Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Portland Tribune says Blazers fans can rule out the possibility of Rudy Tomjanovic becoming the next Blazers coach:

“Absolutely not. I’m scouting for the Lakers now, and I’ll be working for them for at least two more years — hopefully longer.”

But Rick Adelman sounds like he'd be interested in returning:

“I have a job, and all I’m thinking about now is getting our team into the playoffs,” he says. “My first choice is to be coaching Sacramento. If I weren’t to have a job with the Kings, of course I would be interested (in the Blazer job).”
Personally I would think that Aldelman would be a nice hire for this team if the Kings were to let him go, but I don't see how Paul Allen could or would let Patterson hire him back, wouldn't that be saying he was wrong in the first place for letting him go or would it be a step in the right direction in returning to "Rip City"? :whoknows:

Portland Tribune

·
Registered
675 Posts
It would be similar to the situation where Walker has been welcomed back to the Celtics. I think PA would go for it if the Blazers felt that Adelman would be a good hire. Honestly, I think most of them know that it was a mistake to fire him, and that he's obviously a solid coach that would be welcomed back in the city.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I've always liked Adelman and didn't like how we fired him.

Anyways, considering the possible coaches on the market, I think that Adelman has them all beat in both the winning record and the right attitude with the players. I'm not at all sold on Musselman and not much with Saunders either, although I prefer him of the two.

I would definately welcome back Adelman though. Back to rip city baby!

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
If I had a choice, no restrictions.. It might be in the order of something like this

Chuck Daly (yes I know he is retired)
Phil Jackson
Rick Adelman
Greg Popovich
Larry Brown
Rick Carlisle

Eric Mussleman
Flip Saunders
Terry Porter/Jerome Kersey/Clyde Drexler/Kiki as GM
Bill Laimbeer
Michael Cooper
Avery Johnson?

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Trader Bob said:
If I had a choice, no restrictions.. It might be in the order of something like this

Chuck Daly (yes I know he is retired)
Phil Jackson
Rick Adelman
Greg Popovich
Larry Brown
Rick Carlisle

Eric Mussleman
Flip Saunders
Terry Porter/Jerome Kersey/Clyde Drexler/Kiki as GM
Bill Laimbeer
Michael Cooper
Avery Johnson?

What about Damon Stoudamire, if he retires at the end of the season......? :rock:

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
honestly, and I don't think this will be a very popular opinion, but I don't know if Adelman would be a good choice right now. I love him, I think he would be great in a couple years, but right now I think this team needs to have another taskmaster. A guy who runs a tight ship. I always thought of Adelman as a players coach.

I really think Musselman is the best guy for the job right now. I think he'd be perfect. He really got the most out of the Warriors when they had Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison. It wasn't his fault they lost Arenas and traded Antawn.

Right now I think these guys need a General George S. Patton, not an Omar Bradley.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
If the Kings force Petrie to fire Adelman I'd like to see Portland ask permission to talk to Petrie as well. I think if Paul Allen asked personaly he might ome back.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Stevenson said:
Does anyone besides me think that Pip would probably make for a very good coach?
I think he would make a very good coach. But then what do I know?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Pippen has never coached and he clashed with (quite successful) front offices wherever he went.

Scottie was a brilliant basketball player--physically and mentally--but I don't think that he'd be a very good head coach.

Ed O.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
I agree with you Ed. I don't like the idea of bringing in a recent ex-player head coach. This means no Terry Porter, Jerome Kersey, Clyde Drexler, or any other guy who has retired within the past 5-6 years.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
NateBishop3 said:
I agree with you Ed. I don't like the idea of bringing in a recent ex-player head coach. This means no Terry Porter, Jerome Kersey, Clyde Drexler, or any other guy who has retired within the past 5-6 years.
I hear what you're saying. I think that Porter is in a different class than Kersey/Drexler/Pippen, though: he's been a head coach and he's experienced some success... every time I see the Bucks' roster I'm amazed they ever win any games, and I think Porter deserves credit for limiting the Bucks' embarassments.

Ed O.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
I agree, Porter is the only name even worth considering among the bunch. I'm still wary of bringing in a recent player as coach though. Can you blame me after the Maurice Cheeks debacle?

·
Registered
651 Posts
NateBishop3 said:
I agree, Porter is the only name even worth considering among the bunch. I'm still wary of bringing in a recent player as coach though. Can you blame me after the Maurice Cheeks debacle?
Not really a good comparison - Mo hadn't played in about 15 years before becomming a head coach. I don't think length of time away from playing really has anything to do whether a player becomes a good head coach or not. Basketball smarts, strategy, and ability to communicate are the keys. Just look at Pat Riley and Don Nelson - neither were great players, but they understood the game and got that across to their players. Ditto Phil Jackson and Rick Adelman.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts