1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wally in Knick world?

By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
BOSTON - Wally Szczerbiak's father revealed yesterday that Minnesota would be willing to trade his son - possibly to the Knicks - who have coveted the All-Star small forward for two years.
"I think there is a small chance that he could be traded," said Walter Szczerbiak. "At least that is the speculation I get from (Timberwolves vice president) Kevin McHale.

"If they feel they're getting a player in return who fits into what they're trying to do, they won't hesitate to pull the trigger."

The younger Szczerbiak is seeking a long-term contract from the Timberwolves, who have already exercised an option for the 2002-03 season. The Long Island product has been the subject of trade rumors because of his contentious relationship with teammate Kevin Garnett and because the 'Wolves are reluctant to offer him a deal that could be worth as much as $90 million.

Walter Szczerbiak said his son will not demand the maximum but, like any player, "he wants the team to show appreciation for the fact he's been doing the right things."

The latest Szczerbiak-to-New York rumor is a complicated three-team deal that would send Latrell Sprewell to Detroit and Jerry Stackhouse to Minnesota while bringing Szczerbiak home to the Knicks.

Because Szczerbiak is making significantly less money than Sprewell and Stackhouse, other players would have to be added to the deal.

Coincidentally, Szczerbiak, who grew up in Cold Spring Harbor, recently bought a home in Manhasset, where he spends the offseason.

The elder Szczerbiak, a former professional player, is the U.S. representative for the Spanish professional league (ACB) and is scouting players in the Shaw's Pro Summer League at UMass-Boston this week.

"It would be very interesting from a family standpoint to have (his son) in New York. We can go to the Garden to watch him instead of watching his game on TV," the father said.

The Knicks and Timberwolves have been discussing a possible sign-and-trade deal for free-agent center Rasho Nesterovic. McHale has said repeatedly he intends to keep his young 7-foot center. He has made similar pledges about Szczerbiak, a proven scorer who is only 25 (Sprewell is 32 and Stackhouse 27).

However, Minnesota has never advanced past the first round of the playoffs and Szczerbiak and Garnett have had several run-ins.

is that a good trade for newyork Knick

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Can you edit your post and put the link rather then full article. Sorry copyright laws prohibit from any site posting the full article that they have not written on their site.

Back to the topic. I really dont want to see Wally to the Knicks. The last thing this team needs is another shoot first shooting guard. I also doubt this deal will be done if Spree is not involved. If the Wolves are gonna give up the #2 scorer the Knicks have to give up either Spree or Alenn.

I actualy like this team how it is. With Dyess they have that big man they have lacked in awhile. Providing no injury a starting 3 of

Spree
Dice
Houston

Is enough to make the east playoffs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I would make the trade. I like Spree, but I think it's time for a change. Plus, it's not like Spree does any one thing great.........I mean, he's an okay shooter.......he's an okay penetrate and finisher. I'll take a guy like Wally, who can't be left open, shoots around 50% from the field, younger, and has something to prove. And it's not like I'm a Wally World fan either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts