Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, you guys remember those days. Timmy Hardaway driving dishing shooting, Mitch Richmond the power guard getting off screens posting up firing away from downtown and Chris Mullin, the new generations Larry Bird. the glue of the team, the guy who could do everything. Shoot, pass, rebound, and play smart. The only thing missing was a centre who could rebound, defend and block shots, a guy that could lead the fast break and set the wheels in motion. remember the prizes the Warriors used to give out for reaching a certain level of points. And we all knew they were going to do it. i mean in their hey day together they averaged over 70 points, 18 assists and about 14 rebounds a game. Sure they got beaten in the playoffs but they were still young and learning of each other. than it happened, Don Nelson feeling the heat to go big, trades Richmond for the draft rights to ...... Billy Owens, a guy supposed to have an unstoppable inside/outside game , compared to Magic Johnson, if I remember correctly. Let us all laugh at that comparison!!! As we all know even though Owens dominated in college he was a nobody in the league. Nothing but a cap filler and always traded from the 76ers, to the Pistons, to the Warriors, to the Afghanistan under 40's division league!!! He was an el-busto. As for me I left supporting the Warriors when Richmond, my favourite player at that time was pissed off like yesterdays trash. he would dominate in obscurity with the Kings always putting up huge numbers without anyone giving a damn. anyway that was the end of one of the most exciting trios in basketball. Do not give me this Cassell, Allen, Big Dog trio, because these guys are selfish and in no way make the other players better like Run TMC did!! I know the Warriors also had Timmy, Spree, Webber, Mullin, but this was too brief and did not really have the spark of the early glamour years. if Run TMC had another 2-3 years together, they would have had a great run and taken the Suns, with Barkely and Johnson and the Sonics, with Payton/Kemp and the Spurs with Robinson ,etc to the brink and might have won a championship by now!! well as for the Warriors look what has happened since, a sad sad story. Richmond expressed disappointment at being traded out of Golden State and longed to return, but it was never to be. HOWEVER THE GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS WILL ALWAYS BE KNOWN AS RUN'S HOUSE!!!!! HOLLA BACK WITH YOUR FAVOURITE RUN TMC MEMORIES AND THOUGHTS!! IT IS GOOD TO REMEMBER THE PAST!!!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Great post... Run TMC I would put up in the top three most fun teams on any level ever to watch, along with the University of Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma and Louisville's Doctors of Dunk (though the Doctors of Spunk of the early '90s were fun, too!). I wish Don Nelson wasn't such an idiot...

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Run TMC was sweet. When u talk about the most fun team on any level to watch you must include Loyola Marymount with Bo Kimble and the Late Hank Gathers. you could rest the shot clock batteries on the night they took the floor. They put 150 points on a number of occassions and thats is a ton in college hoops. The purpose of this post was TMC though so let me elaborate on that. A young Hardaway a young Mullin and a young Mitch Richmond. OH NELLIE!!!!!!!!!!! how could u break that up?????:eek: :cry: poor Warriors fans.:no:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
You're right, I totally forgot about that Loyola Marymount team. Here are my top five most exiting teams ever to watch:

1) Loyola Marymount (Gathers, Kimble)
2) Run TMC
3) Louisville's Doctors of Dunk of the 1980 National Championship team
4) U. of Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma
5) Harlem Globetrotters!

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phi Slamma Jamma

Did you guys ever watch that video that came out about the University of Houston and Phi Slamma Jamma. I rented it out at UNLV a few months ago and it went off. They were doing these unbelievable dunk contests, touching the backboard, etc. the funny thing is those guys from Florida, white and that white guy think that they are as good as Hakeem, Drexler, etc. That University of Houston team rocked hard. In those videos they were not only just dunking but dunking in traffic, dunking on the big centres, hanging on the rim, etc. Hakeem looked so raw and did not have the post game then, but still dominated with his height, reach and athleticism. Boy, those were the good days. Run TMC, Phi Slamma Jamma, etc. I always love talking about the past. Present players and teams do not even excite me anymore. Just give me more Hakeem dominating Ewing and Shaq on his way to two championship rings!! let me rememberthat shootout between Wilkins and Bird, Hell I am only 21 in December!!!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I'm five years your junior, and I find it incredibly annoying that my generation knows NOTHING about the past. For example, I'm going to football here, but anyway... I wore an old Deacon Jones jersey they other day, and not ONE PERSON on my football team, other than my coach, knew who "75 Jones" was. The guy had a freaking statistical category invented for him! Somebody else thought Gale Sayers was a weatherwoman. And most younger fans are shocked that Louisville, Georgetown, and Houston dominated an era ("What? Those three teams suck!").

Anyway, I have a tape in my room of a game, Louisville vs. Houston; Doctors of Dunk vs. Phi Slamma Jamma. One of the greatest regular season college basketball games ever. Louisville won (GO CARDS!), but Clyde Drexler made the most amazing play I've ever seen in a basketball game. Billy Thompson, a 6-11 Louisville power forward (one of the best ballhandling forwards in recent memory) was the only one on one end of the court. Clyde steals the ball and is on a fast break, 1-on-1, with Thompson. Billy stops in the lane, about eight feet out from the basket, in position to take the charge. Clyde Drexler jumped OVER HIS HEAD and threw it down. Jumped RIGHT OVER a 6-11 man without much difficulty. His chest was at the same level as the rim, and he had to slap the backboard to keep his head from going through it. It was enough to make Dr. J drool, and guys like Vince Carter and Kobe Bryant just look goofy with their li'l dunks.

Remember the old times...

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MARKETING ISSUES

Also, the game is marketed more with television, radio, etc when opposed to tle olden golden days. I mean how many times do NBA teams change their bloody jerseys now. i still have my hakeem #34 Rockets jersey, you know that one, the red and white. That jersey is better than the newer ones. I never upgrade my old classic jerseys anyway. What is the point of that, the team will probably change it anyway. With the olden players, the young guys of today do not realise how much of an impact the greats had on the game. I mean, Vince, Kobe, all have stolen moves of Jordan, who probably stole moves, of Dr J, West, etc. The youth of today need to learn more about how much harder it was in the 70's and 80's when you had to work harder to get respect!!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I totally agree. What makes me mad is when I see Kobe Bryant come out wearing some old star's uniform, and the only reason he's got it on is because he heard that the guy was a great player. Not wearing it with respect is what I mean. Just to throw this in, the Dream was my favorite player ever. Dream Shake... nicest move in the history of the NBA, if you ask me. If only there were centers like Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Mutumbo, Mourning in their primes to combat Shaq... it'd be a much better game.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dream

Yeah, but Dream could dominate you in so many different ways, not just with strength with Shaq. Did you ever watch the championship game 6 against the Knicks when the Knicks were up 3-2 and Starks spotted up for a three with only a few seconds remaining in the game. You could see Dream slip and then react , get back to his feet and block the shot, saving the Rockets. ewing had a good seven game series but Dream was unstoppable. He was shooting 18 - 20 foot jumpers, blocking shots, passing out of the post, ewing was demoralised. Then in the 1995 finals the 4 game sweep of the magic, Shaq was dominant, but the Dream killed him. Dream averaged about 5 assists per game in that series. The Rockets built a complete team aroung Dream, with snipers and role players who were explosive. Dream, Thorpe, Herrera, Cassell, maxwell, smith, horry, Brooks, Elie, Drexler, etc. When the trade went down for Clyde with Thorpe I could not believe what had happened, a great day in Rockets history. Another memory was Hakeem taking David Robinson to the cleaners in that finals game in 1995. remember that year, Robinson was the MVP and hakeem exposed one of the greatest defensive players of that year. With a flurry of dream shakes, spin moves, lobs and dunks, Robinson did not know what he was in for. Robinson often speaks about that series how he knew the Dream was going to be hard to stop, but not that hard.Do you remember the day Hakeem blocked Shawn kemp three times in a row in the playoffs one game??What about Hakeem's quadruple double, with points, boards, blocks and assists?What about that highlight of Dream showing Ewing the ball in the finals of 1994 turning baseline and flushing all over him! remember that move, that was a classic!Look, Dream could dominate in a lot of more areas than Shaq, in my opinion, with a better and more complete overall game!!!

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Originally posted by kingofkings
The only thing missing was a centre who could rebound, defend and block shots, a guy that could lead the fast break and set the wheels in motion.
Imagine if they had Camby now, only healthy? They would be like the best team ever. I wasn't interested in ball back then but if what you described is true then this would be a perfect solution.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RUN TMC

Yes, that is the kind of guy I was inferring about. Actually Mitch Richmond talked about Vlade Divac being that kind of centre who would have taken Run TMC to the championship. You know, athletic, good defender, shotblocker, etc. Not Vlade of today, but about 3 or 4 years ago.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes us Warriors fans still reminisce about the past. We blame the collapse of the Warriors on Don Nelson even though he won Coach of the Year twice with the Warriors. Presently, Saint is doing an even worse job than Don Nelson.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What they need to do...

1) Get rid of Larry Hughes, they just do not need him right now. Trade him in a package with Fortson for a mid first round pick. Look, another team will do this trade, just to get Fortson.
2) Move Jamison to the four, for about 80% of the games.
3) Draft Skeeta with the #3 pick. he could very well be a future superstar. He is not just hyped for nothing.
4) With mid first round pick, take the best point guard available, ie Dickau, Williams, etc
5) They also have Murphy to back up at the four. Can shift Jamison at times to the three if Murphy is playing
5) Solid but not great Centre combo in Dampier and Foyle. Not superstars but they can defend and are good shotblocking tandem.
6) Start Arenas at the point, rookie to relieve him at times.
7) Also play Arenas at the two guard when J-Rich is having a breather
8) Sura can back up both guard spots

·
Registered
553 Posts
Brings a tear to my eye. Those were the days when the Warriors were something. Nowadays, seems more often than not like we're nothing

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
just a thought

What do y'all think of this?

Say the Warriors draft Dajuan Wagner.

TIM HARDAWAY-Gilbert Arenas
MITCH RICHMOND-Dajuan Wagner
CHRIS MULLIN-Jason Richardson

Say it with me, Run GDJ. If you keep saying it, it will sound better.

But seriously do you think those three would be the closest the Warriors will have come to rebuilding Run TMC?

You have a good point who can score, a crazy scorer and another guy that can score! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RUN TMC

I would not go that far. They have a huge way to go, before they become as good as Mullin, Richmond and Hardaway. these guys are as elite as you can get. Richmond has scored more than 20000 points in the league. Mullin will be a future hall of Famer and Hardaway in his prime was just so explosive and used his quickness to his advantage. But I know what you are saying, about the potential of these current Warriors players to be as good. However, i do no see the warriors drafting a point guard with their pick. I see three options, Dunleavy, Gooden or Skeeta, that is all. the problem here is who backs up Arenas at the point guard spot. Blaylock is finished in my opinion. the only options are to sign a MCinnis, Emmanuel Davis or a Vaughn. These player suck in my opinion. Or maybe trading a Fortson to get Fisher, i don't know, just throwing up ideas!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts