Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Seton Hall isn't winning a national championship anytime soon. No way they can compete with the UConn, Syracuse, Cincinnati, Louisville in that league. Of course Seton Hall is probably the best Ruland is going to do anyways.

Pecora is probably their first choice and Gonzo a close second. I'd be shocked if Ruland got that job.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Seton Hall is located in New Jersey. New Jersey may have the best athletes in the country - especially South Jersey. The right coach and recruiter (salesman) should be able to make some hay down there.

Louis Orr turned out to have one of the best coaching careers of any SHU coach - and Orr won't leave his neighborhood to recruit.

I don't think Ruland will get that job, either, and Pecora has a good thing going at Hostra. If Gonzo or Ruland don't get that job - I'd expect one of these mid-major/Sweet 16 coaches to get it.

If things go bad at Iona and Ruland is put out to pasture, he'd take a job in the NBA and collect a check from Iona for the next couple of years.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
soup said:
Seton Hall is located in New Jersey. New Jersey may have the best athletes in the country - especially South Jersey. The right coach and recruiter (salesman) should be able to make some hay down there.

Louis Orr turned out to have one of the best coaching careers of any SHU coach - and Orr won't leave his neighborhood to recruit.

I don't think Ruland will get that job, either, and Pecora has a good thing going at Hostra. If Gonzo or Ruland don't get that job - I'd expect one of these mid-major/Sweet 16 coaches to get it.

If things go bad at Iona and Ruland is put out to pasture, he'd take a job in the NBA and collect a check from Iona for the next couple of years.
NJO's article says Gonzo or Pecora. Ruland is not mentioned but we know he is wrapped up in a scandal.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Pecora has a potential Top 25 team coming back at Hofstra - that's going to be a tough decision for him - but dollars are dollars. And SHU can probably triple his pay.

·
Registered
178 Posts
soup said:
Pecora has a potential Top 25 team coming back at Hofstra - that's going to be a tough decision for him - but dollars are dollars. And SHU can probably triple his pay.
The dollars are a huge temptation, but so would the prospect of taking a team that you built to the NCAA tournament and checking out the coaching landscape from that vantage point next year. He just might be able to look right over the top of Seton Hall.

Nice problem to have.

·
Registered
190 Posts
soup said:

Soup I agree with everything you said. Could Ruland be dismissed for cause if any of the D1 allegations are proven correct?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd be SHOCKED if SHU even gave Ruland an interview, much less hired him. He is coming off a nice season, but he has a mediocre record, and the D1 Scheduling scandal has to loom large. I'm not sure he could get another mid-major job right now, much less a Big East job.

Also, I can't imagine SHU's administration could have been too impressed with the beating Ruland's team took from the Pirates this season, in which Orr outcoached him.

His campaigning for the job (as he did the last time, when Orr was hired) is not only insulting to Iona, but makes him look desparate.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
That's a real slap in the face to the Iona administration. What a great way to show thanks from a career .500 coach who is the most overpaid Div. 1 coach in the nation. Real class act he is. He can get away with being so crass because with three years left on his deal, he knows he's got Iona by the cojones. I'm sure it's his big F-you to his bosses after they fired his whole staff. All is not well in Gael land. I'm not feeling the love.

I eagerly await GuyF's reaction to this statement from Ruland.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sienafan said:
I eagerly await GuyF's reaction to this statement from Ruland.
Me too. I figure Ruland was able to get this sweet-*** deal because most of the people who are in the position to show Iona some love (i.e. parents of college-age children and prime-years professionals) were at Iona when Ruland and Valvano were at Iona. This must be a powerful bond - they would tolerate an awful lot from him, forget many things undesirable, pay him way more than he deserves and probably swallow pandering for another job in the middle of a public problem that he may have created.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Well, my guess is that Liguori and company aren't thrilled with the allegations, and even if they are proven false, it's still bad publicity for the college and will have a negative effect on the program. We need only look at Fairfield for evidence. I'm sure Ruland is tired of taking heat from above, deserved or not.

A quick read of the Seton Hall board suggests that they don't want Ruland to be their next coach. I would assume that others--including Gonzo--are ahead of him in the running anyway. At this point, barring a slew of NCAA violations resulting from the LACC stuff (don't count on it) resulting in his getting canned, Ruland will be back at Iona next year. I just hope his latest attempts to better his position does not hurt Iona in the long run.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Here's a columnist from the Bergen Record endorsing Ruland for the gig.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php...lRUV5eTM2MjgyNDQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Some Ruland quotes re the LACC stuff:

"Show me that super JUCO stud that I've been getting from L.A. City?" said Ruland, who hasn't had had an L.A. City player on his roster since 2000. "We were scrambling after my scheduling guy had been fired [two years ago], and without [D-1 Scheduling's] help, I wouldn't have gotten the games that I got to play. The money we got from playing Fresno, Kentucky and Iowa State [through D1 Scheduling] is the same as the guarantee money we got from playing Seton Hall [which wasn't scheduled through D1]."

"There was nothing here that was a violation of any NCAA rules."

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
GuyF said:

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php...lRUV5eTM2MjgyNDQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

"Show me that super JUCO stud that I've been getting from L.A. City?" said Ruland, who hasn't had had an L.A. City player on his roster since 2000. "We were scrambling after my scheduling guy had been fired [two years ago], and without [D-1 Scheduling's] help, I wouldn't have gotten the games that I got to play. The money we got from playing Fresno, Kentucky and Iowa State [through D1 Scheduling] is the same as the guarantee money we got from playing Seton Hall [which wasn't scheduled through D1]."

One thing St. Louis Gael had mentioned as a possibility was that Iona might have a contract with DI to schedule all games through them, and htat is why Iona sent Kentucky to DI to set up the game. However, if SHU was scheduled all on their own, then this is incorrect - it still doesn't sound right - but I hope everything is ok!

·
Registered
370 Posts
GuyF said:

Hey Guy ... why don't you rip this writer for being in Ruland's pocket like you acuse Doyel of being in Gonzales'? Not for nothing, but this is the same writer who absolutely ripped Bobby G. a new one a couple of years ago for being a shameless self promoter.

I'm still think Ruland is going to decide to spend more time with his family before the summer is over.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
MacDog said:
One thing St. Louis Gael had mentioned as a possibility was that Iona might have a contract with DI to schedule all games through them, and htat is why Iona sent Kentucky to DI to set up the game. However, if SHU was scheduled all on their own, then this is incorrect - it still doesn't sound right - but I hope everything is ok!
Thought I covered this topic already, but I shall repeat.

Kentucky has gone on the record stating that we asked them to go through D1 Scheduling. My understanding is that that's not exactly true. What did happen was that D1 found that Kentucky had the open date (I will guess through the Basketball Travellers site) and planted a seed at Kentucky. This is what prompted Kentucky to call us--what other reason could UK have for calling us out of the blue to schedule a game? So that would be why we told them to go through D1--they're the ones who found the game for us, albeit indirectly. Anyway, this is how I hear the UK game came about.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
quackman said:
Hey Guy ... why don't you rip this writer for being in Ruland's pocket like you acuse Doyel of being in Gonzales'? Not for nothing, but this is the same writer who absolutely ripped Bobby G. a new one a couple of years ago for being a shameless self promoter.

I'm still think Ruland is going to decide to spend more time with his family before the summer is over.
Stupid post, and one designed to stir up trouble yet again on this board.

I don't think one column from one columnist equates to "being in Ruland's pocket." This is a far cry from the 3-year shilling we've endured from Doyel re Gonzo.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nice try ...

it's legitimate question, this is purely a puff piece from a columnist who has gone after Bobby G more than once. (rightfully so, imo) fwiw, I like Wojo, thought his coverage of the issues at St Bonavenure were right on.

One question though, when exactly was Kenya Carruthers on Iona's roster? I know it was after 2000.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Re: Nice try ...

quackman said:
it's legitimate question, this is purely a puff piece from a columnist who has gone after Bobby G more than once. (rightfully so, imo) fwiw, I like Wojo, thought his coverage of the issues at St Bonavenure were right on.

One question though, when exactly was Kenya Carruthers on Iona's roster? I know it was after 2000.

Carruthers played in the 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 seasons. But he was from Compton CC, not LACC, one of the many errors in Doyel's piece.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Re: Nice try ...

Defense said:
Carruthers played in the 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 seasons. But he was from Compton CC, not LACC, one of the many errors in Doyel's piece.
I don't know much about Carruthers... but SoCal hoops says he came from LACC

http://socalhoops.com/prep00/0500/lacc0515.htm

Googling him it certainly looks like Carruthers came to Iona via LACC.. Defense where are you getting your info from ? Here is the scouting report for a Umass and Iona game..Look under new faces and where they list Carruthers from? If Iona fans want to defend Iona and Ruland thats fine, but at least have your facts correct

Iona Scouting Report
From The Springfield Union-News
ovember 18, 2000, 7:00 p.m.
at UMass

Head Coach: Jeff Ruland (Iona '91), 3rd season

1999-2000 Record: 20-11 (13-5 in MAAC)

Returning players: Sr. Nakiea Miller (F-C), Sr. Leland Matthews (G-F), Sr. Phil Grant (G), Jr. Dyree Wilson (F), Jr. Leland Norris (G), So. Maceo Wofford (G)

New faces: Sr. Earl Johnson (G) (Rutgers University), So. Kenya Carruthers (G-F) (LA City College), Fr. Drago Pavlovic (F), Fr. Charles Henson (F), Fr. Greg Jenkins (F-C)

Last time UMass met Iona: November 20, 1999, at Iona--UMass won, 85-77

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.