Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
man if they aren't impressed with Westbrook in summer league I would hate to think what they though of Rose, Chalmers, Lopez, CDR, Lee... etc.......
summer league is meaningless. it's nice that westbrook is playing well but it doesn't translate to the nba. he could be the best player in the history of summer leagues and it still wouldn't matter. he had to do it when it actually matters to prove any doubters wrong.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
summer league is meaningless. it's nice that westbrook is playing well but it doesn't translate to the nba. he could be the best player in the history of summer leagues and it still wouldn't matter. he had to do it when it actually matters to prove any doubters wrong.
It's not meaningless, but it's not all-important either. Obviously, when guys like Skita have been named MVP of summer leagues, you've got to know it isn't a direct translation. But depending on what a guy is doing--specifically--and against whom, it can mean something.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
I'm willing to say that I was wrong to an extent about Russell Westbrook, but my continual assertion that he is/was not a Point Guard is not something that I will back down from yet. He was obviously worthy of a lottery pick, so my bad on that. But I also want to stress that putting up the stats that he's dropping on the horrendous [Team that Shall Not Be Named] is not as impressive as if he was doing this anywhere else. But either way, I was wrong about him to an extent, and he's a lot better than I expected.

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
I'm willing to say that I was wrong to an extent about Russell Westbrook, but my continual assertion that he is/was not a Point Guard is not something that I will back down from yet. He was obviously worthy of a lottery pick, so my bad on that. But I also want to stress that putting up the stats that he's dropping on the horrendous [Team that Shall Not Be Named] is not as impressive as if he was doing this anywhere else. But either way, I was wrong about him to an extent, and he's a lot better than I expected.
You can read my mind :eek8:

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
I dunno man. Is he better than expected...yes. But I think he's getting what I like to call "Dickau numbers" check Dan Dickau's numbers when he was the starter for the Hornets when they were so terrible a few years back.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
He's getting the numbers because his team's uptempo style matches his athleticism. He's built like Derrick Rose. He's averaging 15 PPG on 40% shooting, and he gets his numbers because the team gets more possessions. He's the 3rd best rookie behind Rose and OJ. Great pick by the team that used to be my team.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
i think him and Durant are the players they should build around
if anything Jeff Green is the one thats getting inflated numbers IMO

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
He's a good player, but I'm not sure if he's someone you really want to build around. I think he's for sure a starting 2 guard because he can lock guys up and hold his own on offense, but he's never going to be in the top 50% of shooting guards when it comes to offense.

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
Its not really about inflated numbers. Obviously he's the one scoring and hes the one playing the minutes. Its about who the Thunder are going to have to put on the floor if they want to win. He could play like this for the rest of his life but I doubt that OKC wants to lose like this. Now I'm not putting the entire weight of the losses on Westbrooks shoulders but he is the guy in the starting lineup that will most likely give you the most bang for your buck off of the bench. I like him but I just want to see where he is when the Thunder are approaching .500.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Westbrook is getting obscenely overrated, I hear people talking of him as a top 10 pick and comparing him to monta ellis. While both are about the same height and electric on the break, you couldnt have a worse comparison.

Westbrooks jumpshot and handles are both suspect, something that I believe you need to be good at on both categories to be a successful combo guard in the nba. I remember reading someone comparing him to lynsey hunter.

I really like that comparison, maybe a taller more athletic lynsey hunter type guy.
CROW!

·
Registered
726 Posts
What they also forgot to mention that Ellis was an elite scorer. Where are his strengths? Just because Ellis improved doesn't mean Westbrook will.
It has come to fruition. I said on page three that with his rate of improvement he showed while at UCLA he could be pretty special. Kid just keeps getting better.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts