:
All these trades have been checked on RealGM (however reliable that is):

1. Ruben and Travis to BOSTON for Mark Blount and Al Jefferson
(like it, and Ainge supposedly wants Outlaw, but enough to give up Jefferson? He would be offloading Blount, who has four years left.)
I don't think theres much chance of that. They're at least as high on Jefferson as we are on Telfair. Of course I would do it if it were an option from our side.

2. Theo and Ruben to NY for Antonio Davis and Jerome James
(Suddenly we're a lot deeper at backup center, and we get Davis off the books at the end of the season.)
Please, no James. If we get him I'm going Mixum on Nash.

3. Theo and Ruben to ORLANDO for Cato (again), Battie and Pat Garrity
(Only Garrity has a contract past this year. Cato and Battie together could probably do Theo's job. Orlando is struggling, and probably could use some defense.)
How long is Garrity's contract? I don't really care for this trade much as we give up the best talent by a good margin. But if Garrity isn't too much longer it might be worth considering.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Needs:
1. Outside Shooting
2. Backup PF
3. Inspiring Vet (any position)

I think we should get a PF that can shoot from the outside. It'd be good because it'd give the second unity a different look than the first. If Darius comes back in, he'll pull his guy to the perimeter, giving Miles some room to drive or move around in the paint.

I don't know much about current salaries, but Austin Croshere, Pat Garrity, Corliss Williamson are guys who can hit the outside J.

Or, we just trade him for junk and free some time up for Outlaw and others.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
No way on the Al Jefferson deal. Two bigs for two wings? Not a chance.

Isaiah/Brown won't part with Antonio Davis, especially if they make some sort of playoff push later in the year.

While Cato and Battie are both on the market, the TWO of them won't be moved at the same time without getting two big men back, as much as they need Theo.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Fork said:
How about we trade him to Houston for and 2nd round pick and Clarence Weatherspoon's contract. Weatherspoon isn't even playing, but who cares at this point? Or was he waived under the 'Derek Anderson' rule?
He was indeed waived under the amnesty rule, so no go on a trade for him.

I think the Blazers would be lucky to get a chair for Patterson. If they trade him, IMO they'd have to take a longer (ie, worse) contract in exchange.

Williamson is about the best realistic option, and I'm not so sure that's even realistic. I'd sooner see him cut than traded for a longer contract.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts