Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am just underway of starting Fienstein's book entitled "The Punch", about Kermit Washington's famous punch on Rudy T in the 70s.

Anyway, is there anyone here who can point me to a link with a film clip? Pictures of the fight? Anyone got any info or input?

Interesting topic.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Thats sick

You want to enjoy seeing someone sucker punch while running.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it isnt just some stupid fight, [strike]chump.[/strike]

It was a fight that changed the game forever. Since then, serious penalties and adjustments have been made in the league.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TheTruth34</b>!
it isnt just some stupid fight, chump.

It was a fight that changed the game forever. Since then, serious penalties and adjustments have been made in the league.
Hee hee, chump. :laugh:

The fight was quite symbolic of thuggish behavior (or what may be percieved as such) in the NBA today, I wouldn't mind seeing that link. People never remember that he was the last person to average 20 and 20 in NCAA, all the remember is the punch. Thanks SLAM Magazine.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
NBA fight videos are fun, but that one isn't. It's just sick and disturbing- it nearly killed him.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!
I remember reading that after Rudy got punched, he could taste brain fluid in his mouth.
:eek:
I remember reading about the fight in a book.
From memory it said that a huge fight broke out between two teams, Rudy came in as a peacemaker and walked straight into a punch and ended up in a critical condition with broken bones all over his face:uhoh:

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
That was some vicious stuff. That messed up Rudy T pretty bad. I wonder if Kermit has ever apologized for it.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RebelSun</b>!
That was some vicious stuff. That messed up Rudy T pretty bad. I wonder if Kermit has ever apologized for it.
He did apologize and has been apologizing since the incident so many years ago.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
my understanding is they never spoke till the book came out. besides, isnt a fight when two people are involved, not one guy sucker punching another?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The punch actually disloged Rudy's skull.

It actually DISLODGED his skull!

I reccomend picking a copy up of the book.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TheTruth34</b>!
The punch actually disloged Rudy's skull.

It actually DISLODGED his skull!

I reccomend picking a copy up of the book.

Yeah, I thought I remember hearing about the skull. That is so insane.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Kareem was a part of the fight, too.

Kermit Washington was a decent player but was also a goon to keep guys from getting to frisky with Jabaar. Kermit had Kareem's back.

You see the same kind of players in hockey. The NBA did not want to become like the NHL so severe penalties have gone into effect in regards to fighting.

Actually, Kermit did not "sucker punch" Rudy. Rudy did a dumb thing. He came running at full speed to help break up the fight. Kermit reacted in self defense thinking that Rudy was going to join the fight. Kermit grew up on tough streets so his reaction was a learned one. It was not a sucker punch.

The fight changed both of their lives forever. Kermit went from a player with a reputation as a hard working and tough guy who could score and rebound well to that of a sucker punching thug. Rudy was not talked about because of his All-Star type game he was the guy that took "The Punch". Rudy has found great success in coaching. He is at peace with the incident. Kermit bounced around the NBA then was gone. He has had little success since the incident and is just trying to escape the ghosts that haunt him. All because he reacted in self defense and because he was a great puncher.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Abcnews had an article on it, with a video apparently, but you have to be a subscriber or registered member or something.

I hadn't even heard about it till this thread,but I've done some reading on it now, it sounds brutal.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts

Here's Rudy T after...

Article about The Punch

In a moment of sheer instinct, Washington turned and crushed Tomjanovich with a vicious right hand that Lakers assistant coach Jack McCloskey called "the hardest punch in the history of mankind."

Tomjanovich suffered fractures of the face and skull. His nose was broken, and he suffered a separated upper jaw, a concussion and lacerations around his mouth. He was leaking spinal fluid into his nose.

In an article on the incident, Sports Illustrated reported the "bone structure of his face was knocked loose from his skull." Doctors compared the injury with hitting a windshield at 50 mph.

Tomjanovich spent two weeks in the hospital while nurses and family kept towels over the mirrors to hide his face from himself.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
rudy t's skull go dislocated and the doctors only knew that it was REALLY serious after they asked him if he tasted this kinda funny thing...and he said yes. that was his brain/spinal fluid.

Actually, Kermit did not "sucker punch" Rudy. Rudy did a dumb thing. He came running at full speed to help break up the fight. Kermit reacted in self defense thinking that Rudy was going to join the fight. Kermit grew up on tough streets so his reaction was a learned one. It was not a sucker punch.
100% true.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
No, it was a sucker punch

clear as a bright day. He wasn't running at him nor looking at him.

Don't use he can from the tough streets so he reacted. First of all there are no tough streets in the US, try going overseas to third world countries and you'll know what mean. Also, anyone who has fought(or is so-called tough) knows that a sucker punch, that makes complete contact, can kill...especially someone who is running at you and not looking. I have seen enough sucker punches in my day to know what they can do to a face. But in my old Neighborhood, if you gave a someone a sucker punch you were disgraced and maybe even have your butt kicked a bit.

If you don't think so, next time have a friend try it on your face when your not looking and see what happens. Nasty stuff the sucker punch, cowardly act.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
slam had an article about kermit washington (issue 58) few years ago, and here is his take on "the punch":

SLAM: You've said that no one really understood your side of what happened when you punched Rudy T. Here's your chance.

Washington: It's never really made any difference what I said because images are much more powerful than words and a lot of people saw me hitting Rudy and him collapsing in a horrible way on TV. They didn't see that his teammate[Kevin Kunnert] was the one who hit me and elbowed me a couple of times to start it. Rudy came running over. Apparently he was intending to break things up, but I just saw the uniform running at me, turned and swung. I made a horrible mistake.

SLAM: In all these years, have you spoken to Rudy about it?

Washington: Not extensively. He feels bad and he should. I understand his position. Rudy was running to the aid of his teammate and I just made a mistake in judging that he had the same intention that his teammate had.

SLAM: You became a pariah then, traded all over the place, but you managed to keep having good years. Was it hard to concentrate and focus on playing ball?

Washington: No, no. Not at all. You have to survive, so that's what you do. I don't think negatively about Kevin Kunnert or any of those people. It's just something that happened and I had to move on, which is what I did and am still doing. It has, however, made it very difficult to get a job in basketball...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts